Keyo

Black magic returns home

Just now, Dox said:

The fan you want to use?

The Hella one I have chap is the same as the last part number with L 450/250/80 

So 450, 250, 80 are Watts, I’d assumed incorrectly they were RPMs.

do you have a multi meter? can you measure resistance of fast and slow speed on the fan?

Just now, Dox said:

So 450, 250, 80 are Watts, I’d assumed incorrectly they were RPMs.

do you have a multi meter? can you measure resistance of fast and slow speed on the fan?

Im afraid not Dox.  

What is your conclusion is the fan a stage three and if so could it possibly work on three stages with only three plug pins compared to a stock four pin rado fan motor ? 

Thanks 

Unless there's a earth connection elsewhere on the fan its a two speed,  you could wire it with an external resistor to make it 3, but you'd need to know fan speeds then make a decision whether to make an extra slow speed or make a speed between the 2 existing ones then fit an appropriate sized resistor.

8 hours ago, Dox said:

Unless there's a earth connection elsewhere on the fan its a two speed,  you could wire it with an external resistor to make it 3, but you'd need to know fan speeds then make a decision whether to make an extra slow speed or make a speed between the 2 existing ones then fit an appropriate sized resistor.

Thanks Dox that is beyond my electrical know how which is limited to say the least. 

Edited by Keyo

If have looked into fan loom in regards to very late fan motor ending with L and have also emailed classics to ask is the fan motor a three or four pin. 

The looms were superseded but only on chassis P and R so in other words there was now update in loom in regards to chassis S 600 - this leads me to think the Fan unit ending with L has four pins and only difference from J is top output of 450. If it does have three pins then it might have a different fan module etc etc. 

536 971 281 E wiring harness for electric fan
F >> 50-P-020 000
rhd 1    

(1) 536 971 281 S wiring harness for electric fan
F 50-R-000 001>>
rhd

Edited by Keyo

Looking a the fan unit that also changed same as loom on P and R no change over on Chassis S 6000. 

Just spoke to Vince and Im going down a week this Saturday with the new Hella fan and shroud and Vince is going to test all three settings to see if this 3 pin works - says might have an internal resistor. 

26 minutes ago, Dox said:

A mate is on there, thebrown911sc

Will have a look love the old porkers. 

Edited by Keyo

Ok an update on the three pin Hella fan - I didn't get to stealth last Saturday as forecast was snow and didn't want to risk the Rado with  bad drivers on the road. Anyway I cant see how it could of worked properly with three pins as speed 2 would be redundant so sent it back and got a refund . So I contacted classics and they have the part below and confirmed it is 4 pin but 400 euro, however I found another seller on ebay from Lithuania for a genuine nos unit for £230. The only difference is the highest setting (3) is 450 rather then 350 which is a good thing in my opinion. 

Genuine Volkswagen Radiator Fan NOS VW SEAT Caddy Corrado Derby 357959455L  Bosch 

Edited by Keyo

19 hours ago, Keyo said:

Ok an update on the three pin Hella fan - I didn't get to stealth last Saturday as forecast was snow and didn't want to risk the Rado with  bad drivers on the road. Anyway I cant see how it could of worked properly with three pins as speed 2 would be redundant so sent it back and got a refund . So I contacted classics and they have the part below and confirmed it is 4 pin but 400 euro, however I found another seller on ebay from Lithuania for a genuine nos unit for £230. The only difference is the highest setting (3) is 450 rather then 350 which is a good thing in my opinion. 

Genuine Volkswagen Radiator Fan NOS VW SEAT Caddy Corrado Derby 357959455L  Bosch 

I can only see this being delivered the same as the one you are sending back. I say this because it ends L, and has no mention of it being the same as J. The one you are sending back was cross referenced to match L too. Have they sent you a photo with 4 pins?

22 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I can only see this being delivered the same as the one you are sending back. I say this because it ends L, and has no mention of it being the same as J. The one you are sending back was cross referenced to match L too. Have they sent you a photo with 4 pins?

I contacted classics mate and asked them how many pins and they said 4. 

Also found this for reference. 

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-599043877-motoventilador-passat-28-357959455l-_JM

It is also listed on etka for corrado. with towing so thats why it got the extra beef power on setting 3 mucker 😄 450 badboys. 

Would attach pics but not working for me today click on link and you will see pics. 

From classics. 

Dear Kieran,

this fan has 4 pins, as far as I can see this was also the only fan fo the ABV engine no matter if the vehicle has ac or not.

Kind regards

That means 4 pins and the only one they have available for corrado and it dont matter if you have aircon or not. 

Edited by Keyo

15 minutes ago, Dox said:

They are all three pins and the ones showing as not available the Vemo and Bosch are 4 pin.  Im not sure why so many are making 3 pin when part number from factory ending with L is 4 pin - also they have the part ending with K and J saying will  fit for 3 pin but all these fans from factory are Bosch 4 pin. I have a k and J fan here and they are both 4 pin. Can anyone make sense of this or they just expect you  only to use two of the settings from the factory electrics ? 

Please note that the final check for compatibility is p
Edited by Keyo

Black magic will be upgraded in the next couple of months  to  my own take on a special edition- just getting the parts together . Here is one of the nos parts that will be needed for one of the upgrades.  This part I will be modding it. 

link.jpg

33 minutes ago, Dox said:

6 speed?

Your thinking is logical- a big reveal will be updated on my thread latter in Spring. 

4 minutes ago, Dox said:

Sequential?

Cant give no more away Dox its just a teaser for now but all will be revealed.