ABV-VR6

What do you use to troubleshoot/repair your Corrado?

So I'm facing a few issues, mostly electrical. The "bible" here in Canada is the Corrado Bentley shop manual. But being US issued, it does not cover the 1995 Corrados nor the ABV engine. The Bentley is for AAA engine and up till 1994 and the G60 1990/92 only. So I'm wondering what do you mates use to repair your Corrados? Any electrical diagrams for ABV 1995? Any UK "bible" to troubleshoot the Corrado? There's got to be something else available than what I have with all the different versions that were offered in Europe...

Thanks in advance for your help, cheers!

There is no Haynes for the ABV engine or Corrado unfortunately. There is a Peter Russek engine manual for the VR6 which I have ordered recently but haven't received yet - it's supposed to be very handy for engine rebuilds etc.

Some people use a combination of the Passat and Golf 3 Haynes, which cover a lot of stuff common to Corrados, but to be honest, the differences between the US AAA and ABV aren't that much. 

VW had an extensive Microfiche repair manual set and also a set of booklets, but these are very hard to find and most scans tend to be in German.

PM me your email address and I might be able to help out some.

Edited by fendervg

The Bentley is the best we can hope for too. Some are lucky enough to have dealer manuals but they're few and far between. The Bentley is pretty good TBF, and the wiring diagrams are accurate so shouldn't present any problems for you. There were slight differences in early and late looms and 93 was the last for early, so you should be ok using the 94 diagrams. 

Edited by seanl82

Yeah, the Bentley really is the best we can expect - it's way more detailed than a Haynes in any case, just a slight pinch of salt needed some times due to it being US specific.

Thanks to both of you for your time, much appreciated.

I was looking at that Peter Russek manual as well. Please let me know once you get it if you think it's worth it.
Ok, so if someone gets a 16V Corrado per example, they would use a MK2 Bentley then?
I know there is not a ton of difference between AAA and ABV and mostly the ABV is simplified compared to the AAA due to less regulations at the time of making. Like my car didn't have the EGR or that big recirc thing in the front of the engine per example.

Here's what's giving me a headache, all of it is electrical related... And also probably due to lack of experience, this is my first Corrado.
-My car being a 1995, it has 2 airbags and I can't find that in the Bentley. (Want to delete)
-When I look at my fuse box, it's not exactly like the 94+ in the Bentley so I don't know for sure what does what. (Fuses it's ok, it's the relays that I would like to know 100% and not guess)
-Looking at my ignition wiring loom, compared to a 94, I have an extra grey wire, Bentley does not have any grey wire in the diagram.
-I would like to have the proper wiring loom diagram for e-codes my car came with. I know they are not wired the same way as the NA ones.

These are a few things for now that I'm encountering a problem with...
Any of you has a clue for me? Cheers!

I think the two airbags were only ever offered on very late Canadian cars, and a driver's side one was an optional extra on the run-out European models. I'd say a wiring diagram for those would be hard to find and come as an additional supplement to the main diagrams - same as for the electric Recaros.

Edited by fendervg

Yes, I do think there was about 200 of those 1995 Corrado imported to North America and they were all sent to Canada. Mine was built for Germany and sent to Japan (Japanese spec car with LHD configuration and ABV engine). I guess looking into a MK3 Bentley, the wiring diagram should be in there? 

I’ve got the bentleys manual, and a few bits in the Lindsay porter manual

5e9079f69e59778b5786f087698fee17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So Corrado and MK3 Bentleys and that Lindsay porter one, I've never heard of before. Any good? 

It's a shame because there used to be a really good Corrado Club of Canada web site with a busy forum and lots of tech how-tos and articles - your questions would have been answered there for sure - but it's long gone now.

The Peter Russek VR Engine book arrived today - it's actually more an A5 pocket manual, 88 pages, cheaply printed, but with good illustrations. Gives a good description of the VR design and layout and looks like it would be most useful for an engine out rebuild - the other sections on ignition. cooling and fuel injection are pretty sparse and the Bentley is better for that I'd say - cost was £12 direct from the web site plus postage, so not that cheap but because it's so useful worth it to the enthusiast/home mechanic. I've never been able to find a PDF version of it and they don't sell electronic copies.

Edited by fendervg

Oh it is a shame! I remember reading Dennis articles back in the days like 15 years ago when I was dreaming about owning a Corrado. Back then, I could not afford one. Everything was there, that was the bible with pictures. I was and still are so disappointed that it is gone... I do have a saved pdf of the "how to" dash removal for the heater core, that was gold to have when I did it... 

2 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Oh it is a shame! I remember reading Dennis articles back in the days like 15 years ago when I was dreaming about owning a Corrado. Back then, I could not afford one. Everything was there, that was the bible with pictures. I was and still are so disappointed that it is gone... I do have a saved pdf of the "how to" dash removal for the heater core, that was gold to have when I did it... 

Yep, the tech guides were great - that was the one I used to do my heater matrix as well!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fendervg said:

It's a shame because there used to be a really good Corrado Club of Canada web site with a busy forum and lots of tech how-tos and articles - your questions would have been answered there for sure - but it's long gone now.

The Peter Russek VR Engine book arrived today - it's actually more an A5 pocket manual, cheaply printed, but with good illustrations. Gives a good description of the VR design and layout and looks like it would be most useful for an engine out rebuild - the other sections on ignition. cooling and fuel injection are pretty sparse and the Bentley is better for that I'd say - cost was £12 direct from the web site plus postage, so not that cheap but because it's so useful worth it to the enthusiast/home mechanic. I've never been able to find a PDF version of it and they don't sell electronic copies.

Also I forgot thank you for the info on the Peter russek book. I think I may pass has its pretty expensive for me to get and probably not worth its weight. Thanks again! 

9 hours ago, Tigerfish said:

I’ve got the bentleys manual, and a few bits in the Lindsay porter manual

5e9079f69e59778b5786f087698fee17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I ended finding it relatively cheap used on amazon so I ordered it! Thanks!

if any members have a matrix to do & would like a hand ive got a pretty complete guide with pics on a word doc i can email out.

ive done 3 now myself & the guide really does make it easy 

it is also much easier to take the dash out & much less risk of braking brittle stuff

Ok so today I'm trying to figure out one of my issue which is knowing for sure what's what in my fuse box. I compared what I have with the Bentley 94+. Anyone who has a clue to help me out, please pitch in! Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers! 

1)A/C relay, I'm surprise there's nothing there because the car has A/C? 

2)rear window wiper (72) this is correct. 

3)ECM power relay, Bentley says should be #32 or 30 but I have 109?

4)load reduction, Bentley says #18 but I have 100?

5)engine coolant level (43) surprised to see nothing there? 

6)emergency flasher (21) this is correct

7)headlight washer (33) ok, I don't have that 

8)washer & wiper front (#19 or 99) that's correct

9)seat belt warning for Canada (4)ok, I don't have that 

10)fog light relay (53) that's correct. 

11)dual horn (53) that's correct. 

12)fuel pump (67) I have 167 that should be right? 

14)im not sure but in the Bentley the only #150 is for park/neutral. This is one thing that I'm wondering about? First, am I right? But second is the #150 universal for auto and manual? 

15) is a #53 and I have no idea what it is. In the Bentley non of the relay from 13 to 24 have a #53. Only thing I could speculate is my airbags? Not even sure they have a relay tbh. 

16) the fuse #20 at this position I speculate that it must be the back up light fuse for the auto transmission?

IMG_20200826_151123511.jpg

IMG_20200826_154626073.jpg

5 hours ago, fendervg said:

The ECU relay 109 and fuel pump 67/167 are correct - sometimes the numbers changed over the years.

Thank you for confirming these mate! 

5 hours ago, fla said:

14 is starter interlock relay for an auto (relay 150)

Thanks Fla! Do you know when a car is manual what number relay it would be? Or there's just no relay at all for a manual? Thank you! 

1 hour ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks Fla! Do you know when a car is manual what number relay it would be? Or there's just no relay at all for a manual? Thank you! 

Good question! Not sure, i'll go and check mine later today and let you know, but like you say  i dont think there's one there. Iirc when swopped my to manual i took it out

36 minutes ago, fla said:

Good question! Not sure, i'll go and check mine later today and let you know, but like you say  i dont think there's one there. Iirc when swopped my to manual i took it out

Thanks mate, really appreciate this! I know you've done the conversion as well. That's what I'm trying to figure out if I can just remove it or need to swap for another relay? Cheers! 

Ive got an old set of notes from Dennis on the now sadly defunct Canadian corrado club. I remember i had a real issue with the soldering of the relevant wires as they're so thick!

Anyway, hope it helps.  Just drop me a line if you need any more input.

Hasan

Wiring Modifications.doc

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, fla said:

Ive got an old set of notes from Dennis on the now sadly defunct Canadian corrado club. I remember i had a real issue with the soldering of the relevant wires as they're so thick!

Anyway, hope it helps.  Just drop me a line if you need any more input.

Hasan

Wiring Modifications.docUnavailable

Thank you so much Hasan, that's super nice of you! I can't download what you posted on my phone but as soon as I get home I will be looking at it! Very thankful! Cheers JF