jarques2005

M reg 16v 9A engine swop for a AGN Egine, has anyone done this?

Hi, I have a 1994 that I am contemplating on changing the engine as mine has done some miles and I want to keep it normal aspirated, I know the AGU engine is a direct fit onto my standard gearbox (as far as I know) but I wonder if anyone has done a AGN engine swop and are there any harness adapters around like for the AGU engine?

Thanks,

AGU is a 20vt isn't it, so not normally aspirated. What is the AGN engine?

If you're not going to up the power then an engine swap really isn't worth the time and effort in my opinion, better off keeping it original and rebuilding the engine you've got

AGU as far as I know is the 1.8 turbo and AGN is the 20v none turbo. I haven't got the facility to recondition my existing one and at 215k it will need a bit to do it properly. So my thinking was straight swop and doing another 100k

Swapping from a 9a to a 20v or a 20vt would be a similar swap I reckon. The only difference being some intercooler piping as you'll still need a custom downpipe, custom loom etc etc.

The loom itself I'd imagine to be very similar, CE2 swapping to something of that era isn't too difficult, heck I made my own conversion loom by picking up a wiring diagram and teaching myself. Clubgti pretty much has a full DIY loom conversion guide on the 1.8t, which as I said, should be very similar to the 20v.

Having driven a 1.8 20v non turbo you'll be highly disappointed compared with the 9a. If you are not in search of power and you only want to carry on driving the rado as it is I'd advise sourcing another 9a which you can either swap over or rebuild at your leisure, looking for an ABF (mk3 golf) or getting something like a 150bhp 1.8t.

Yep I'd agree with swiftkid, the 20v non turbo is a ****te engine (I have one in a Passat to potter to the rail station and back .. terrible) so not worth the time and effort. Don't understand your comment that you don't have the facility to recon your existing engine? If you can do an engine swap you can do a mini overhaul on a 16v, they're very basic. Cost wise, you'd probably do it for less than a swap too.

If you're gonna do a swap, get an ABF or 20vt as mentioned.

Even the newest AGU or AGN is almost 15 years old now so very few will have low miles and/or be in good shape to stick straight in, even if you did want to risk it from what would likely be an unknown source. As mentioned, get another 9A and refurb at your leisure.

Thanks for the replies, the feeling is if it is for horsepower then a swop is worth it if just reliability then recon my one, so I have been looking today and found an accident damaged Golf (still running)with an AGU engine and mileage are bellow 80k with old services, if it runs well I might consider as a bit more power would be welcomed. If it is a relatively esay swop I can get a access to a ramp for 2 maybe 3 days, how big of a job is it?

Swapping into a corrado is the same as a Mk2 Golf, been done thousands of times and well detailed on many forums, so with some research you should be a'ok to do it in 2/3 days. It all comes down to how much of a perfectionist you are mind, I always spend waaay to long doing other bits when I have an engine out :p

Oh, you can buy looms already converted and ready to plug and play for about £200 off ebay etc, probably worth it for ease as you can sell all the bits you remove to get cash back

The physical swap is dead easy, mounts are off the shelf and you could probably get it done within a day - the time consuming bit is the little extra's, boost pipes etc. If you do your research, make sure you have all the parts there and ready to go on I don't see why you couldn't get it done but be prepared to not have it done in time (waiting on forgotten parts)

Another vouch for the 20v non turbo being a completely breathless weezy dog of an engine... to the point I seem to remember VW stopped using it in the GTI badged non turbo MK4 and went back to the 8v lump.

Like others have said I would recon the 9a or look at a ABF - a few subtle mods and they go so well, head port etc, or a factory 150bhp with the 20vt - but dare I say it they are a little boring without a few mods.

I've done an engine rebuild on a 9A 16v. The cost of the bottom end rebuild wasn't crazy (around £500) it was the cost of all the other things that I hadn't factored in that really added up.

If you are on the original clutch then you'd be crazy to not put one on at this point.

All the engine mounts will need replacing if they haven't been done.

Do you need to get the cylinder head refurbished at the same time? Probably

The original coolant hoses probably won't seal again.

Check that your subframe is in good condition.

Non-genuine rear main oil seals don't seal. Geninue one's are v.expensive.

I ended up spending quite a bit more than I first budgeted. In hindsight a low mile ABF would have been a much cheaper replacement if you aren't too concerned about originality.

Neil

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I will do the turbo conversion now and sell my old 16v engine, maybe to someone it could be worth something.

The irony is I have a really good low mileage 9A engine in my second Corrado that I bought as a barn find, been standing sealed up in garage for 12 years, bodywork and inside is close to new but my high mileage one is my daily runner. Just one last thing, between other GTI forums there seems to be mixed opinions on engines, some say AGU and others said AUM, is there a preferred engine and forgive my ignorance but the old Audi A3 engines are they the same as the VW ones, I assume they are.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I will do the turbo conversion now and sell my old 16v engine, maybe to someone it could be worth something.

The irony is I have a really good low mileage 9A engine in my second Corrado that I bought as a barn find, been standing sealed up in garage for 12 years, bodywork and inside is close to new but my high mileage one is my daily runner. Just one last thing, between other GTI forums there seems to be mixed opinions on engines, some say AGU and others said AUM, is there a preferred engine and forgive my ignorance but the old Audi A3 engines are they the same as the VW ones, I assume they are.

The AUM is a later spec engine with VVT and the KO3S variant of the turbo which will produce more power if you intend to map it... but it's drive by wire so sorting the throttle can cause issues - you would technically need the AGU throttle setup.

If you're going for the holy grail of 20vt engines you need a BAM code engine from the TT - factory 225BHP - software to 265-ishBHP and stronger internals

You can buy a rough bodied BAM engined TT now for sub £1k, xenon headlamps sell for 200 per pair, I’ve just sold a red leather interior for £300, so buying carefully and the conversion will cost you nothing