Skag

Corrardo VR6 Fuel Pump

Please help me, I'm ready to give up on her

Trying to get a Fuel pump for my 1993 Corrado Vr6 

Waited 5 months from Vw Heritage Parts and its a different part!

Looking to get just the silver pump element to fit in the original VW housing as the level sensor works well with no issues

Appreciate Vr6 needs to be a 4 bar pump, does anyone know what I'm talking about and can you help?

On Image "pump" it shows what I keep getting sent, the other images are the original pump.

Thanks

Bottom.jpg

Pump.jpg

Side.jpg

Top..jpg

Is your old pump a Pierburg? These are no longer available, asn the standard route is to fit the VDO 4-bar unit and you will also need to order a fuel gauge sender to go along with it as these are a different fit to the swirl pot. It will be pretty hard to match the pump body only as you are trying to do - is there a part number on it?

My car is 1993 VR with dizzy (same as yours I think) and originally had a Pierburg pump, then replaced with a VDO unit like the later cars - the metal pump motor insert is hard to come by on its own and probably involves a bit of trial and error - but a 4-5 bar unit of the correct size and fittings should work no problem, the fuel pressure regulator will drop the pressure a bit. Bosch do a whole range of these pumps, like the 040/044 and Walbro as well. Usually it's just eaier to buy the whole assembly including swirl pot and sender float if you need it.

If you do a search here, there are already a number of good threads discussing the options.

e.g.

Edited by fendervg

3 hours ago, fendervg said:

Is your old pump a Pierburg? These are no longer available, asn the standard route is to fit the VDO 4-bar unit and you will also need to order a fuel gauge sender to go along with it as these are a different fit to the swirl pot. It will be pretty hard to match the pump body only as you are trying to do - is there a part number on it?

My car is 1993 VR with dizzy (same as yours I think) and originally had a Pierburg pump, then replaced with a VDO unit like the later cars - the metal pump motor insert is hard to come by on its own and probably involves a bit of trial and error - but a 4-5 bar unit of the correct size and fittings should work no problem, the fuel pressure regulator will drop the pressure a bit. Bosch do a whole range of these pumps, like the 040/044 and Walbro as well. Usually it's just eaier to buy the whole assembly including swirl pot and sender float if you need it.

If you do a search here, there are already a number of good threads discussing the options.

e.g.

No part number on pump 😞

There seem to be PIERBURG 7.02550.58.0 and VAG1H0906091 part numbers for the pump body only, but don't quote me on it or the bar being 3 or 4.

I'd say your best bet is to source a complete VDO swirl pot assembly and pump and the correct VDO fuel gauge sender and float, and be done with it. The Pierburg was only ever fitted to very early VR6s, and the discontinued.

Even online part databases only list VDO, but I know I used to have an older copy of ETKA that died with my Windows XP system, that also listed the Pierburg.

vr6-fuel-pump.JPG

Im not sure but I think the vdo pump has gone obsolete  now unless they have just done a re run ,  but there is a JP one knocking about - not great but better then a lick in the teeth- it comes with the swirl pot. 

So buy this if the vdo is unobtainable 

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/1h0919651q-fuel-pump-with-housing-for-g60-and-vr6.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_4-SBhCgARIsAAlegrX6C-xUPXiMNcrfM44l2efF06KLTuOT1zpqW4iaDqrYF7onMXmL16caAn4MEALw_wcB

also buy this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165288791077?epid=249158734&hash=item267bfacc25:g:dmAAAOSwNSxVW4D6

You will have a compatible set up. 

Edited by Keyo

You can still buy the complete unit, part of or just pump alone from various companies, the Bosch 0 986 580 823 is still available

31fbebc3dda0169db8aa0bca1a4b9178c18ec5b5

Edited by Crasher

3 hours ago, Crasher said:

You can still buy the complete unit, part of or just pump alone from various companies, the Bosch 0 986 580 823 is still available

31fbebc3dda0169db8aa0bca1a4b9178c18ec5b5

This will work - but its actually advertised as 4 bar at euro but i did some research and saw it was 3 bar on other adverts- spoke to Bosch and confirmed yes is 3 bar. 

The 2.9 ABV engine was always specced at 4 bar - the 3 bar pumps were fitted to the 2.8 AAA etc. VR engines in the Golf/Passat and US SLC Corrado. You could probably get away with it if you match it to the correct fuel pressure regulator, but would be the wrong one for the car - I guess higher pressure means more fuel delivered by the injectors for the same pulse timing, so you might see a small performance drop - the higher pressure pump might be to allow for the extra displacement.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has done it on here and what their experiences were....

I believe the JP one is 4 bar but not a great brand - again worth contacting there HQ to confirm it is indeed a 4 bar.  Hopefully the vdo will make another batch - might be due to covid last couple of years . 

Okay, gents appreciate your help but can you tell me what I need to order for example:

1. Fuel Sender 

2. VDO (guessing this is the housing that screws in to the bottom of the tank)

3. Fuel Pump 

Guessing I just bin the original or add to the pile spare or broken bits!

Thank you

The VDO pump will come with the swirl pot - just the sender required. Don't think a VDO pump body will fit into the Pierburg swirl pot.

I'll see if I can dig out the part numbers of both for you to stick into Google.

Fuel Pump VDO E22-041-060Z

Fuel level sender VDO 221-833-002-011Z

Pump I got from Mr Auto, and the sender off fleabay. Hope this helps.

Both are currently listed on autodoc.de, although the fuel pump is not cheap  - usually about €200

Unit price GBP 61.89

https://www.autodoc.de/search?keyword=+E22-041-060Z&supplier[1]=83

https://www.autodoc.de/vdo/1736285?search=VDO Sensor, Kraftstoffvorrat (221-833-002-011Z)#

According to vwvortex posts, the Quinton Hazell is a direct rebrand of the VDO item and equivalent quality, and looks to be cheaper, but not sure if that unit is 4 bar.

Edited by fendervg

Really appreciate your help!

I'm guessing the top part I re use?  (the part that seals to the top of the tank with both pipes on and electrical connector)

Yep, keep that (tank pump cover lid)  and the hoses, and these connect to the new swirl pot,  The wires should have spade connectors on them that will clip on to the pump terminals - I think when I did my swap I extended the wires for the fuel level sender slightly and crimped on some new spader connectors.

Some trivia: there is actually a special VW tool for loosening and tightening the pump lid lockring

On 4/8/2022 at 12:51 PM, fendervg said:

Bloody fuel pump not in stock 😞

Both are currently listed on autodoc.de, although the fuel pump is not cheap  - usually about €200

Unit price GBP 61.89

https://www.autodoc.de/vdo/1736285?search=VDO Sensor, Kraftstoffvorrat (221-833-002-011Z)#

According to vwvortex posts, the Quinton Hazell is a direct rebrand of the VDO item and equivalent quality, and looks to be cheaper, but not sure if that unit is 4 bar.

Quinton Hazell lol no chance will that be the same quality as a VDO unit. 

Edited by Keyo

Quinton Hazell lol no chance will that be the same quality as a VDO unit. 

I would have thought the same thing, but funnily enough there is a thread on the vortex discussing them and the guys reckoned they were rebadged VDO and same quality. I haven’t tried one to find out though, but that’s why I mentioned it.

Both ordered from Ebay, thank you very much for your help. Strangely it says the level sender isn't compatible for the VR6 but I'm guessing you know best 🙂

Unit price GBP 61.89

Hopefully they are ok - the sender part# is definitely correct for the VDO pump as that is what I have on my car, Keyo as well as far as I know.

Lets us know how you get on when they arrive. It's a real pain that the search for nearly every part for a Corrado has turned into a lengthy and often disapointing magical mystery tour and treasure hunt!

There used to be a thread on here for listing OEM equivalent part numbers for commonly sought parts - might be worth resurecting

I concur it is compatible and yes it says it does not fit but it does. Its a lot cheaper then the same vdo sender vw sell form germany with the vag stamp which is over £100.00 for the exact same part and manufacturer.  

Edited by Keyo

Three years ago or maybe longer I fitted a Johns fuel pump, swapping the VDO fuel sender and fuel tank lid. It is a perfect fit and works exactly how it should. Sorry I no longer have the details of where it was purchased or the part number.

For £40 delivered at the time I would highly recommend the Johns pump which comes with a 2 year warranty.