fla

R32 converted corrado emissions

For those that have r32 converted corrados, what do you do about emissions and how is the car registered for road tax? Also, Is it ULEZ compliant?

Thanks

2 cats and 4 lambdas on R32s, most would have had the post cats mapped out and straight piped.

your best bet it to chat with your MOT tester as it’s his discretion/ interpretation of the rules etc

Pre 1992 doesn’t need a cat, some late registered cars don’t either (NOS ).

If your question is around ULEZ, what does a standard R32 class as?

I've just checked a 04 r32 mk1 tt and its ulez compliant. I'll have to check the various r32 engines though to see they're all compliant. Some have around £600 road tax though, i think

90% of mk1 3.2 TTs were DSG 

05 onwards are the higher taxation class (lots of guzzlers have this issue, not just VAG).

Complicated engine that loves to throw cam / crank correlation codes (chain stretch or not sometimes) with age. 17748 / 17755 - google them, they’re nearly 20 years old now, so a long way from the new engine in an old car it once was.

13 minutes ago, Dox said:

90% of mk1 3.2 TTs were DSG 

05 onwards are the higher taxation class (lots of guzzlers have this issue, not just VAG).

Complicated engine that loves to throw cam / crank correlation codes (chain stretch or not sometimes) with age. 17748 / 17755 - google them, they’re nearly 20 years old now, so a long way from the new engine in an old car it once was.

I spoke to Vince at Stealth about the R32 conversion and that was his take as well, few years back you could get a relatively young engine that didn't need any work doing, but now with the age of them and how much parts cost, he said it isn't as worthwhile a conversion any more.

I've noticed a lot of people are using the Porsche engine though out of the Cayenne which I believe is the same engine as the R32, just further developed by Porsche. 

2 hours ago, petemcr said:

I spoke to Vince at Stealth about the R32 conversion and that was his take as well, few years back you could get a relatively young engine that didn't need any work doing, but now with the age of them and how much parts cost, he said it isn't as worthwhile a conversion any more.

I've noticed a lot of people are using the Porsche engine though out of the Cayenne which I believe is the same engine as the R32, just further developed by Porsche. 

I seem to remember the Porsche version has an inlet manifold to filter box the opposite way to other VAGs and is a bit more corrado friendly (battery stays under the bonnet?).

32 minutes ago, Dox said:

I seem to remember the Porsche version has an inlet manifold to filter box the opposite way to other VAGs and is a bit more corrado friendly (battery stays under the bonnet?).

That was also the other reason which put me off, the relocating of everything on to the opposite side, not a huge amount of work but still... and if the Porsche engine lets you retain everything where it should be all the better.

I always figured the 2.8 24v (baby 32) might have been a good choice, just given the kind of car they would come off might be less likely to have been trashed all its life, I believe they were called the old mans R32, can only imagine most R32's and Audi 3.2's have been driven hard all their lives now.