barnsei

Newbie from West Sussex, sunroof issues!?

Hi All,

Aquired back in September an Aqua Blue Pearl 1993 Corrado VR6 all black leather interior.

Bought it with a snapped sunroof cable passenger side. Recently come into hands with a B3 B4 Passat MK3 Jetta Golf Moonroof Sunroof Cable. Will this replace my snapped cable or will it not fit, I don't want to go pulling the thing apart without confirmation to avoid wasted time and energy.

Thanks for all help!

Greg

When you say cable, do you mean the cable repair kit? If there is a part number on it we can compare with the corrado equivalent. Many of the sunroof mechs have interchangeable parts, but the slider and carrier that snap are usually fixed to the end of the cable and may be different. Ideally you want to replace the cable and sliders both sides at the same time.

I’m not a professor on sunroofs and god help me I never will be be but from what I’ve seen of broken ones it’s usually to do with a cast chromed zinc alloy part that looks like a disformed donkeys leg to start with. One of those breaks when it jams and a bit of leg falls out and things start grinding, buggered.

That's the one - the problem is that these are permanently fixed to the cable and can't be replaced on their own - it's nearly always the same part that breaks, usually on the passenger side.

From what I've seen even the B3\B4 and Mk3 mechanisms are not significantly different and often break in the same way, it's just because there are more of them around and they are a little bit younger that you have a better chance of finding one that's not broken. The key seems to be to keep the mechanism well lubricated and clean and operate the sunroof frequently.