captainredeye

Vr6 cooling fan stages

I have had an issue with the 2nd stage not coming on, I have replaced the fan control module with no luck and have now removed the loom to check for any damage.

My question is would the actual fan have a fault where by the second stage has stopped working and the fan has the speeds built into it and the fan module is just a sort of switch or is the fan speed controlled by the module?

You need to turn the ignition on and bridge the 3 pin plug on the bottom of the radiator as described in the guide. If you don’t get the 2 stages to come on as in the guide it’ll be the wiring or the fan control unit where all the wiring goes to. The yellow sensor is for dash temp and after run. Stage 3 is off the black plug in the thermostat housing.

Bridging the plug does work as it’s how I diagnosed my sender being duff as my stage 1 doesn’t work but when I bridge the plug it comes on great.

Well i have bridged the pins and stage 1 is there but not 2, i replaced the module as a couple of diodes had fallen off inside but still no joy, i have removed the loom and have found breaks which are now repaired i will fit it soon and see if i have any luck with it, i was just a little unsure if there was also the speeds built into the fan but im guessing than is controlled by the current so it can't be the fan at fault.

The fan controls the 3 speed but if stage 2 had gone so would stage 3... I think. Basically you have 3 positives and a negative going in, stage 1 goes through 2 resistors, stage 2 goes through 1 and stage 3 is direct 12v. But sounds like you've sorted it anyway

Ok, i have tidied up and repaired the loom after removing it i have every thing back in apart from the black plug with the thick red wire which i can't work out where it goes, im not sure if its directly into the back of the fuse box or if there is a wire with the connecting plug hanging around somewhere but i can't see it, any ideas?