victorpolanco

What engine to choose

I have a 1993 vr6 and I have a blown head gasket but it has upgraded cams and a few other mods currently. I’m Not sure if it caused any damage to the cylinder heads (there are some noises coming from the engine) so to save time and stress I’m thinking of just getting a new engine. What’s the best and most updated/reliable engine I can put in it or should I just try and take my current one apart and repair? Thanks!

I have a 1993 vr6 and I have a blown head gasket but it has upgraded cams and a few other mods currently. I’m Not sure if it caused any damage to the cylinder heads (there are some noises coming from the engine) so to save time and stress I’m thinking of just getting a new engine. What’s the best and most updated/reliable engine I can put in it or should I just try and take my current one apart and repair? Thanks!

If it was up to me I would keep the original engine and rebiuld it better the devil you know then dont, if your near Banbury go and have a chat with Vince form Stealth Racing he is an expert and can advise you on Corrado engine build. It really is your choice.

Suprisngly there is a 2.9 engine block for sale on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-VR6-Engine-2-9-AAA/202586091768?hash=item2f2b1270f8:g:fbYAAOSwjmRcVhEL:rk:3:pf:0

Edited by Keyo

I’m leaning towards just getting a new engine because of the ticking noises I’ve been hearing and because I’ve had overheating issues for a while. I’m thinking a rebuild would be a lot more expensive. Unfortunately I’m in the states or I would talk to him, thanks for your input

If your going down that route then Im sure some of the lads on here can help you.

Dox didnt see the AAA well spotted.

If your going down that route then Im sure some of the lads on here can help you.

Dox didnt see the AAA well spotted.

Is the aaa engine the original one that came in the Corrado’s or is that just a different one that would be easy to install

In Europe the AAA is the 2.8 VR6 engine fitted to the golf. Jetta, Passat, I believe this is the same engine they fitted in the Corrado SLC in the USA I think, in Europe the Corrado VR6 came with a ABV 2.9 engine block. If you can confirm your engine is AAA 2.8 then you should get a block in the USA easily.

This is from Wiki

The second was the twelve valve VR6 engine, which came in two variants: a 2.8 litre 179 bhp (133 kW; 181 PS) model for the United States and Canadian markets, and a 2,861 cc (2.9 L; 174.6 cu in) producing 190 PS (187 bhp; 140 kW) at 5,800 rpm and 245 N⋅m (181 lbf⋅ft) at 4,200 rpm of torque version for the European market, fuel feed by Bosch Motronic 2.7 fuel injection.[6] In the United States, the model VR6 was marketed as the Corrado SLC (sport luxury coupe).

Edited by Keyo

Hi,

I've got an ultra low miles 2.9 ABV vr half engine left over.

It's only run 19.000km's.. Only got the block, pistons, crank, sump rods etc as head was sold ages ago.

Let me know if your interested.

cheers-Andrew

If the head gasket has gone and you are not driving it why not just pull the head off and take a look. If it's cracked the block or done some other severe damage then you've had your decision made for you. Otherwise maybe decide what the future holds for your rado, if you've added cams and fancy more power it's a perfect opportunity to look at turbo and I'd imagine it's bucket loads cheaper for parts over there than here.

Personally I'd stick with a 6 pot, could consider 24v but have a good read up on what's involved. The power is good but I do miss the VR6 engine

Swiftkid is right, to take the head off it is only 2h job if you know what you are doing.

It can't be that bad.

But If you swap. look for another AAA donor. Keep it simple + have some spare parts of your old one.