jadevolley

1993 Volkswagen Corrado Shifter Bushing Rebuild modification of Shift Rod Guide 535 711 055 D

This is a video describing the necessary modifications in order to fit the UroTuning Shift Bushing Rebuild Kit (9 Pcs) | Mk3 VR6. UroTuning was helpful in selling this kit (specifically 535 711 055 D) but some specific Dremel modifications were necessary in order to fit within the shifter box linkage. Approximately 6mm was cut from bottom end AND a groove needed to be Dremel-ed from the short section in order to accommodate the large, main retaining pin.

Very handy - I have all the bushings for both the gearbox and the cabin side, so this will be on my list of "Corrado things to do during lock down!"

On 3/31/2020 at 9:22 AM, fendervg said:

Very handy - I have all the bushings for both the gearbox and the cabin side, so this will be on my list of "Corrado things to do during lock down!"

or just send your shifter to daves16v & he will modify it so it just drops in with the help of a little dremmeling 😉

5 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

or just send your shifter to daves16v & he will modify it so it just drops in with the help of a little dremmeling 😉

You'll need a dremel to remove your old one to send to Dave, as the pin won;t go past the lip of the opening. One of his short shifts is on my list too, but I just want to rebuild the standard one first to see what it feels like - then I'm waiting to get hold of a spare mech to send to Dave so I won't be without a car during the turnaround.

His work is highly spoken of and I've used his lock repair set before with great success.

26 minutes ago, fendervg said:

You'll need a dremel to remove your old one to send to Dave, as the pin won;t go past the lip of the opening. One of his short shifts is on my list too, but I just want to rebuild the standard one first to see what it feels like - then I'm waiting to get hold of a spare mech to send to Dave so I won't be without a car during the turnaround.

His work is highly spoken of and I've used his lock repair set before with great success.

i have one of daves16v short shifters on the VR6 & it is cracking - i found it helped give much more positive gear selection, especially 2nd to 3rd when giving some beans

25 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

i have one of daves16v short shifters on the VR6 & it is cracking - i found it helped give much more positive gear selection, especially 2nd to 3rd when giving some beans

That sounds very good mine is very mushy. 

Yeah, I've only ever heard positive feedback about them, so definitely on my list - especially compared to some of the other short shift options out there.

You can reduce side to side throw with a billet replacement of the gear cable bracket on the gear box, but I find on my car that I don't really have a problem with side to side throw, more front to back - which is very long.

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

That sounds very good mine is very mushy. 

the throw is so much more positive & shorter front to back - ive not crunched a 2nd to 3rd change at speed since fitting it 😄

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I'm still around albeit without a Corrado on the drive.........yet.

With the forum upgrade I'm surprised my post made it, subscription now isn't it? I've not paid a penny yet.

I’ve still got my short shifter to fit. Definitely one of the jobs to do during the lock down I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 hours ago, daves16v said:

With the forum upgrade I'm surprised my post made it, subscription now isn't it? I've not paid a penny yet.

Wouldn't be the same without you and the quality parts you supply, Daves16v! You should probably get an honorary membership.

I'll be in touch re a short shifter once I've got hold of a spare unit I can send over to you in exchange.