_Matt_

Facebook etc outage - long live the forums

30 mins out right now - how people must be loosing their minds.

At least we have the forum to continue our car content 😄

Nothing like a giant BGP cock-up to take your service completely down - from looking at what info is out there, it looks as if all the routes pointing to the Zuckerberg data centers were withdrawn at the same time, also taking out their name servers as these were co-located at the same sites. Nice.

Yeah I didn't really understand the problem - was it just a case of someone plugging their charger in to the server port 😄

Looks more like someone applied a faulty configuration to their backbone routers that direct all traffic to, from and between the FB data centres. Can easily happen,  have done it myself in the past on a much smaller scale! But I would have thought that they would have had some kind of out of band management access over dial-up or 4G for emergencies  like this - that's what we put in afterwards. Apparently they had to actually send a team to the data centre to get access and fix it (read reboot).

ha - I bet they will be having a disaster recovery review after this event. Just goes to show you can never be too big to learn.