Jonnyo

Abs pump 358614217 :)

Ooo not sure I will check.. I know it’s the 2.9 vr6 and it’s L reg. the part number as in the title. 358614217

ABS pumps for VR6 have been extensively discussed, and are sadly hard to source in good working order. What do you believe is wrong with it? Have you pulled the fault codes from the ABS control unit?

Only asking this as there are plenty of other parts that can fail in the system that are cheaper.

If you've just won the lottery, VW are still selling them new for just over £1000. Other options are a second hand one, but many of those are also fauly, or some have had luck getting a company called BBA-Reman to chekc them over and refurb. however the feedback seems to be mixed. This will still cost you a couple of hundred with no guarantee that the donor unit is repairable.

Some have opened them up and noticed that bad solder joints on the PCB on the bottom could be causing the problems and have had these repaired.

Or, ever more popular, is to do an ABS delete, or upgrade to a later more modern system from the Mk3/Passat, but this is not a two spanner job and you need to source the parts.

Hope this helps a little with the options, you might get offered a part on here, or other helpful info.

Edited by fendervg

Thanks for all the info.

I just had a reply from a company called “Ecu testing” they are sending mine back just saying they can’t do anything with it. Do you think I should give BBA a call?

The fault codes are as follows:

00280 valve 2 for differential lock -N126-lost23

00279 valve 1 for differential lock -N125-lost23

Thanks.

Yes or upgrade your abs system to Teves20 , can be found on the forum if you use search function.

I do have an abs ECU available but I dealt this would solve your problem but I'm no expert on the system, maybe others could advise.

Edited by Keyo

Thanks for all the info.

I just had a reply from a company called “Ecu testing” they are sending mine back just saying they can’t do anything with it. Do you think I should give BBA a call?

The fault codes are as follows:

00280 valve 2 for differential lock -N126-lost23

00279 valve 1 for differential lock -N125-lost23

Thanks.

I can't ever remember seen those codes before? Has your ABS ever worked?

We reset it once and the codes went away. As soon as I tried to use the abs they came back.

I don’t think I can afford an upgrade of the abs so would prefer to keep it standard if possible.

Member eugopnosaj had the same codes and bought a used pump off Sean_Jaymo but didn't say if the pump fixed the issue, maybe PM eugopnosaj Jason?

G60/16V user a different pump setup - the one we have here is RHD VR6 specific, Teves04. I've never seen any codes mentioning the diff lock valves , but I had outlet valve error codes on mine when it was faulty and the only thing that fixed it was a replacement pump.

The real issue though is that you have no way of knowing if any second-hand unit is ok without testing it.

Output at printer VAG 1551 Possible cause of malfunction Correction

00279 1223

Differential Lock Valve 1 -N125

Faulty wiring, wiring connection or valve coil.

Remedy - Test wiring, wiring connections and valve coil:

I've got an entire ABS system I've just removed from my 1995 VR6 in full working condition, removed to fit Teves20 system. Light came on and went off as usual, no ABS fault codes as I scanned it before removal, only minor issue was at low speeds abs would start trying to help out, this is the pedal position sensor which has been discussed in numerous conversations but tbh I lived with it for 7 years, the fix is to take it apart and clean/resolder joints inside but you can just use your sensor.

Wanting £150 but this is literally an entire ABS system, including rear sensors which were replaced recently but not front as I needed them.

Hello swift kid. Thank you would you consider just selling the abs pump?

So using my pedal position, in theory i should not have that low speed problem? Correct?

So using my pedal position, in theory i should not have that low speed problem? Correct?

No one can guarantee you that, changing the pedal sensor is a 5 min job, changing the ecu is a 15 min job, neither will need to have the brakes bled after so either / both are a good starting point.

Changing the pump is 20 mins or so, but bleeding the brakes can be time consuming - they don't bleed up well after going dry.

As mentioned I have a ECU abs for sale, even if it does not solve your issue a good spare part non the less . .

Edited by Keyo

What was the company they used on the episode of Wheeler Dealers to fix a faulty pump? they looked pretty thorough?

BBA Reman, there's no new parts available, they just test, build you a Frankenstein unit, test and give a lifetime warranty, so basically they do their best to keep us legal.

Ok so I spoke to bba and they are confident they can fix my pump with those error codes for £150 and give me a lifetime Warrenty. I’m going to check tomorrow that the Warrenty is on the whole unit not just the valves that need fixing and if so probably go ahead with that. Now I’m going to have to look for the wheeler dealer episode 🤓

Hi Jonnyo, did you get BBA to do the job for you? It's just that I have the same intermittant fault 00280 on mine.

Feedback on BBA varies and the original company is being wound up so I'm hesitant........

Thanks

32 minutes ago, totallyoriginal said:

Hi Jonnyo, did you get BBA to do the job for you? It's just that I have the same intermittant fault 00280 on mine.

Feedback on BBA varies and the original company is being wound up so I'm hesitant........

Thanks

Not like you have a lot of choice- was told last week bba have started up in another name so send it off  .