ABV-VR6

Clutch Kit Suggestion

I'm kind of curious to know what you guys have for clutch/flywheel installed on your VR6?
Starting to look at what's out there and there's lots surprisingly. I think I would like something OEM or stage 1. I'm not going turbo so there's no need for something extra.
My mind is pretty much set on the OEM Sachs for the flywheel but it's the clutch I'm not sure...
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

Sachs or Luk are both good reliable clutches. Stage 1 may be a bit 'jerky' at takeoff but it depends on your intentions with the car. Those suggested will last you a long time with normal driving so no real reason to break from the norm. Don't forget the release bearing, maybe reinforcement of the release arm and I'd suggest a replacement spring too.

Good advice there - the stock VR6 clutch is actually way over specified, and lasts a long time, so there is probably no need to go for a heavier one. With a turbo conversion, a limited slip diff would be more important. My clutch is still going strong with no noticeable degradation after 110k or so.

When I was pulling mine to pieces at 115,000 miles to do the cam chains I'd bought all the parts up front including a genuine clutch kit. The clutch I took out of the car didn't look any different from the one I was putting in, I could hardly measure a discernible difference in thickness between the two.

7 minutes ago, tonedef said:

When I was pulling mine to pieces at 115,000 miles to do the cam chains I'd bought all the parts up front including a genuine clutch kit. The clutch I took out of the car didn't look any different from the one I was putting in, I could hardly measure a discernible difference in thickness between the two.

That's what I mean - you'd want to be putting a lot of power through it and have a heavy left foot to wear them properly out in less than 150k miles. The release bearing and the release arm etc. are the weak points.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out with this much appreciated. I will follow the advices given to me and stick with OEM and buy all new parts as well. 

Flywheel will be the Sachs OEM. Just a quick note, being a single mass flywheel does it mean that I don't have to buy a ring gear for it? I'm doing a transmission swap so I have no visual references...

As for the clutch, of my two suppliers here, one sells a Valeo clutch and the other one sells a ZF but that's not OEM right? I should be buying something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/SACHS-3-Piece-Clutch-Kit-Inc-Bearing-VW-GOLF-PASSAT-CORRADO-2-8-2-9-VR6/223324943185?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D597cc02c891843138ac7832b498dee62%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D223324943185%26itm%3D223324943185%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DSachs&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A30f6d4c0-8a2f-11ea-9cd9-467e461e61c3|parentrq%3Ac695075f1710ad397ea2fdcaffff19e0|iid%3A1

ZF would have made a lot of the VAG steering racks for that era of car - but have never come across a clutch made by them, but would imagine they are fine.