mooG60

Fuel hose size

There is a shot piece of rubber Fuel Hose running from the bulkhead (where it joins the main fuel line) to the inlet of the Fuel Rail on the G60 Digifant System.

Can anyone tell me the diameter of fuel hose needed to fit to the Fuel Rail please?

Cheers

Brilliant thanks!

I presume VW will no longer do them and don't really want to pay their prices so want to source some online.

I may have a had a lucky escape. The fuel flowed out when I moved the pipe a little bit. It's a bit of a cruddy set up considering the manifolds are a few inches below.

luckily my car was cold when I noticed it.

Standard 8mm fuel injection hose available from any motor factors/parts supplier will work fine. Some of these hoses are still available from VW, but as you say they could be pricey.

Good stuff - let us know how you get on - that link should be useful for anyone else on here looking to get some, and I see they do all different sizes too.

Yes that’s the correct hose.. same as what I have used.

But if anyone is going to buy some generic hose from a motor factor just make sure the spec is SAE J30 R9 for fuel injection use as this spec is designed for the increasing amount of ethanol the oil refinery's are now putting in the petrol.

Also its best to avoid the use of worm drive clips if you can, the proper way is to use oem style single or double ear clamps for a tight and even clamping pressure around the hose,the ones I ended up using is the one one the right hand side.

I was a little bit worried about the worm clips but that's what they listed to accompany the hose.

Currently have a worm clip on the fuel rail end, but the bulk head joint is an ear clamp. I will have to use the worm clips for now and get a garage to fit some ear clamps later on.

Having said that using and ear clamp on the rail side would make removing the pipe hard work for maintenance.

Thanks for the advice!

Hah - I think I'll be paying that site a visit! After doing some work on my fuel pump the other day I noticed that a 50cm length of line I put in about 2 years ago for a non-return valve was all cracked and perished, in some places right down to the inner braiding - you could even just peel bits of the outer housing off.

Bought in a reputable motor factors with SAE/DIN ratings, but was only R6/7 - so be warned.

Seems strange, because there is no heat or contamination in that area.

The package arrived this morning, ordered Monday evening.

Not much to comment on other than it feels pretty chunky compared to the hose on my car. Haven't offered it up yet though to compare. Will go and have a look in a bit.

I bought 2 meters @ £3.50 p/m and 8 clips total package was £15.25

1 meter will cost you £3.99

worm clips 34p each

postage £2.95

prices are excluding VAT

*Edit*

I thought the hose on the car looked thinner but I just checked now and there is no difference at all.

There is a small piece of hose slotted over the main hose for wear protection, hopefully that will slide off and go the new piece.

Edited by mooG60

On 4/25/2019 at 2:40 PM, mooG60 said:

The package arrived this morning, ordered Monday evening.

Not much to comment on other than it feels pretty chunky compared to the hose on my car. Haven't offered it up yet though to compare. Will go and have a look in a bit.

I bought 2 meters @ £3.50 p/m and 8 clips total package was £15.25

1 meter will cost you £3.99

worm clips 34p each

postage £2.95

prices are excluding VAT

*Edit*

I thought the hose on the car looked thinner but I just checked now and there is no difference at all.

There is a small piece of hose slotted over the main hose for wear protection, hopefully that will slide off and go the new piece.

Did this hose work thanks I think you were replacing fuel hose 14A . The engine bay feed and return hoses for a g60 are obsolete, you can get the the single hose on the other still though. 

14 and 14a obsolete   - 20 available 

Diagram 

https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?function=getParts&market=RDW&model=COR&modelcode=76&year=1994&group=1&subgroup=133&part=38000&pid=3181&language=en

Something to add regarding SAE J30 R9 fuel hose, be aware that there is a lot of this hose about that's not what is meant to be and is also sold by big name parts suppliers.

Some of this hose is cheap Chinese tat that is marked as SAE J30 R9,  this stuff is not very E10 fuel tolerant and can/will crack with the hot under bonnet temps. I changed all my Fuel hoses with Codan branded hose which is SAE J30 R9 rated .

You can get it from this place and has more details regarding fuel hose standards......  http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

1 hour ago, Bauhaus said:

Something to add regarding SAE J30 R9 fuel hose, be aware that there is a lot of this hose about that's not what is meant to be and is also sold by big name parts suppliers.

Some of this hose is cheap Chinese tat that is marked as SAE J30 R9,  this stuff is not very E10 fuel tolerant and can/will crack with the hot under bonnet temps. I changed all my Fuel hoses with Codan branded hose which is SAE J30 R9 rated .

You can get it from this place and has more details regarding fuel hose standards......  http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

Thanks mate can you conform inner diameter for feed and return lines - cheers. 

11 hours ago, Keyo said:

Thanks mate can you conform inner diameter for feed and return lines - cheers. 

The ideal internal dia is 7.6mm but the nearest Codan hose is either 7.3mm or 7.9mm, I went for 7.3mm as I like a nice snug fit on fuel hoses. Codan hose is expensive but worth it in view of safety and piece of mind.

Ive attached a pic of the Codan hose I used, the other pic is of left over generic SAE J30 R9 hose I originally used which only lasted 18 months before fuel started pissing out.IMG_20220113_085048.jpgIMG_20220113_084959.jpg

Thanks very much for the good information - mine are not leaking but hard so on borrowed time. 

a) Please may i ask are the feed and return line 14 and 14a both the same diameter . 

b) How many meters do i require. 

c) Can i use the stock size oe butterfly clamps on this hose. 

d)  Does not matter they are not in the moulded shape like oe.  

Cheers. 

For a Corrado G60 I purchased 1 meter of fuel hose which will do fuel feed and return in the engine bay plus the fuel pressure sensor where most leaks occur, no idea how much for a VR6 you would need.

Not sure if the std hose outside diameter is the same tbh, but measuring the Codan with a mic it comes out at 12.75mm OD.  For an easier install maybe a 7.9mm internal dia hose is better but I prefer the hoses to be tighter fit which takes a little more effort at 7.3mm.

Personally I have not had any problems with the hoses not being shape moulded but have heard that some people using very hot water to attempt to shape the hose before fitting, but the hose is flexible anyway.

The hose clamps I use are the stainless crimp types, just need a pair of pincers and a strong hand to put them on..IMG_20220114_084538.jpg

3 hours ago, Bauhaus said:

For a Corrado G60 I purchased 1 meter of fuel hose which will do fuel feed and return in the engine bay plus the fuel pressure sensor where most leaks occur, no idea how much for a VR6 you would need.

Not sure if the std hose outside diameter is the same tbh, but measuring the Codan with a mic it comes out at 12.75mm OD.  For an easier install maybe a 7.9mm internal dia hose is better but I prefer the hoses to be tighter fit which takes a little more effort at 7.3mm.

Personally I have not had any problems with the hoses not being shape moulded but have heard that some people using very hot water to attempt to shape the hose before fitting, but the hose is flexible anyway.

The hose clamps I use are the stainless crimp types, just need a pair of pincers and a strong hand to put them on..IMG_20220114_084538.jpg

Its for my G60 not my VR. 

Thankyou for all your help - so the 7.3 mm codan is the same thickness as hose no 20 on diagram ? I was going to order the original but just phoned dealers only available in Germany in classics which will take weeks- i can do all three then if the same size. 

Diagram 

https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?function=getParts&market=RDW&model=COR&modelcode=76&year=1994&group=1&subgroup=133&part=38000&pid=3181&language=en

Thank You great help on this matter you have been. 

Edited by Keyo

On 1/19/2022 at 12:54 AM, mooG60 said:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, just saw this now.

Seems that you have got it sorted though.

No worries Moo - its all sorted now even fitted x1 - will do the other 2 when i get a chance- the one pipe was horrid i took off - really crusty - essential job . 

Tackling these jobs is hard work at the best of times, having to fettle 3 vdubs is pure commitment mate.

I'm sure all the hard work is worthwhile though when you take a look on your driveway 👍

2 minutes ago, mooG60 said:

Tackling these jobs is hard work at the best of times, having to fettle 3 vdubs is pure commitment mate.

I'm sure all the hard work is worthwhile though when you take a look on your driveway 👍

Thanks Moo. The G60 is back home from Jabba now and just got to change the matrix - do x 2 fuel line- change the coolant hoses and she is good to go once interior back in. 

10 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Thanks Moo. The G60 is back home from Jabba now and just got to change the matrix - do x 2 fuel line- change the coolant hoses and she is good to go once interior back in. 

I like my little run outs to Jabba, apart form the £ aspect of course. 

Have fun, I am enjoying seeing the progress.