Westr

Air filter box explanation

Hi sorry if this sounds a really stupid question. I’ve not long had my Corrado VR6 and it’s been a good few years since I owned my previous one so I’m struggling to remember. Anyway the previous owner of this one has drilled a number of holes in the air filter box. Which ok that was his preference but it’s not my sort of thing I find it too noisy at low revs and holes were on the engine side as well. I’ve looked into a new one but they are selling for stupid money so I decided to fill the holes in myself. Fiddly job but it works and that’s done. My question is the air box just floats around in the engine bay loose. And butts up to a hole behind the offside light cluster I don’t remember my old VR being like this i.e loose but I may be forgetting. I’ve noticed the small insert that slides out from the front of the air filter box. I removed the plastic behind the light cluster to see if the insert slides through the hole to secure the unit but it doesn’t fit through. Should there be a gasket at the front of this insert and that sticks to it? Can’t see any diagrams on my service manual to show me and it’s becoming frustrating any advice appreciated. Thankyou.

Edited by Westr

There is a gasket I think, but not really needed.

The airbox should be held in place by 2-4 (can't remember exactly how many) rubber loops that hook onto the casing and the engine bay area behind the headlight - you should be able to see these if you have a hunt for them. This allows the airbox to "float" a bit while being damped and also held securely in place.

Ah brilliant yes now I remember that makes sense, thanks very much I shall have a hunt online and see if i can source them.

Ah brilliant yes now I remember that makes sense, thanks very much I shall have a hunt online and see if i can source them.

I've seen people use cable ties successfully, but that won't give the slight movement that's needed.

I’ve just bought some of the rubber hoops that hold the air box down, can’t remember where from though sorry. Sure they where from eBay.