Jonnyo

Abs pump 358614217 :)

Intermittent suggests a bad soldered joint, get you soldering iron out

If you can open it up and inspect the PCB and cable for damage to the solder, it might be an easy fix for any electronics repairer - this is most often what is wrong with them, but your mileage may vary - there was a Sprinter write up on this recently.

5 minutes ago, fendervg said:

If you can open it up and inspect the PCB and cable for damage to the solder, it might be an easy fix for any electronics repairer - this is most often what is wrong with them, but your mileage may vary - there was a Sprinter write up on this recently.

It’s all BBA do, there are no new spares available for these units

1 hour ago, Dox said:

It’s all BBA do, there are no new spares available for these units

I've seen about 5 of them, all with the same damage to the PCB, caused by heat soak and road dirt and wet being thrown up underneath. The valves and pumps rarely go bad unless the brake fluid has been contaminated or the pump has been left empty on the shelf for a while after being removed from a car, most often the case with s/h units. 

The only really interesting part in the WD episode with BBA is that they had a cool little black box unit made up for testing the valves etc. off the car, but probably does not do anything different to what the ABS ECU checks during the self-test. Once the valves are moving, then a clean, paint job and re-flowing the solder are the rest of the refurb. Some pumps units will be so badly damaged that they can't be rescued.

I always love pointing out the horrendously expensive (think price of a second VR6) ABS pump unit you cans till get new from Classic Parts, but the site is down for maintenance at the moment.

17 hours ago, fendervg said:

So, if the fault goes away when the unit warms up, it is hopefully a solder problem.

Why would the mileage vary?

I just meant that different units could have other faults, but this seems to be the most common. Meant along the lines of your experience could be different!

8 minutes ago, fendervg said:

I just meant that different units could have other faults, but this seems to be the most common. Meant along the lines of your experience could be different!

Thanks, makes perfect sense.

On 1/26/2021 at 6:12 PM, Keyo said:

Anyone ever used these or is it the new BBA company ? 

https://www.abs-repair.co.uk/volkswagen-audi-abs-fault-brake-pressure-sensor-failure/

This domain is owned by Sinspeed who appear to be an establised company in Deptford and do not seem to have any links to BBA-Reman.

I've had an email exchange with them and they assure me that the work is all in house and that they do not outsource the repairs. Not cheap, but think they may be able to help.

I think the BBA-Reman may resurface as Black Box Electronics Ltd . Read the full Liquidator's progress report here https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04368842/filing-history