will 2

handbrake cables

hi all , need to replace my handbrake cables, and would like to know what you all would recommend as there seems to be loads of different makes and prices out there.

so if you could give me some makes that would be great, 

my car is a 94  2.0 16v

thanks

15 hours ago, ger040 said:

just make sure you order the correct length

think the length i need is 1613mm

I’ve been looking at this too and there seems to be a difference as both ends too. My original has a thin cylindrical bit on the calliper end but it seems some have a ball type end. The threaded bit that attaches to the hand brake looks like it comes in two variants too. I was just thinking of ringing the the dealer up with my reg and getting the part number then going from there. 

15 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I’ve been looking at this too and there seems to be a difference as both ends too. My original has a thin cylindrical bit on the calliper end but it seems some have a ball type end. The threaded bit that attaches to the hand brake looks like it comes in two variants too. I was just thinking of ringing the the dealer up with my reg and getting the part number then going from there. 

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/731vg0290

i just ordered these hope they the right ones 

12 minutes ago, will 2 said:

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/731vg0290

i just ordered these hope they the right ones 

To be honest the only thing there that looks like what I’ve been researching and seen on my car is the bit that attaches to the calliper, so that’s good that looks like it fits. It looks like it a particular manufacturers take on the whole cable shenanigans.  
you’ll have to put up how you get on

15 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

To be honest the only thing there that looks like what I’ve been researching and seen on my car is the bit that attaches to the calliper, so that’s good that looks like it fits. It looks like it a particular manufacturers take on the whole cable shenanigans.  
you’ll have to put up how you get on

my cables are nearly off the car so when these turn up i will see how they match up to the OE ones

Can you get the rubber boots at the caliper end separately? One of mine has split but the cable itself is fine. Would silicone grease help keep it dry?

1 hour ago, fla said:

Can you get the rubber boots at the caliper end separately? One of mine has split but the cable itself is fine. Would silicone grease help keep it dry?

Hello Fla,

I've had a quick look on Classic Parts they don't list that boot separately for handbrake cable, only the caliper slider pin boot they list.

I might have one or two spare if your interested, but will have to check my spares first though. 

Grease or WD40 used in small amounts will definitely help if your boot is split open.

Si 

On 6/8/2020 at 6:12 PM, will 2 said:

my cables are nearly off the car so when these turn up i will see how they match up to the OE ones

I'm sure there's another thread on this regarding the handbrake cable lengths. From memory I think what I've listed below is correct ?

Handbrake cable (up to VIN/Chassis 50-S-000361)
Part number 1H0 609 721A
1988 to 1991/92
1605mm cable length

Handbrake cable (after VIN/Chassis 50-S-000362)
Part number 1H0 609 721E
1991/92 to 1995 
1613mm cable length

Hope this helps

Si 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vw rule said:

I'm sure there's another thread on this regarding the handbrake cable lengths. From memory I think what I've listed below is correct ?

Handbrake cable (up to VIN/Chassis 50-S-000361)
Part number 1H0 609 721A
1988 to 1991/92
1605mm cable length

Handbrake cable (after VIN/Chassis 50-S-000362)
Part number 1H0 609 721E
1991/92 to 1995 
1613mm cable length

Hope this helps

Si 

Hi Si  the ones i bought are the 1613mm ones , not got under the car to check exactly but they look ok, so far