Keyo

Massive fail.

Sorry this is for my mk2 golf but you guys have had a fair few things trimmed in the past. 

VW Heritage replica OE vinyl headlining material combined with a new fibre glass back board - pictures below to illustrate the products. Very disappointed took the car to a trimmer as I know its a tricky job to glue the material on to the back board so sourced out a  professional trimmer in Walsall. Looked brilliant once fitted but only after 8 weeks the glue has failed or the VW material has shrunk beyond the tolerance of glue (we had some hot days this summer). Picture below to show where it has failed on the rear corners. I saw the trimmer using a heat gun and not sure what glue he used - any advice if anyone else has used the same combination of a fibre glass board and Heritage material and had the same issues before I raise my complaint with the trimmer. Has anyone had this set up for a few years and no failure and if so what glue did they use so I can ask the trimmer to use it. Thanks bit disappointed right now as had to strip a crap load of the car to get the headliner out and spent a fair bit of money - went to a lot of effort to keep the stock look. 😐

Thank You. 

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

head3.jpg

head4.jpg

Edited by Keyo

13 hours ago, Dox said:

Thanks Dox,

Ive posted it on a Mk2 thread and other have used the same combination of materials and trimfix and also failed- fair few posting me too epic fail- I think its a combination of heritage supplying a material that has a lot of movement in heat - fibreglass probably holding a lot of heat in the car on a hot day- trimmers using their normal glue and not a specific one for vinyl. Im going to call that Joe the Window fitter chap as he also fits softops and they use a lot of glue in that game- the trimmer I used in Walsall has been on Salvage Hunters classic cars - got to admit when he started doing to job I stepped in and said have you get a wet rag you need to clean the fibreglass board first as there is manufacturing powder residue on it - managed to get a wet rag of him but I would of used some sort of alcoholic cleaner on it myself- also have seen trimmers use a base coat of the glue first and let it dry for a few hours as it acts of key but this trimmer just went straight on with a heat gun and no idea what glue he used  . Bit disappointed to say the least as its a horrific job to get the board out and I imagine the vinyl on there now will be wrecked if removed which cost £160 something. 

Have come across this product from googling vinyl headlining glue . Seems a very knowledgeable specific site and commercial grade products. 

https://www.thegluepeople.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7&products_id=115

Edited by Keyo

Inspected in between the liner and headboard today as hot weather - glue is all gooie and runny  - 100 percent glue fail  due to heat - I’m sure the trimmer will make out it’s my fault somehow 😕

very common on all mk2 golfs and jettas i had the same issue - i tried a so called heat / high temp adhesive cant remember the name lasted only a couple of months and was worse than when i first attempted to repair, i think most people now use a substitute material - suede., alcantara etc and if reusing the original backing but it is essential that all traces of the previous adhesive are removed.

to me is sounds that the trimmer has used the wrong adhesive to be honest - no doubt it will be your fault as you needed to tell him what adhesive to use!!

by the way is the replacement fibreglass base a good fit seen them advertised on ebay as we are all aware the original crumbles as you remove it.

48 minutes ago, ger040 said:

very common on all mk2 golfs and jettas i had the same issue - i tried a so called heat / high temp adhesive cant remember the name lasted only a couple of months and was worse than when i first attempted to repair, i think most people now use a substitute material - suede., alcantara etc and if reusing the original backing but it is essential that all traces of the previous adhesive are removed.

to me is sounds that the trimmer has used the wrong adhesive to be honest - no doubt it will be your fault as you needed to tell him what adhesive to use!!

by the way is the replacement fibreglass base a good fit seen them advertised on ebay as we are all aware the original crumbles as you remove it.

Sure Geri the fiberglass is a perfect fit and purchased it for the exact reason the old one just crumbled- was purchased from ebay . I did not foresee any issues because had new fibreglass and vinyl just didn't account for an incompetent trimmer. There was another option that came ready trimmed in a black cloth off ebay but spent more money trying to achieve the OE look- however at this moment  would probably of gone for the ready made black cloth - although you will have to retrim your sunvisors to match and cabin light console . I trimmed my sunroof with the Heritage material and it looked OE mint last week until the sun played a prank on the car. 

My fibre glass backing 3dr 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reproduction-MK2-VW-Golf-Headliner-with-Sunroof-for-3-door-cars-UNCOVERED/143405770656?hash=item2163a667a0:g:6BMAAOSw1QpdnHDO

Off the shelf Black fabric with GRP backing. Comes in several colour options and they can supply the material for other trimmed objects or you might be able to post and they will trim them for you - the sunroof should have a stitch in the middle so the spare gets tucked up for tension. 155.00  + postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK2-VW-Golf-Replacment-Headliner-3-door-with-Sunroof/174095114506?hash=item2888e0a10a:g:eOIAAOSwDDpdzDJ5

Could fit this one without the paying for a trimmer as well - huge savings compared to trimmer 150 - heritage material 170 - 120 fibreglass board - see why I'm a bit gutted now chap .

Edited by Keyo

I've done this long time ago on my GTI 16V. All I did and it was a total success was after I took it out, I ripped the last of the fabric. I went to a fabric store and bought something that was a tad stretchy (nothing crazy like swim suit fabric) it look like some kind of black alcantara light fabric. I glued it using 3M super 77 spray glue. Then cut off the over fabric, reinstall and it was perfect. Have you tried that glue, it's the best! Hopefully it helps, cheers 

Thanks mate but looking at the product description on 3m 77 its not uv sunlight resistant and only medium tack which is the reason my first one failed as the trimmer used glue not upto the job of high temperature- it doesn't help they I've got a fibreglass backing and vinyl which is OE- it really does not let the heat out unlike a fabric material - going to try martim brush on high temp glue 120 degress hopefully it will hold and it is a commercial product. 

Got the £14.40 120 degrees brush on from Martrim 

https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/glues-and-adhesives.php

3m 77 

Spray Can Dimensions
Product Depth (in.) 3
Product Height (in.) 9
Product Width (in.) 3 in

Spray Adhesive Details
Adhesion level: Medium
Adhesive Product Type: Glue/Epoxy
Curing time (hours): 1
Dries clear: Yes
Drillable: Yes
Features: Dries Clear, Drillable, Moisture Resistant, Sandable, Solvent Resistant
Flammable: Yes
Glue/epoxy type: Spray adhesive
Indoor/Outdoor: Indoor/Outdoor
Moisture Resistant: Yes
Product Weight (oz.): 16.75
Returnable: 90-Day 
Sandable Yes Set Time (Min.): 60 
Solvent resistant: Yes 
Stainable/Paintable: No 
UV/sunlight resistant: No

Edited by Keyo

On my car it held the 4 years I had it but it was on that original fragile foam board the car came with. And also it was white with the grey velvet interior, not black on black... Mate, I would be very happy to help you out if there's something that you want and I can get it here in Canada, I'll manage to send it to you at no extra cost. Let me know! 

31 minutes ago, James. said:

I’ve had success with this:

http://www.livedale.co.uk/39-adhesives-cleaners-protectors-care-kits/1048-.html

Granted it was on fabric, but 6 years on from re-covering the 8v liner, it’s still going strong.

Thanks if the high temp glue doesn't work then unfortunately will have to put it down to a massive fail of the material Heritage are supplying and get some fabric material- I know of at three other Mk2 owners that have had the same failure with the vinyl they supply-  others are mostly in the garage and really to test how good the glue is the car needs to see some 30 degree weather all day in the sun.  Im starting to think the material has too much shrink in it - wouldn't surprise me to be honest we are talking the Meyle and topran No 1 suppliers. 

On 8/12/2020 at 4:23 PM, ABV-VR6 said:

On my car it held the 4 years I had it but it was on that original fragile foam board the car came with. And also it was white with the grey velvet interior, not black on black... Mate, I would be very happy to help you out if there's something that you want and I can get it here in Canada, I'll manage to send it to you at no extra cost. Let me know! 

Thanks for the offer ABV . 

I have used that glue that dox posted the link to in my van, I found to much in one spot can cause ripples or not enough, it’s hard to get even and I think works best with thicker materials.

what I would suggest is bowing the panel slightly then apply the material when the tension comes off The panel will stretch the material slightly and reduce any wrinkles. 

Have you tried speaking with Mk1 Capri owners (or similar) to see what they’ve stuck their leather hats (roof skins) on with ?

47 minutes ago, James. said:

Have you tried speaking with Mk1 Capri owners (or similar) to see what they’ve stuck their leather hats (roof skins) on with ?

No chap have not spoke out of the vag circle- the trimmer has done it Friday I stripped out the the headliner do he didnt crack every interior part  so fingers crossed it is a success= looks awesome now but hard to take photos of it because of the darkness in the car- time will tell and another 30 degree devil of a day ha ! I was mocking him a bit and asked him if he made the old glue himself through lock down from a squirrel road kill and didn't see the funny side. 

Fortunately, that’s about the only downside of a black head lining. They look great in person, but hard to show them off as a picture.

Is it worth mocking up some kind of rig to have it sat in the sun/heat prior to installation, potentially saving yourself from having to remove it for a third time ?

Edited by James.

3 minutes ago, James. said:

Fortunately, that’s about the only downside of a black head lining. They look great in person, but hard to show them off as a picture.

Is it worth mocking up some kind of rig to have it sat in the sun/heat prior to installation, potentially saving yourself from having to remove it for a third time ?

To be honest its fitted now - Ive got rather handy at it and can fit one in 20 minutes now- you get good at something if you keep practicing ha ! You want to feel how hot its in that car with black paint and headliner in 30 degrees = quicker I get this garage built the better- I suppose in hotter climates they have this issue all the time.