slim

Newbie to the forum

Evening guys,

I hope everyone is keeping safe in these uncertain times!

I've got a G60 parked on my drive, it's a long story as to how it got there but long story short, it's now mine! This car has kind of been in my life for the last 10years.

'91 black G60 108k miles and fairly standard apart from a stainless cat back exhaust, smaller pulley/chip and some shite wolfrace wheels. It has been parked up and not started for longer than I care to remember.

So with lockdown on and the fact I'm buying a house and need the car moving I've decided to get her back rolling again and back to her former glory.

The 'charger is off getting a service and stage 4'd (it was a new 'charger just before it was taken off the road) and I've ordered, I think, everything I need to get it back on the road.

Now I did start it up the day before taking the 'charger off and after checking oil and water.

It started eventually after a few whacks on the starter but to start it I had to push the back of the ignition plug in. I've known about this for years. As I want to put the car back together I want to get that bit sorted. Any ideas from anyone? I've heard aftermarket ones are crap, is this correct? Are genuine ones still available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm no newbie to cars but haven't done a great deal with Corrado's although I did have a mk2 Golf 16v years ago.

Cheers dudes!

Slim

Welcome to Corrado madness. 
There’s a plastic ignition switch that fits onto the bottom of the barrel and held on with a little screw. Pretty sure still available from the dealer. It may also be the barrel has gone sloppy, you have to drill a hole in the housing to get this out, with the new barrel infront of you it is obvious where.  Try changing the switch first much easier. 

Hi and welcome - yes, my guess would be the ignition switch. They are still easily available from the dealer or through Heritage/Classic Parts, as they are used on lots of VWs, including newer 6N Polos.

The barrel is unlikely to wear, it's much more likely the key, especially if it is a copy. If you still have the key code for your car you can get a new key made up from scratch to the original specifications.

Iginition switch is good to replace as a precaution, and the only hard part is getting that little bugger of a screw out that holds it in place. Remove the steering wheel, upper and lower steering cowlings and you'll see what's what. A new switch is not expensive, so a quick tests would be to get a replacement, pull off the wiring connector from the back of yours and put it on the new switch and try to operate it with a screwdriver or key blank to see if this fixes the problem, before you actually go to the bother of changing the old one.

welcome and always good to see another g60 - plenty of good advice on here 

i have had to learn about these cars as you go along all part of the fun -  but worth it 

Cheers guys!

I'm pretty sure it is the switch as the key doesn't feel sloppy in the ignition and when pushing the white connector in to the back of the ignition it starts no problem.

Just had a look on heritage parts (6N0-905-865) and it seems fairly cheap. Are these good quality or am I better off buying genuine?

Looking forward to getting her back on the road again. Fingers crossed there will be no hidden surprises along the way! I drove her years ago and loved the way it drove and the sound from the charger!

7 hours ago, slim said:

Cheers guys!

I'm pretty sure it is the switch as the key doesn't feel sloppy in the ignition and when pushing the white connector in to the back of the ignition it starts no problem.

Just had a look on heritage parts (6N0-905-865) and it seems fairly cheap. Are these good quality or am I better off buying genuine?

Looking forward to getting her back on the road again. Fingers crossed there will be no hidden surprises along the way! I drove her years ago and loved the way it drove and the sound from the charger!

100 percent better off buying genuine, its a job you don't want to do again for a long time .  One symptom of a failing ignition switch I have stumbled across in the past is the car will only start if you turn the key really fast and firm. Unfortunately the dealers are closed at the moment but I purchased one about 3 months ago and was about £38.00 - just tell dealer you can get cheaper elsewhere - you know what they can go down to now the stealers ha. I know Johnsons dealerships are closed but Im going to try some more today (Listers). 

If the car has been sitting for a long time could be the fuel and filter adding to the situation. 

Edited by Keyo

That part# is the genuine VW Polo one, so should be a stock part. You could always ask them before ordering.

Stay away from the cheaper ones as people have had them fail very quickly after fitting.