Sign in to follow this  
SteveM16v

Pressure switch

I've gone through the rainbow with oil pressure switch's. VW couldn't get it right! I've now got a purple one as I've tried Black, White, Grey and brown. When I turned the ignition on with anyone of these switches in the oil light flashes.

The purple one didn't but now after having it in place for about 500 miles, its started to go mad and beep/flash all the time!

I know there is meant to be a high and low switch and I'm not sure which one the purple is but, the (now) purple one is the one over the oil filter (back one) but I can't find the other one. Its meant to be on the side of the head (apparently) but there is no question.. ITS NOT THERE. You can see where it should be but trust me when I say its not there, in fact I have scoured the engine and have been unable to find any other switch that is anything like the purple one. Where else could it be? My 1.8 16v is now 14 years old so must have been one of the early 16 valve's so did they put it some where else?

What is the other switch directly above the oil filter? Its smaller than the pressure switch so I'm assuming that its a temperature switch??

there should be 2 oil pressure senders on the filter head on a 1.8 16V and one temp sender one (yup, the smaller one) on the side of the head...

I'm guessing that most of your problems are caused by the fact you've got the sensors in the wrong places and therefore connected to the wrong wires... :|

Hi steve,

See the pic attached, on my 16V the front switch is white, and the rear is Brown, also note the colour of the wiring to them.

I also attached a new connector to make sure it's getting a good connection.

I had a similar problem!

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

Just driven to work (60 miles) with the buzzer going all the way. I've checked the wiring and its not the switch's above the oil filter.

Can anybody tell me where I might find the other bloody pressure switch - there is a price for the correct answer :?:

As the guys have said above, one of the low pressure senders *should* be on top of the filter housing, it has a yellow sender wire which if disconnected triggers the alarm/ led.

As henny says, it looks like your sensors are wired to the wrong position! But worth checking the 3 sensors located around the water cykinder head water outlet.

I'd get the wiring diagram out and start checking wiring thickness and colour too.

I've got exacty the same problem on mine, decided to start doing it yesterday. Funny thing is, it only does it after like 2 minutes of driving. Then soon as I hit the motorway and boot it, it stops. I'm thinking it might be nice to replace ALL related sensors. From what I've read theres the one on the side of the head, and the one on the oil cooler. Any more?

Thanks

randal

I've got exacty the same problem on mine, decided to start doing it yesterday. Funny thing is, it only does it after like 2 minutes of driving. Then soon as I hit the motorway and boot it, it stops. I'm thinking it might be nice to replace ALL related sensors. From what I've read theres the one on the side of the head, and the one on the oil cooler. Any more?

Thanks

randal

As far as I'm aware I have replaced all oil sensors on mine & it still does it every now & then. A quick rev or dip of the clutch & it's gone?? It does do it A LOT less now I have done the one on the side of the head though.

Damn. Damn damn damn. Oh well, just guess the stereo will have to be louder in future. WIill get around to doing the one on the head at some point then. Cheers Dan.

randal

isnt the one on the side of the head for the water temp???its been a while since i looked at a 16v engine

mine is in-line with the charger oil feed,

g60's are different to 16v's,the water temp sensor is next to the dizzy

LOL! my disi's by the water temp sensor, just not at the side of the head

Steve,

It may be worth your while visiting Halfords, They do an oil pressure gauge for around £29. At least you'll know if there is a problem with oil delivery, or dodgy wiring.

My problems with the buzzer were due to low oil pressure!!!

At least its not a lot of outlay for some peace of mind!!!

My oil pressure problems were caused by the gauze on the oil pump pick up pipe being blocked.

Steve,

It may be worth your while visiting Halfords, They do an oil pressure gauge for around £29. At least you'll know if there is a problem with oil delivery, or dodgy wiring.

My problems with the buzzer were due to low oil pressure!!!

At least its not a lot of outlay for some peace of mind!!!

My oil pressure problems were caused by the gauze on the oil pump pick up pipe being blocked.

I take it that was sump off & clean then :(

Hi Dan,

I'd already bought another oil pump, so I just fitted the new one.

The blockage was my own fault though..I wasn't carefull enough in taping up the cylinder block when scraping the carbon off the piston heads! :(

Some of the carbon got into the sump.

The oil pressure readings on the new pump weren't too different from the old one, just that the pressure shot up once over 2000 revs. On the old blocked pump it was a bit sluggish.

I've got a porous sump anyway so I might as well do the whole job and change the oil pump at the same time. Is that a difficult job?

I've got a porous sump anyway so I might as well do the whole job and change the oil pump at the same time. Is that a difficult job?

not something I'd be looking forward to doing

Hi Guys,

Its a relatively easy job, better to try and clean the underside before starting as it is quite messy.

Once the car is up on axle stands you canget into it better.

1. Drain the oil, and replace the sump plug. Remove the lower flywheel cover (2 bolts)

2. remove the 10mm bolts around the sump around 20 of them IIRC.

3 Remove the oil pump - 2 bolts and thats really it!

4 Clean out the sump (if not renewing).

fit new pump and gasket, and then the sump.

The only really tricky part is trying to get the bolts on the flywheel side started, as they are offset, its not easy getting them onto the correct thread.

5. Torque up the sump bolts (cant remember the figure) and refill with oil, better with another filter as well.

6, I usually remove the High Tension coil lead and crank the engine for a few minutes to get the oil around the engine and filter. Refit the HT lead and start it up!