mooG60

Rear axle bush replacement.

4 hours ago, mooG60 said:

Oh Lord!

Do you guys know if the round collar is removable without damage, or is it impossible?

part number 18..............   

https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?function=getParts&market=RDW&model=COR&modelcode=76&year=1994&group=5&subgroup=500&part=106000&pid=3181&language=en

I believe people have used Passat parts in the past.

7 hours ago, Dox said:

I believe people have used Passat parts in the past.

It's the same setup for Mk2/3, Passat etc. and any VAG car with the old style stub axles and taper bearings and the standard 226 discs. Only difference is between ABS and non ABS to allow clearance for the sensor ring.

They will come out in one piece with very gentle persuasion, but are easily bent and damaged. A lot of the wheel bearing kits used to include these.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help with this.

AVS and Heritage are showing Meyle stub axles, not a good sign. 

3 hours ago, mooG60 said:

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help with this.

AVS and Heritage are showing Meyle stub axles, not a good sign. 

Check them first, just allow some slack for used OE  components 

3 hours ago, Dox said:

Check them first, just allow some slack for used OE  components 

Ok I will do thanks. 

Not sure if I want to use Meyle stubs, will have to search further afield tonight. It's not looking fruitful though.

Thank you for all your help.

I ended up with topran after a high quality German manufacturer in the description. Put the old ones back on with fag bearings no problems. 

3 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I ended up with topran after a high quality German manufacturer in the description. Put the old ones back on with fag bearings no problems. 

What seller was this?

Meyle are good? Better than Topran anyway. As for OEM don't think they are available anymore. The washer / cover can be had from classic parts for 5.39 euro. Part No 357 501 639

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalog/en_uk/part/357501639 

I tried topran on a mk3 but the ABS hole was in the wrong place. Slung them on the mk2 and put meyle on the mk3. Both cars out of my life so no idea on longevity!

1 hour ago, _Matt_ said:

Meyle are good? Better than Topran anyway. As for OEM don't think they are available anymore. The washer / cover can be had from classic parts for 5.39 euro. Part No 357 501 639

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalog/en_uk/part/357501639 

I tried topran on a mk3 but the ABS hole was in the wrong place. Slung them on the mk2 and put meyle on the mk3. Both cars out of my life so no idea on longevity!

Thanks Matt,  I was going to add the link to help others, but you beat me to it 👍

I did the research last night and found the Passat number, after double checking (20 times) I bought 2 sets from classic parts.  I should have waited and spent the evening doing something fun  😆

I've settled for Meyle as little else is available.  Autodoc had higher priced brands that I don't recognise, plus there's no time left to take risks. AVS were cheaper over Heritage by a tenner so they got the business.

Thank you to all,  your input has helped me navigate this nightmare!

I bought 3 pairs last time I ordered from Classics 😄 It's just one of those parts that is needed for a rear axle rebuild and will be obsolete soon. Thankfully they are still reasonable on cost.

Good luck with the rebuild, I'm dropping my Corrado off at Stealth tomorrow so may as well start on the spare axle I have at home in the meantime. 

The plan is timing chains, clutch, head refurb, 263 cams and a few little minor jobs plus anything else that is desparate. I have done all new brakes and bearings already. Suspension didn't arrive I time so that will be a part 2 exercise.

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk

Yeah a few pennies to spend but want to keep it and ive shrunk my "toy" cars from 3 to 1.

I saw a good tip on mk2 golf bush replacement - buy a cheap extra bush, drill out inards and its shape is an exact opposite of the bush you are pushing in so acts as a good template to apply pressure to push new bush in.

Sounds like a handy hack.

I told my mechanic 2 weeks ago to borrow the correct tool and his life will be made easier. No idea if he took the advice, probably not! 

The correct torque setting for the axle bush bolts should be set to 60Nm if my info is correct.

Can someone confirm for me please?

4 hours ago, fendervg said:

From the Fountain of Truth:

image.png

This relates to the pivot bracket to body bolts if I'm correct. 

In the Wiki axle bush guide the guy has quoted  ":Pivot Bracket to body bolts 70Nm  / Pivot bolts 60Nm" 

Am I correct in thinking that the pivot bolts are the bolts that pass through the actual bush?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually trying powerflex in my car this time around after chatting to a few people. Last car I had new rubber ones put in and did feel an improvement.

This time my car is at stealth and the bushes are tired needing replacement but I want to refurbish the beam in the future so thought I'd give powerflex a go and can always swap back to rubber when the beam is changed for a fresh one.

1 hour ago, _Matt_ said:

I'm actually trying powerflex in my car this time around after chatting to a few people. Last car I had new rubber ones put in and did feel an improvement.

This time my car is at stealth and the bushes are tired needing replacement but I want to refurbish the beam in the future so thought I'd give powerflex a go and can always swap back to rubber when the beam is changed for a fresh one.

At least you can be sure they will go in and out nice and easy! Not sure how it will be to drive - are there different grades of the rear poly bushes?