Popeye775

Weird ticking noise

Hey guys, so I made a pretty rookie mistake. I was replacing my starter (I have replaced starters before just not on a car where it is also mounted to the engine mount) and didn't realize that it was mounted to the engine mount. Long story short, the motor dropped about a half inch. I got everything back up and bolted up but there is now this sound coming from the pully side of my engine bay. Here is a clip of the sound. Any ideashttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZSvl0sFYWw&feature=youtu.be?

Hello there,

I presume your Corrado is a G60,

if so the super charger is also belt driven,

you say your engine dropped about an inch or so, when you unbolted the starter motor,

I wouldn't of thought anything in the cam belt area would have been damaged or knocked,

as the engine would have dipped down towards the front support cross member,

unless the water pump pulley got knocked or the power steering did.

The only other thing is if the auxiliary ribbed belt got pinched, when or if it hit the support cross member, as that might cause a slight ticking sound.

Or are there any plastic guards around the lower part of the auxiliary ribbed belt,

I know there's normally one over the alternator pulley at the top, but can't see that being able to have been knocked when your engine dropped.

It does sound like something might be catching,

or could be a idler pulling or tensioner pulley on the way out.

The cam belt tensioner pulleys on those 1.8 and 2.0 engine blocks are renowned for seizing up and becoming notchy.

If in doubt take it to your local trusted garage, and get them to double check it.

Si

Hey! So it seems to be the tensioner pulley, and I am going to replace the timing belt as well while replacing that. When I sprayed the tensioner pulley with some WD-40, the sound was definitely effected. I will check out these other things as well that you mentioned, thank you!!