DaveVR

Which Dipstick?

I’m looking at buying a new dipstick for my VR6 because the top loop has snapped off. What is left is a red piece I can just grab with pliers which isn’t ideal. On VW Heritage there is an option of two, one which has a red top and one with an orange one, my assumption is they may be different lengths?

My plan was just to replace with like for like but there’s a chassis break given, before 50-P-009-001 is red and after is orange. Reading my chassis no the letter after the 50 is Z which i assume is after the break, then there’s an SK which i assume is ignored, but the numbers are 000267 which would be before the break. Which one takes precedence?

I’m aware the car may not be on its original engine and so the like for like thing may be the best bet, or perhaps it doesn’t matter at all and they’re simply different colours?!

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

The Z can be ignored and is not relevant - just a place holder. For example, my VIN is WVWZZZ50ZPK006xxx, where the P and the last four digits are the important bits - mine is a 93, and would be an early VR with a distributor, so red dipstick according to your info above.

This is weird just checked my dipstick as its red and a late 95 VR6 . It looks the same shape as the late version dipstick on VW Heritage but has part number like the early dipstick part number but last letter is an L , any advice folks ?

Late dipstick

https://www.vwheritage.com/021115607-oil-dipstick-for-vr6-vw-spare

My dipstick part looks like part number 021 115 611 L

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96959[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96960[/ATTACH]

Ok so my chassis is WVWZZZ50ZSK000267 so if the Z is to be ignored mine is after the chassis break as S is later than P, is this correct?

If that is the case I should have an orange one and the one fitted is wrong, unless it has an early engine in it.

I’m wondering what the difference is, if it’s just the colour then the debate is erroneous, i don’t see why they should be different lengths but if they are, that’s a different matter.

Yes yours is a S chassis which would be manufactured in 95.

What is the part number of the dipstick you have fitted, see my photos above mine also is a S chassis and is red but looks the same as the orange one. I believe the Late dipstick was the same as the Mk3 and other 2.8 VR6 blocks like passat, sharan, so the same for a 2.8 or 2.9 block, however confusingly different part numbers.

Just look at the two types for sale on VW Heritage to see the visual difference.

I have my engine number on a sticker next to the fuel lines above the aux belt , maybe yours is still there to, however this is only proof that the head is the original part of the engine, the late Vr6 has an engine number stamped on the lower part of engine block and early models on the side I believe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96966[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo

Oil Dipstick

Part Number: 021115607 VW HERITAGE PART NUMBER FOR LATE VR6 2.9

Supersession(s): 021115611L MY DIPSTICK HAS THIS PART NUMBER

Fits Corrado, Golf, Jetta, Passat

2 people have looked at this part recently

Ships Fast From Atlanta, GA

DIAGRAMS AND KITS

WHAT THIS FITS

Clicking these links will change the year of your vehicle selection

Volkswagen (VW) Corrado 1991

Volkswagen (VW) Corrado 1.8L G60 1989, 1990

Volkswagen (VW) Corrado 2.8L 6 Cylinder 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995

Volkswagen (VW) Golf 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999

Volkswagen (VW) Jetta 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999

Volkswagen (VW) Passat 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997

Looks like the 2.8 and 2.9 share the same dipstick.

I'm unable to check the part number of mine because the loop has snapped off! i just have the stub left which I can grab with a p[air of pliers. However, it is red but visually looks more like the orange later type on VW Heritage (it has the seal on it and not the ribbed section as per the red one on there). It seems the later one has sold out now as well so I can't buy it anyway!

I'm unable to check the part number of mine because the loop has snapped off! i just have the stub left which I can grab with a p[air of pliers. However, it is red but visually looks more like the orange later type on VW Heritage (it has the seal on it and not the ribbed section as per the red one on there). It seems the later one has sold out now as well so I can't buy it anyway!

https://www.online-teile.com/volkswagen-ersatzteile/021115607_Oil-Dipsti.html?language=en

The transmission dipstick is usually located next to the transmission in a housing tube, and it has marks on it indicating where the fluid levels should be. Find the transmission dipstick, and check it regularly, with tips from an auto repair shop manager in this free video on car maintenance.