Cressa

Which windscreen ???

6 hours ago, Keyo said:

I would want to wait a couple of weeks for the lacquer to harden  before window installation.  Por would be good stuff to paint as your meant not to be able to chip it .  

Unfortunately the car is at work and I have took the pi$$ leaving it there so that Nottingham Windscreens can do the fitting for me. 

I would have loved to prep it better and leave it for longer,  but that isnt an option. The good news is that the garage it is in is heated

IT'S FINISHED 

My part of this thread is finished

It's in, dry and all the trim fits. Love the windscreen more now with the green tint so definitely recommend the Saint-gobain glass. Bummer that you cant seem to buy just the straight top seal, oh well. 

And if you are anywhere near Nottingham,  I totally recommend NOTTINGHAM WINDSCREENS as they've done a great job, did a dry run and put up with me being a pain20201110_173717.jpg

20201109_161645.jpg

20201109_161651.jpg

20201109_161638.jpg

20201110_173728.jpg

20201110_173746.jpg

Hello all. My car is stored in Whitstable Kent and as I was getting it ready to be moved, I noticed the tell tale crack in the corner. Definitely means a new windscreen. And yes, it was a replacement fitted 12 years ago and it leaks. As I understand it, the recommendations are:

1. Pull out the broken one, fix the metal edges, paint and make good.

2. Find the clips, edging, from somewhere. Where?

3. Find a SEKURIT windscreen with a fitter who isn't an idiot. Have him fit it.

Would ya'll be so kind as to conifrm the bits I need, where to get them? Do I start with Robin at Stealth?

The old girl is SORN'd at the moment, and the last steps before moving will involve replacing the windscreen, the battery, getting her started, MOT'd,  then trailered to our new home - wherever that may be.....  

Sekurit come in thee options - factory green tint- green tint with a darker green banner-  and a blue top banner- if you ask for encapsulated that means it comes with the three trims around windscreen 

Can still buy the windscreen rubber border seal from Heritage OE. 

The spacers you can still get from vag . 

You should take it to a body shop as they can take care of any orange peril underneath - go and inspect after removal of glass and  again pre fitted when any area have been treated.  

31 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Sekurit come in thee options - factory green tint- green tint with a darker green banner-  and a blue top banner- if you ask for encapsulated that means it comes with the three trims around windscreen 

Can still buy the windscreen rubber border seal from Heritage OE. 

The spacers you can still get from vag . 

You should take it to a body shop as they can take care of any orange peril underneath - go and inspect after removal of glass and  again pre fitted when any area have been treated.  

Thank you very much. Do I also need to purchase the clips? May I ask where and how you sourced your windscreen?

5 minutes ago, Bruno said:

Thank you very much. Do I also need to purchase the clips? May I ask where and how you sourced your windscreen?

Any good glass windscreen retailer will sell it- autoglass etc - its ready available just make sure you get what you asked for ie sekurit and the option of shade you want. When you say clips do you mean the ones that house the bottom three windshield deflector trims. 

Edited by Keyo

I presume these are the items that sit behind the scuttle cover. Not quite sure, the searches for windscreen replacements on this forum keep mentioning clips. Hence my confusion and asking for clarity.  

If I get this right, she's due for a respray anyway this year, I could ask the bodyshop to have the windscreen changed at that time and ask them to treat the screen edges when they open her up. 

13 minutes ago, Bruno said:

I presume these are the items that sit behind the scuttle cover. Not quite sure, the searches for windscreen replacements on this forum keep mentioning clips. Hence my confusion and asking for clarity.  

If I get this right, she's due for a respray anyway this year, I could ask the bodyshop to have the windscreen changed at that time and ask them to treat the screen edges when they open her up. 

They will mean these. 

x10 clips and sleeve grommets. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-10-x-535853837-Hulse-10-x-535853832A-Clip/164743380774?hash=item265b787f26:g:~YYAAOSw22RgQs~s

Cheaper here but maybe as not good quality

https://www.gryp-3d.com/fr/volkswagen-corrado/310-clips-de-baie-de-pare-brise.html

10 clips and grommets needed into the scuttle area for the lower 3 trim pieces. Not available at classics either,  but other people have remade these, including Sprinter on here. Get some matt black paint and treat those 3 trin pieces to a freshen up, I did and happy with the result.

As previously mentioned in this thread, sekurit is the saint gobain glass and a perfect fit. DO get the rubber wedges and make sure they use them. It sets the perfect height of the glass at the bottom and prevents it from dropping whilst setting. 

One of the seals is not available at VW so I had to buy a complete aftermarket fitting kit just for that. I will check which one. The kit was £60 off the fitter for all the bits and a perfect fit so cheap enough. I have a genuine vw and an aftermarket kit spare, but both needing this one seal!!

All previous advice to me on here was 100% and I would recommend the above. Good luck in finding a decent fitter though. 

As Keyo has mentioned, sort the dreaded damage first and let it dry b4 fitting 👍

@Keyo - do you know what the product code is for the version with the blue stripe, encapsulated? Am getting the run around from two national players - Autoglass being one of them!

I've found one potential code - 8538AGN. Does this tally?

Edited by Bruno
Added one potential code

On 5/27/2020 at 4:35 PM, Keyo said:

Here you go Cressa . 

Its oe glass and  Rob from Stealth  says it cost about £160 plus VAT  Glass dealer here in Birmingham has a good batch of them and got it fitted a couple of months back.

OEM mate saint gobain sekurit-  the glass is a blue green /tint at the top about 6 inches or so. Here are the pictures he sent to me on your behalf chap.  Wish I had it it gets bloomin hot and sun in the eyes in summer. 

glass.jpg

glass1.jpg

Bruno this is my friends car that has the blue stripe and markings at the bottom. 

The factory only did a complete clear glass and complete green tinted- even though Serkurit were OE manufactures the banner is a more modern version. You can still get a complete green tint though 

If you go to the first page of this thread you will see I left a link - my mate went to the Birmingham branch to get his. 

Edited by Keyo

39 minutes ago, Bruno said:

@Keyo - do you know what the product code is for the version with the blue stripe, encapsulated? Am getting the run around from two national players - Autoglass being one of them! 

http://www.master-auto-glass.com/

Bliue banner encapsulated numbers below. 

win.jpg

Edited by Keyo

His just told me his not sure if its green or blue his getting on a bit. 

Thats enough information for me. Time to find someone in these companies who will supply and install in two visits....  

useful info on the encapsulated windscreen.  Need to get mine done at some point

I was told you can’t get the blue banner at the top only green banner or without. 

17 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I was told you can’t get the blue banner at the top only green banner or without. 

i believe pilkingtons have screens with blue banners as i had to decide between that or green & went with green

31 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I asked but was told NLA. I still want one if someone get hold of one. 

where did you ask shaun?

Two firms, one from Nottingham and the guy who’s firm put mine in local to me, they both said you can’t get blue anymore but I could have the green tinted banner. But thought that would look pap on a blue car. 

22 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Two firms, one from Nottingham and the guy who’s firm put mine in local to me, they both said you can’t get blue anymore but I could have the green tinted banner. But thought that would look pap on a blue car. 

give pilkington themselves a call m8

13 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

give pilkington themselves a call m8

Maybe that’s it then I wanted it to be an OEM. Have you got a link or phone number please.