Design380

VR6 drive shaft removal

Hi,

What is the best way to remove the drive shaft from the wheel bearing housing on my 1995 VR6, It's been soaked in plusgas but no joy!

See pic below:

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks - Paul

IMG_4108.JPG

I ended up pressing mine out, the passenger side was stuck solid. You could try putting the nut back on to protect the thread and hammer a piece of wood against it?

Might be easier to take them to a local garage (if you can find one thats open!) and they'll likely have a say 2 ton press to press them out easily.  The bearing may separate during this process and will need changing

Mine took about 8 ton to break out initially, then pushed out with around 2 ton. Pushing back in was around 2 ton as well, and I made sure it was home by going up to 8 again.

It was a workshop when I was in Portsmouth on a course so I don't know the details unfortunately. It was a 20t press of a budget type, but it did the job well. 

1 hour ago, seanl82 said:

It was a workshop when I was in Portsmouth on a course so I don't know the details unfortunately. It was a 20t press of a budget type, but it did the job well. 

Thanks Sean, think I'll have to wait until things get back to being a bit more normal and get a garage to sort, was hoping to to do a bit on the Corrado while I have more time on my hands!