Cressa

Not Corrado but a strange black Diesel issue

My daily Passat Estate broke down this morning, just as I was about to join the Motorway whilst travelling down the entry slip road.

Ball ache, turned over but would  not fire. Nice RAC man turned up, no fault codes and suggested it could be the egr valve!!! Anyway it would start when sprayed in the inlet, but not run. So got towed.

I decided to check the fuel pump and this is where it all got worse. Removed easily and whilst on the bench I poured the remaining fuel from the swirl pot into a container,  IT WAS BLACK.  All of the pump body had a black residue covering the white pump. I then emptied the complete tank and it is a black liquid.Now how the hell does that happen?? 

The car is no youngster 07 so does this happen over time or am I likely to have bought some bad fuel.....

New pump, new fuel, primed and all is good. I must change the fuel filter, but what the heck causes something like this?

14 minutes ago, Cressa said:

My daily Passat Estate broke down this morning, just as I was about to join the Motorway whilst travelling down the entry slip road.

Ball ache, turned over but would  not fire. Nice RAC man turned up, no fault codes and suggested it could be the egr valve!!! Anyway it would start when sprayed in the inlet, but not run. So got towed.

I decided to check the fuel pump and this is where it all got worse. Removed easily and whilst on the bench I poured the remaining fuel from the swirl pot into a container,  IT WAS BLACK.  All of the pump body had a black residue covering the white pump. I then emptied the complete tank and it is a black liquid.Now how the hell does that happen?? 

The car is no youngster 07 so does this happen over time or am I likely to have bought some bad fuel.....

New pump, new fuel, primed and all is good. I must change the fuel filter, but what the heck causes something like this?

Its possible bad fuel- we are using new sources for refinery  countries like China as Russia is blocked. 

Cheers Dox. It is a strange one as I do a lot of miles and fill up every week

Standard 2 litre PD TDI engine (BKP in this case?) common failure, the tandem pump on the end of the head is allowing engine oil into the fuel system

On 8/24/2022 at 11:18 AM, Crasher said:

Standard 2 litre PD TDI engine (BKP in this case?) common failure, the tandem pump on the end of the head is allowing engine oil into the fuel system

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I can just replace some seals

19 hours ago, Crasher said:

Nope, new tandem pump

😫😭 oh well. That will probably double the cars value .

🤣🤣👍