ABV-VR6

Driver Edition Brake Parts

Top man

I had a look around last night but couldn't find anything definitive.

I can't imagine there being variation in such a widely fitted caliper though? 

6 minutes ago, stuarttaylor37 said:

Top man

I had a look around last night but couldn't find anything definitive.

I can't imagine there being variation in such a widely fitted caliper though? 

Just go with the part numbers cant go wrong that way- the piston is part of the gasket kit mentioned above. 3A0698471 (If purchased from VAG not sure about aftermarket). 

If you have upgraded to 288 brakes you need not worry about parts because of the wide density of use throughout the VAG range. 

Edited by Keyo

MK4 have the same set up with 288s as long as you use the MK3 disk. I've never seen a rusty / chrome peeling MK4 piston, I presume they are stainless?

25 minutes ago, stuarttaylor37 said:

I think the op was struggling to I. D. the correct piston, he mentions being OK for the gaskets

Best thing for him to do is google the calliper part number and look at images and markings on his existing callipers compared to a stock calliper.  

8 minutes ago, Dox said:

MK4 have the same set up with 288s as long as you use the MK3 disk. I've never seen a rusty / chrome peeling MK4 piston, I presume they are stainless?

Great upgrade for sure I'm on the stock set up grrrrr. 

Stock are also 54mm pistons, the improvement is from a larger pad area and larger diameter disk

Stuart seems to be right about the VW part numbers for the callipers and like He also says widely used so must be out there  now you have those part numbers for the callipers you should be able to get something locally, but you’ll probably have to phone someone up. 
Keyo those part numbers don’t seem to include the piston, number 15 seems to be a calliper guide.

It looks like VW never did the piston without the calliper, it’s all very confusing 

C93D69E6-0525-40D3-8A66-8AB7A8DACCE2.png

470C06F4-5E8A-43A1-B263-EF0D371F264B.png

11 minutes ago, Keyo said:

There are some ready to ge here. 

Not sure if its for both or just one side - also a part refund if you send your old ones back. 

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ate-7005804.html

I think these aren’t the same, his has 731 and 732 stamped on the housing, I think they are mk4 ones, is the piston different ?that’s the question. 

Seen some ni

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I think these aren’t the same, his has 731 and 732 stamped on the housing, I think they are mk4 ones, is the piston different ?that’s the question. 

Think that just indicates left or right it still has the 54 stamp on there mate. 

Have a good look through the pictures on  here mate . VW Passat 35i VR6. You can see the 731 stamp. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Passat-35i-Audi-Brake-Caliper-Front-Left-54-731-ATE/133132959856?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

If someone has the MK4 calliper if they give me the model and age of car they were from I can show a diagram. Above is a link to all the vehicles that the callipers in question were fitted on. 

Edited by Keyo

I cant see no piston on the diagram either so assume as mentioned it is part of the calliper.

I think I may have the answer on the callipers, but may be wrong  

i think the earlier ones which ABV has are for a 22mm disc as opposed to the mk4 ones which have a 25mm disc be t the same 288mm diameter. 

I would imagine if it’s a different callipers it’ll be a different piston, a phone call should clear it up. 

I have some nearly new abv passat b4 discs in my shed I could measure in a min

Pretty sure etka online states they are 25mm though?     Give me 10 mins

Alright I'm back! What a surprise reading all the posts this morning!  You guys are fantastic helps, really appreciate all of it, thanks!

Like it was mentioned, It's confusing and kind of hard to find just the piston itself. I do think 731 and 732 are just to show left and right like Keyo was saying. I think it was smart to do the research from the caliper part number, I'll keep that in mind for next time...

Dox was saying stock are 54 as well but on the thread I've read it's saying the piston is larger on the DE calipers?

Here's a copy of the information discussed in the thread I've read: Option 3 is the DE brake

Option 1: Pad, Rotor, Braided lines, new OE fluid
Pluses:

-Easiest, possibly most cost effective setup.
-You do not need to purchase new calipers.
-Unless you have concerns about cooking your brakes (extensive track work), plain rotors are plenty. -Slotted rotors are OK. Drilled rotors are touch-and-go. Ensure that the drilled rotor you are buying is drilled during the casting process, not after, which increases the likelihood of cracking. In most cases, plain rotors are plenty for a street car.
-Braided steel lines are a must to increase pedal feel and braking effectiveness. Rubber lines expand and contract with the increase in fluid pressure, meaning not all of your pedal work is transferred to the caliper.
-You'll be hard pressed to cook OE fluid in anything but the most extreme conditions. Use it and never have to worry about the chemical compounds within your fluid.
Minuses:
-There aren't any.

Option 2: Girling G60 brake calipers from an Audi 90
Pluses:
-A simple cost effective upgrade.
-The calipers are cheap from a pick-n-pull yard and sometimes you can even get them free. Add a couple shims, the appropriate pads and it is a bolt-on affair.
-Calipers are 2-piston items and as such have better clamping force than stock single-piston calipers.
Minuses:
-They are heavy. Heavier than stock.
-You get an increase in clamping force at the expense of increased weight.
-Some Wheels will not clear calipers (et dependent)

Detailed link to part numbers: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...liper-swap.htm

Option 3: 11.3”/Driver's Edition upgrade – found on all VR6-equipped VWs from 1996 to 1999.5
Pluses:
-The caliper features a larger piston and a larger pad.
-Rotors are not only larger in diameter (0.3”), but also 3mm thicker.
-Secure an entire spindle from a any VR6-equipped VW from the above years and you have everything you need to bolt it on.
-Larger and thicker rotor means increased thermal capacity.
-Larger piston means greater clamping force. Larger pad means greater swept area.
-Increased lever arm (distance from hub to caliper) means a theoretical increase braking feel and less work to accomplish same braking performance – less pedal pressure and less fluid transfer.
-This setup puts you only a caliper carrier/spacers and larger rotor away from Option 4 (below).
Minuses:
-The entire setup will weigh more than stock, increases your unsprung weight which detracts from handling. On the flip side, this is an OE upgrade, so all weight increases are within OE tolerances.
-Requires new front brake lines

Option 4: 12.3”/1st gen Audi TT/GTI 20th Anniversary/1.8T GLI/GTI 337 upgrade
Pluses:
-Same calipers & pads as Option 3 – simple, straight forward upgrade from 11.3”.
-Substantially larger 12.3” rotor. Same thickness as 11.3” upgrade, but now 1.3” larger in diameter.
-Increased lever arm (distance from hub to caliper) means a theoretical increase braking feel and less work to accomplish same braking performance – less pedal pressure and less fluid transfer.
-Larger rotor means increased thermal capacity, making this setup very competitive in virtually any track application with the right pads.
-To cut down on weight, ECS sells a 2-piece replica rotor with aluminum hats.
Minuses:
-16” wheels are required.
-Standard replacement rotors weigh a lot more than stock or 11.3” items.
-Requires 1st Gen Audi TT carriers & washers
-ECS 2-piece rotors are not cheap at $600/pair.

Option 5: Mk4 R32 brake upgrade.
Pluses:

-One of the best factory braking set-ups ever produced by VW, this side of multi-piston/ceramic.
-Large two-piston calipers mean increased clamping force & pad swept area
-13.1” rotors mean increased lever arm
-ECS Tuning sells 2-piece variations on rotors
Minuses:
-Very heavy, heavier than any other factory component upgrade
-Requires 17” wheels. Some will not clear depending on spoke design.
-Requires caliper carrier spacer
-Requires new brake lines

Option 6: Wilwood Dynalite 11” kit
Pluses:

-Light, aluminum 4-piston calipers.
-Uses factory 11” rotors. Substantial increase in clamping force from four pistons. With proper pads, higher resistance to fade versus any other 11” option.
Minuses:
-Wilwood supplied Q-pads require a lot of heat to get up to operating temperature.
-Calipers are substantially wider than stock – will clear 15” wheels radially, but may require 5mm spacer depending on spoke design.
-Caliper pistons do not have dust boots – caliper rebuild is required every 10k to 15k miles or seasonally.
-Wilwood BP20 pads are ideal for autocross and street driving, but will reduced rotor life to 10k miles.
-Wilwood is an American company, using SAE fittings – adapters are required to connect Wilwood braided lines to factory hardline, creating point of possible fatigue if not installed correctly. Some suppliers will NOT sell you carrier adaptors separately from calipers.

Option 6: Wilwood Dynalite 12.19”/13” kits
Pluses:

-Increased lever arm, increased thermal capacity, rotors are either two-piece or one-piece depending on supplier.
-Wilwood retailers/suppliers can get you thicker rotors and associated calipers, further increasing your thermal capacity.
Minuses:
-Same as Option 5.
-12.19” should fit most 16” wheels, 13” kit requires 17” wheels. Pay attention to spoke design as calipers are wider/thicker than stock, 5mm spacers may be needed.
-Rotors need to sourced from a Wilwood supplier/retailer. Sizing and thickness is proprietary to Wilwood. Rotor rings (for two-piece applications) are more expensive, as are one-piece rotors.

Option 7: ECS Tuning/Porsche Boxster Calipers
Pluses:

-Larger, 4-piston Porsche Boxster Brembo Calipers.
-Bolts on to 12.3” Audi TT rotors
-Larger pistons, larger pads means increased clamping force and swept area.
-Brembo calipers are metric – line connections are straight forward.
-Calipers say “Porsche” on them.
-Should work with most 16” wheels.
Minuses:
-Larger rotors means increased weight.
-Calipers weigh more than most factory upgrades.
-Pricey when new.
-Substantially larger caliper means greater portion of fluid is being used; factory 22mm master cylinder may not be able to handle increased fluid transfer.
-May require 17” wheels or larger spacers on 16” wheels.
-They say “Porsche” on them.

Option 8: Brembo Gran Turismo kit
Pluses:

-Made by one of the most respected manufacturers in the braking industry
-Proper fit is virtually guranteed
-Sold through TireRack, another well-respected company
-Multiple caliper color choices
-They say “Brembo” on them
Minuses:
-Pricey
-Possible brake master cylinder fatigue
-Requires 17” wheels
-Limited supply

Option 9: Custom Wilwood/StopTec kits
Pluses:

-Several suppliers available
-Custom built to fit your car
-Full catalog of Wilwood calipers and rotors
-Some suppliers will do the necessary math to ensure you are not taxing the brake master cylinder
Minuses:
-Pricey
-Can take months to build proper kit
-Not all suppliers execute your order to the same standard

Ok I just measured everything. The DE disc is 288mm diameter, 25mm wide and the piston itself is 54mm just like it's written on the calipers. Now looking at my Corrado front calipers, they're definitely smaller looking and there's no 54 written on them and I have an euro ABV Corrado as well. 

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I think I may have the answer on the callipers, but may be wrong  

i think the earlier ones which ABV has are for a 22mm disc as opposed to the mk4 ones which have a 25mm disc be t the same 288mm diameter. 

I would imagine if it’s a different callipers it’ll be a different piston, a phone call should clear it up. 

Yes that's what I read too, Corrado have 22mm and DE have 25mm. Plus it's slightly bigger as well by like a centimeter. Technically the piston is larger as well but I can't confirm that yet as they are still on the car. Cheers! 

Mk3 disks are 25mm thick

4cb04a74a12c75534f39406a0f325804.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I would do is choose a more common car on the list that matches the part number for the calliper and then search for that on ebay and see what comes up. 

40 minutes ago, Keyo said:

What I would do is choose a more common car on the list that matches the part number for the calliper and then search for that on ebay and see what comes up. 

Yes definitely a good idea! Thanks for helping me out again!