Lelige

VR6 Idle Air Control Valve replacement?

Im having a hard time finding an exact replacement IACV for my 2.8 VR6. 

Would a similar 2-pin IACV for a golf or something work?

I did search the site before posting. If there are existing threads on this topic, please point me in the direction. 

You must have an OBD1 2.8 AAA engine? Because all the later 2.8 VR6s I've seen are all OBD2 and don't have an ISV. I think once all the fittings for the vacuum pipes match up, a 2.9 ABV ISV should work fine.

Correct. 1992 AAA. Theres quite a few options with the same fittings and electrical connector but none seem to have the exact same part number.

I was in a similar position looking for one for an ABV engine (guessing the same part number) but all I could find from new was this one:

08SKV205 ESEN SKV Idle Control Valve, air supply Electric — Buy now! (autodoc.co.uk)

By a brand called SKV. As far as I could ascertain they are Polish (Note the box in the picture says Germany, take from that what you will) and a fairly new company - but god knows on quality, you take your chance I suppose. For the time being I am going to stick with the OE one even if it is a bit iffy.

Edited by oneohtwo

whats happened to yours?  Have you tested it with a 12v direct supply?  If it is not opening properly it might benefit from a clean and lube.  Easily done with some carb cleaner shaken around for a while and then lightly lubricated with oil or a silicon spray.  Pulse it again a few times afterwards to see the flap opens and closes cleanly.

Bosch or VDO/Siemens would be the ones I'd be looking for. You can actually pulse and exercise the ISV using the VCDS diagnostics software while it's still on the car.

When I took the car to Stealth they found it was stuck closed, which is why it wasn't idling properly without the open vacuum hose. They unstuck it, cleaned it with some carb cleaner and lubed it up, but said to keep doing it if it was still playing up. Was just seeing what new ones were available as an option. Had a few stalls since getting it back so will need to keep cleaning it.

It was stuck partway open. I did try to clean and lube it, but that only seemed to work once for a couple weeks and did not work again. 

I ended up purchasing and installing a 2.9 IACV as fendervg suggested. It immediately fixed the problem, but the car tends to idle high now(around 1200 rpm). Periodically it will drop down to normal idle, but only after its warmed up, and only sometimes.

I've adjusted the throttle cable damper which seems to have dropped the rpms a little, but now my fan motor stopped working again, so I cant test the idle stuff extensively until thats sorted.