Crispo

Newbie (well sort of)

Hi everyone

I've just bought my old G60 back with the hope of getting it back on the road.

I sold it in 2007 and it was driven by the new owner until 2010 and then it has been off the road since.

Before even trying to start it have noticed some pretty bad corrosion of the crossmember under the rad.  A quick search suggests this isn't uncommon and that the part I think I need (535199171G ?) is no longer available.  Can anyone confirm if this is the part I need and suggest any ideas on where to source one?

I didn't expect this to be an easy or cheap project but wasn't quite ready for such a depressing start!

cheers

Crispo

D5357D03-AC51-4E6B-902C-76155E01CB70.jpeg

4B4FA7BE-C0CB-499B-9840-B6F4CDF28D18.jpeg

361E962F-2447-4456-B31D-EA0BFAB021F2.jpeg

Welcome along, sadly the radiator support is a very common thing to rust away, best to put up a wanted ad, there are a couple of corrado breakers out there. Chris Ferry aka Lilfuzzer.

Facebook has a lot of activity and is probably a better place to locate parts. You can contact Chris through there, not sure he’s on here much these days 

I’d suggest you strip the front end off to be sure the front crossmember is ok as you’ll need to be in there anyway and check what else you might need. Check the wings, sills- especially at point it joins rear arch, fuel cap area as all are common rust spots 😁👍

I think these rad supports are getting thin on the ground - the sooner an aftermarket one becomes available the better- the Mk2 golf you can but all the subframes and supports aftermarket - lets hope the Corrado follows one day and they rust to heel on the rad support- leaky coolant might not help them. 

Speaking for the later ones

If you’ve ever had different model ones and compared them they are all pretty much the same, the VR6 one just has a little bracket welded on. I just got a later one and welded my old ones extra bracket on. 

93AF23A1-FE20-4D6B-B09D-F8A02DFC5DD4.thumb.jpeg.8ad58a691a38a361e9053cffc5a4b4ce.jpeg
Moving on to the earlier models 

I’m betting if you get any early one you will be able to make it work for the G60 as they are pressed with a variety of holes not just 2 specific to your model 

• Thanks 1

I will add though, hello and welcome &

The front slam panel, bit with the headlights in, Is unique to model though because of radiator size and fan/fans. It does have only two holes for radiator brackets to suit the model 

14 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I will add though, hello and welcome &

The front slam panel, bit with the headlights in, Is unique to model though because of radiator size and fan/fans. It does have only two holes for radiator brackets to suit the model 

So Sean would that be the red one I have in my shed ? 😉

We need this skilled corrado owner to make some of the galvanised rad supports also offered in alloy. 

http://testforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=883

From his profile his name is Rob from Durham and owned a red G60 and was making these in 2016 - his car reg was J375CAO - I wonder if his still about !

rad1.jpg

Edited by Keyo

25 minutes ago, Keyo said:

So Sean would that be the red one I have in my shed ? 😉

We need this skilled corrado owner to make some of the galvanised rad supports also offered in alloy. 

http://testforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=883

From his profile his name is Rob from Durham and owned a red G60 and was making these in 2016 - his car reg was J375CAO - I wonder if his still about !

rad1.jpg

So Kato why are you calling me Sean 😂😂

19 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

So Kato why are you calling me Sean 😂😂

Sorry Shaun 😂

Thanks Shaun

Does anyone know how much these go for when they are up for sale?

I've had no luck finding one in the UK yet but have seen one in the US but it's not cheap!

Just to resurrect this thread. Does anyone know if a 1.8 16v support would work for a VR6?

Curios what the extra bracket on the VR6 version is for

34 minutes ago, Bast said:

Just to resurrect this thread. Does anyone know if a 1.8 16v support would work for a VR6?

Curios what the extra bracket on the VR6 version is for

ive got a feeling the rad sits differently in the VR6 compared to the 16v so that could be the reason

i know the VR rad is at an odd angle 

will go look under the bonnet of the 16v in a tick as im in that one today

8 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

ive got a feeling the rad sits differently in the VR6 compared to the 16v so that could be the reason

i know the VR rad is at an odd angle 

will go look under the bonnet of the 16v in a tick as im in that one today

that'd be much appreciated 🙂

6 minutes ago, Bast said:

that'd be much appreciated 🙂

had a look & no the 16v rad sits at an angle as well

what is the extra bracket bit you mention?

17 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

had a look & no the 16v rad sits at an angle as well

what is the extra bracket bit you mention?

Fantastic, thanks for looking mate.

So it's something Shaun mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm not sure of it's purpose 🙂

On 9/28/2020 at 4:47 PM, 1xshaunx1 said:

Speaking for the later ones

If you’ve ever had different model ones and compared them they are all pretty much the same, the VR6 one just has a little bracket welded on. I just got a later one and welded my old ones extra bracket on. 

93AF23A1-FE20-4D6B-B09D-F8A02DFC5DD4.thumb.jpeg.8ad58a691a38a361e9053cffc5a4b4ce.jpeg
Moving on to the earlier models 

I’m betting if you get any early one you will be able to make it work for the G60 as they are pressed with a variety of holes not just 2 specific to your model 

1 hour ago, Bast said:

Fantastic, thanks for looking mate.

So it's something Shaun mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm not sure of it's purpose 🙂

i can check the late VR6 tomorrow for the bracket in the picture IF i can actually see it with all the bumper fitted etc

if i can access it i will take some pics for you & post them

The bracket in the picture above is to support the VR6 radiator at an angle to the slam panel. 
As you can also see in the photo the basic rad support comes with loads of holes for different rads with the exception of the VR6 which needs the extra bracket welding on which I did to the one in the photo. 
Hope this helps

18 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

i can check the late VR6 tomorrow for the bracket in the picture IF i can actually see it with all the bumper fitted etc

if i can access it i will take some pics for you & post them

That's really kind of you bud, I think Shaun has answered it though. Thanks for your efforts anyway

16 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

The bracket in the picture above is to support the VR6 radiator at an angle to the slam panel. 
As you can also see in the photo the basic rad support comes with loads of holes for different rads with the exception of the VR6 which needs the extra bracket welding on which I did to the one in the photo. 
Hope this helps

Ah amazing, thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated 🙂

This would be great item to remanufacture - again, if we can get some CAD images i can get a mock-up and hence pricing done, for say 10, 20 and 50 off.