ABV-VR6

VSR

I know, I know it's Impossible to find... Looking everywhere right now and I thought I would just post here in case! 

Cheers! 

I managed to find one earlier this year, it was advertised as possibly the final one cast, it has never been fitted and is missing a few bits of required hardware. Nothing too difficult except the flap. I’ve bought a few different ones now but none are correct. I do have a Schrick fitted so I might remove it at some point to see if the flap is the same, I know it’s similar. 
No matter, like everything it’s a long term project 🤣

FB8EC812-305A-4268-8F0C-1505F1BE9C0A.jpeg

Show off!

They come up about once or twice a year at most - some change hands off-net by word of mouth. Also worth keeping an eye on VW Vortex and VR6OC as quite a few of these are running on Mk3 VR6s.

Since everything should now be measured by the market value of RHD late VDO gauges, expect to pay 2-3 VDOs for one! I thought we needed a new unit of measurement. 😉

7 hours ago, easypops said:

I managed to find one earlier this year, it was advertised as possibly the final one cast, it has never been fitted and is missing a few bits of required hardware. Nothing too difficult except the flap. I’ve bought a few different ones now but none are correct. I do have a Schrick fitted so I might remove it at some point to see if the flap is the same, I know it’s similar. 
No matter, like everything it’s a long term project 🤣

FB8EC812-305A-4268-8F0C-1505F1BE9C0A.jpeg

Nice find! It is hard to find, the last one I can find that was for sale date from 2019...
I don't know if this is true or not but there's a VW guru guy here that told me the flap inside the VSR can be welded open if you run 268 cams. Maybe you don't have to have that flap?

55 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Show off!

They come up about once or twice a year at most - some change hands off-net by word of mouth. Also worth keeping an eye on VW Vortex and VR6OC as quite a few of these are running on Mk3 VR6s.

Since everything should now be measured by the market value of RHD late VDO gauges, expect to pay 2-3 VDOs for one! I thought we needed a new unit of measurement. 😉

Thank you! I figured the chances are very slim to get one off our forum but like you said some change hands by word of mouth and I figured if I post my interest maybe one day someone will think about me! Thank you for the suggestions, I'll keep looking on the other forums as well.

So? RHD VDO gauges are rare then? I know the LHD ones are sought after but not that hard to find. I know the console as a different orientation depending if LHD or RHD but isn't possible to modify the panel or make your own out of carbon fiber or else and integrate the LHD ones? If one has the proper panel for the gauges, a 3D print wouldn't cost much and you use the LHD gauges in it. Just an idea!

just an in joke - if you search the eBay ended items you'll see one that went recently for $800 or so (VDO gauges, not VSR of course) - there is a project to 3D print the frame, and as the actual insides are the same, to mount the LHD ones in a RHD dash. I think most, if not all SLCs were fitted with them, so the left sided version is probably more plentiful.

The rarity of some parts will definitely run the price up, the VSR complete these days will be about £3k and possibly/probably more. 
I paid close on £2k for this incomplete one.

As for the gauges, I was offered close to £700 for the set in my red VR6, which I turned down.

I do have a brand new set as well, who knows the value of them? I don’t think about it but it would take a comedy offer to make me even consider it................

I must ADMIT my car hobby has become a bad addiction im actually 35k into my my VR6 with purchase- rare parts and full renovation. 

Im not very confident in the VW classic world values compared to BMW and Porsche- even that of Ford - Renault and the Pugs.  Bit of a travesty really as the VR would hammer most of  these cars and are a great looker. 

Im not sure what a fully restored car would fetch with possibly the only VW in the world to have my options including VSR- speedlines VWMS - VWMS gear box- all the other bits like recaro and - audioscapes and gauge pods and more. 

Would I even get near 25K ? been a one off and fully restored- they have a limited market the Corrado - you get in that deep there is no way out lol .

If i ever sold my car I would hate to have to take the parts I collected as feel like I put together a unique car but only attractive to Corrado folks that know their stuff. 

In regards to a VSR they are a solid 3k now if you want one in Europe .  2 scrapers nos sold for bloomin £600.00 its sickening some of the prices . 

Right now my MK2 and corrado sometimes I just think keep 997 and sell the classics and get a few year old S5 - trust me I would be better off and have more time to fish and do other hobbies ha. 

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, fendervg said:

just an in joke - if you search the eBay ended items you'll see one that went recently for $800 or so (VDO gauges, not VSR of course) - there is a project to 3D print the frame, and as the actual insides are the same, to mount the LHD ones in a RHD dash. I think most, if not all SLCs were fitted with them, so the left sided version is probably more plentiful.

Yes I think the SLC in the USA all came with them, same for here in Canada.
I see there's a plan so that's good...
If I can be any help to source the LHD VDO, let me know cheers

2 hours ago, easypops said:

The rarity of some parts will definitely run the price up, the VSR complete these days will be about £3k and possibly/probably more. 
I paid close on £2k for this incomplete one.

As for the gauges, I was offered close to £700 for the set in my red VR6, which I turned down.

I do have a brand new set as well, who knows the value of them? I don’t think about it but it would take a comedy offer to make me even consider it................

Price went up, the last one for sale was from the UK in August 2018 and the asking price was £1800 complete!

1 minute ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Price went up, the last one for sale was from the UK in August 2018 and the asking price was £1800 complete!

I know mate, I actually paid a deposit on one about 18months ago, from Spain only for the seller to do the dirty on me, then sold it elsewhere for more I guess. The price then was €1695 . I paid £1800 for the one I now have and I know of one that recently went for just over £2500. Sellers market really, you could ask anything and someone would get close I’d think.

I paid £1200 for my Schrick a few years ago and I’d think that that has probably increased in price as well? 

Just now, easypops said:

I know mate, I actually paid a deposit on one about 18months ago, from Spain only for the seller to do the dirty on me, then sold it elsewhere for more I guess. The price then was €1695 . I paid £1800 for the one I now have and I know of one that recently went for just over £2500. Sellers market really, you could ask anything and someone would get close I’d think.

I paid £1200 for my Schrick a few years ago and I’d think that that has probably increased in price as well? 

I sold a Schrick for £1500.00 2 months back to a friend but on an open market would not be surprised if in great condition and complete kit nearer towards 2k. 

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

I must ADMIT my car hobby has become a bad addiction im actually 35k into my my VR6 with purchase- rare parts and full renovation. 

Im not very confident in the VW classic world values compared to BMW and Porsche- even that of Ford - Renault and the Pugs.  Bit of a travesty really as the VR would hammer most of  these cars and are a great looker. 

Im not sure what a fully restored car would fetch with possibly the only VW in the world to have my options including VSR- speedlines VWMS - VWMS gear box- all the other bits like recaro and - audioscapes and gauge pods and more. 

Would I even get near 25K ? been a one off and fully restored- they have a limited market the Corrado - you get in that deep there is no way out lol .

If i ever sold my car I would hate to have to take the parts I collected as feel like I put together a unique car but only attractive to Corrado folks that know their stuff. 

In regards to a VSR they are a solid 3k now if you want one in Europe .  2 scrapers nos sold for bloomin £600.00 its sickening some of the prices . 

Right now my MK2 and corrado sometimes I just think keep 997 and sell the classics and get a few year old S5 - trust me I would be better off and have more time to fish and do other hobbies ha. 

I think in your case mate, the price would be priceless for your car...
I think the demographic and the mileage makes for the cost same with original parts...
I agree with you, not sure VW cars will hold up as much as BMW or Porsche...
Pricing on Corrado is nuts now compared to 3-5 years ago and that's kind of sad. I always though a Corrado was a poor man's Porsche, not so true anymore...
It is a pricey hobby for sure and I should go fish more often too! But in my case, I've been dreaming of owning one for 19 years and now that I have one I want to take my time and make it the way I want. I'm planning on passing it along to my son when I die kind of thing so I won't be selling it ever.

5 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I think in your case mate, the price would be priceless for your car...
I think the demographic and the mileage makes for the cost same with original parts...
I agree with you, not sure VW cars will hold up as much as BMW or Porsche...
Pricing on Corrado is nuts now compared to 3-5 years ago and that's kind of sad. I always though a Corrado was a poor man's Porsche, not so true anymore...
It is a pricey hobby for sure and I should go fish more often too! But in my case, I've been dreaming of owning one for 19 years and now that I have one I want to take my time and make it the way I want. I'm planning on passing it along to my son when I die kind of thing so I won't be selling it ever.

Seeing a lot of corrado on facebook in the USA and Canada I would certainly say yours is one of the best - Canada has some nice cars and options but the USA they all seem trashed the Corrado I see.  I see it on the 997 facebook group too - the Americans do some horrid bad mods to the cars and wreck them  - obviously not everyone .   

I coulnt imagine selling Black Magic as I think their could be some horrid comments seems a thing in the VW world.  From all my cars own and owned  the Corrado has the best group of people - I really do need to do some road trips now and enjoy her- would be good to have a FORUM MEET !!!!!!! 

Edited by Keyo

8 minutes ago, easypops said:

The fact that we leave in a world wide market changes things too... $3000 for me is a lot as Canadian but that amount in the UK is not so much...  Never mind £3000, It's over $5000 CAD and the average people make $2000 a month after taxes. No wonder people are buying houses here, If you come from Europe or certain countries in Asia, buying a mansion here is the cost of an apartment there... I can't compete with Europe or USA, money is worth so much compared to ours. It's good if you are a seller I suppose.

2 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

The fact that we leave in a world wide market changes things too... $3000 for me is a lot as Canadian but that amount in the UK is not so much...  Never mind £3000, It's over $5000 CAD and the average people make $2000 a month after taxes. No wonder people are buying houses here, If you come from Europe or certain countries in Asia, buying a mansion here is the cost of an apartment there... I can't compete with Europe or USA, money is worth so much compared to ours. It's good if you are a seller I suppose.

I know Vince at Stealth told me Canada has been a place that some of his clients sourced VSR - I asked the best place to find one and he mentioned Canada - they are out there- as mentioned above look out for MK3 golf VR in the classifieds and study the engine bays - you never Know your luck.

Edited by Keyo

2 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Aye, gone are the days of bargains, although I’ve had my fair share. You can’t find anything decent on eBay without finding it’s been shared all over Facebook and you are competing with a lot of other people . No secrets on the interweb 

3 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Seeing a lot of corrado on facebook in the USA and Canada I would certainly say yours is one of the best - Canada has some nice cars and options but the USA they all seem trashed the Corrado I see.  I see it on the 997 facebook group too - the Americans do some horrid bad mods to the cars and wreck them  - obviously not everyone .   

I coulnt imagine selling Black Magic as I think their could be some horrid comments seems a thing in the VW world.  From all my cars own and owned  the Corrado has the best group of people - I really do need to do some road trips now and enjoy her- would be good to have a FORUM MEET !!!!!!! 

Amen to that, totally agree. And thank you for your comments about mine much appreciated. I do agree with you the community of real enthusiasts is very nice and kind. And yes, the Americans not to generalize but bad mods are plentiful....
I don't think you can sell yours, at this point it's a legacy, a icon even.

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

I know Vince at Stealth told me Canada has been a place that some of his clients sourced VSR - I asked the best place to find one and he mentioned Canada - they are out there- as mentioned above look out for MK3 golf VR in the classifieds and study the engine bays - you never Know your luck.

Ya, I'll keep looking locally as it is probably my best bet at this point... Thanks mate!
Just need to be patient which I am. I'm starting the search now as I would need it in a year or so when the car is ready...

2 minutes ago, easypops said:

Aye, gone are the days of bargains, although I’ve had my fair share. You can’t find anything decent on eBay without finding it’s been shared all over Facebook and you are competing with a lot of other people . No secrets on the interweb 

Oh absolutely... Remember 20 years ago on eBay it was people selling their home made stuff or old stuff. Now it is a sophisticate business...

5 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Amen to that, totally agree. And thank you for your comments about mine much appreciated. I do agree with you the community of real enthusiasts is very nice and kind. And yes, the Americans not to generalize but bad mods are plentiful....
I don't think you can sell yours, at this point it's a legacy, a icon even.

Thanks mate. 

I love her but when you realise the MK2 + Rado VR6 all in renovation cost and purchase- well its 996 GT3 money and they will be worth 100 k in ten years and you can always get the parts - free motoring and raw performance.  Its my  fault really car ocd ha. 

Edited by Keyo

4 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Thanks mate. 

I love her but when you realise the MK2 + Rado VR6 all in renovation cost and purchase- well its 996 GT3 money and they will be worth 100 k in ten years and you can always get the parts - free motoring and raw performance.  Its my  fault really car ocd ha. 

Oh I'm totally with you and I understand. That said, I'm more of a 964 or 993 ha haa
But even if you're right in your thinking and you are. The rarity of those 2 you have and never mind the condition of them on top of that makes them unique and so rare. Something you wouldn't get with the other one. There's also a kind of proud feeling owning those as we know how much work and searches goes into them. I guess it's a passion and it's not always straightforward and lucrative but like love it's one of the best thing to have, passion. I know these days in hard times, I'm glad I have a passion to forget sometime what we are living in and I'm thankful to the friends I met down the line who I talk to about the same passion, makes you feel alive.

4 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Oh I'm totally with you and I understand. That said, I'm more of a 964 or 993 ha haa
But even if you're right in your thinking and you are. The rarity of those 2 you have and never mind the condition of them on top of that makes them unique and so rare. Something you wouldn't get with the other one. There's also a kind of proud feeling owning those as we know how much work and searches goes into them. I guess it's a passion and it's not always straightforward and lucrative but like love it's one of the best thing to have, passion. I know these days in hard times, I'm glad I have a passion to forget sometime what we are living in and I'm thankful to the friends I met down the line who I talk to about the same passion, makes you feel alive.

Sure mate the  ownership is full of highs and lows and certainly a cult car.