ABV-VR6

Can someone please explain to me what does this do?

Valvers have a cable clutch, us VR6'ers live a life of luxury with our la-dee-dah hydro clutch :thumbleft:

I thought all Corrados had a hydraulic clutch?

OP as swiftkid says, this converts cars with cable operated clutch, such as Mk2 Golf, to a hydraulic operation [when used with a matching gearbox of course]. Generally a better and lighter clutch pedal, although I never bothered on my Mk2s as there's a lot less to go wrong with a cable operated one!

Correct - pretty sure all Corrados had a cable operated hydraulic clutch with master and slave cylinder arrangement fed by a pipe from the brake fluid reservoir. This is why a lot of Mk2 owners like to steal stuff our of them for their conversions.

Does look like a handy kit though - depending on the quality of the components I suppose, but the total price is a lot cheaper than getting them OEM quality individually. The clutch master looks interesting as a possible replacement for the early type with a ring loop attachment?

Edited by fendervg

I think the very early first Corrado's from 1988 possibly up to early-ish 1989 were fitted with the 5 speed MK2 Golf gearbox, whether that was cable or hydraulic in 1988 ?

They suffered ill matched gear ratios,

so quickly changed to the Passat 5 speed gearbox, which matched the car and engines better in the Corrado at the time.

The MK2 Golf gearbox has a close gear ratio, so is very quick off the mark,

but the top end in 5 gear wasn't low ratio enough, but in the Passat VW I think preferred the longer gear ratios, which is why the Corrado feels more like a Grand Tourer (GT) cruiser, 3rd gear is especially well matched in this Passat box, it really allows you to use the power for a lot longer before changing up,

whereas the MK2 Golf box you'd be changing gear a lot sooner.

In my Corrado 2.0 16v I can cruise in 5th gear at 30MPH, whereas in my old MK2 Scirocco which used the MK2 Golf box,

I'd have to change down to 4th.

This is what I've read and from my own personal experience with these two gearbox set ups.

Si

Could have sworn my old 89 valver had a cable clutch but that was over 10 years ago and I've worked on tonnes of mk2's since so chances are my memory is playing tricks on me. If that's the case we all have lah-dee-dah clutches unlike our poor relation the mk2

I guess technically the Mk2 has a cable actuated clutch, as it's a bowden cable from the pedal to the release arm with the weight on it. But the shift linkage is solid, with rods and levers.

The Corrado and later types is hydraulically actuated, but the shift linkage is cable operated, so it's confusing for sure!

I guess technically the Mk2 has a cable actuated clutch, as it's a bowden cable from the pedal to the release arm with the weight on it. But the shift linkage is solid, with rods and levers.

The Corrado and later types is hydraulically actuated, but the shift linkage is cable operated, so it's confusing for sure!

Thank you that made me understand clearly, much appreciated.

I guess the other thing that confused me was in the title, seems like it's for a VR6 and not for a VR6 swap...

Thanks to all for your time and explanation, you guys are awesome.

Cheers and good day!

Hi swiftkid,

Sorry to change the subject but I noticed the comment I have worked on tons of MK2 golfs.

Does that mean you have some parts stored away still ha ? Im after some Mk2 Golf CE2 clocks 16V 160 mph 8000 revs.

Thanks

My cogs at the back of the odometer(mileage recorder) must have failed as my mileage recorder and restart is stuck. Speedo is working though.

Edited by Keyo

Hi swiftkid,

Sorry to change the subject but I noticed the comment I have worked on tons of MK2 golfs.

Does that mean you have some parts stored away still ha ? Im after some Mk2 Golf CE2 clocks 16V 160 mph 8000 revs.

Sorry I could have helped a few years back when I shared a unit with 2 mk2 golf's in many bits but those are long gone. If you are struggling I know a guy that probably has one

Sorry I could have helped a few years back when I shared a unit with 2 mk2 golf's in many bits but those are long gone. If you are struggling I know a guy that probably has one

If you don't mind mate I'm looking for the CE2 clocks.

Many thanks.