culshaw

Timing chain kit for vr6

Where do everyone get their replacements from? I have a lovely rattle that I think may be chains.

VW (tps) are closed for retail and even still they only have half the parts available. The other half are NLA.

Which parts aren't available now? I think there is an upgrade using a mk4 tensioner etc

Maybe take a look at the ARZ Tuning site - they sell (or at least used to) a couple of different timing chain kits for the VR6 - this might be easier than trying to source all the components separately.

I found getting all the parts in one place a pain, so I bought this:

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/021109503d-timing-chain-kit-for-vr6-engines.html

There’s an additional duplex upper chain needed.

It’s got the upgraded MK4 tensioner. And also the later tensioner bolt. 

I’m all for OE only when it comes to engine internals. But it’s Febi, and I’m alright with that.

Edited by James.

Where did you buy your kit from in the end? I'm needing to change the clutch on mine in a couple of weeks. Car has about 145k on it, with no evidence of chain or tensioners having been done, so thinking I might do them at the same time.