Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Damn annoying water leak

Hi

I need help with a water leak i have had for the last 4months or so, Only used too have to top it up once a week but now i do more miles and i have to top up once every 3days :-(

Booked the car into the local garage which is about 300yards behind where i live, and yet again even thou the car was BOOKED in they didn`t bother doing anything to it. Just left it where i parked it all day. So after losing it with the them i thought i might aswell do it myself.

After that little rant,to the point, I know where the leak is but not sure how to fix it. The water is coming out of the join between the black housing coming from the rad into the engine block(see pic).

what is needed to fix this, is there a O-ring or seal of some kind in there.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Ian

you need to change the water flange, thats the plastic bit the hoses and sensors sit in, order a new one from VW (only a few quid) you'll get a new seal for the block and new seal and clips for the sensors too (may as well put new sensors in too). Also change the one on the right hand side of the block too. easy job. Remember to refill you system with the correct mix of g12+.

BTW the new flanges are ver slightly different from the originals, they has three sensor holes in, but they still fit okay

as Nigel says, replace the actual flanges, not just the seals as they will almost certainly crack when you come to tighten up the bolts... the one on the side of the head is a little more fiddly to do 'cos of the metal water pipe, but you can just unhook that and then get the flange off... 8)

Complete list of bits you'll need below: (all available from Euro and GSF for much less than a Stealer! ;) )

Side coolant flange

Front coolant flange (now with 3 sensor holes)

Blue water temp sender

Black water temp sender

Water temp sender blank

3x O ring for water temp senders

3x retaining clip for water temp senders

2x head flange O rings

2litres G12+ coolant (or FEBI pink stuff which is the same just has a different non-VAG label on it! ;) )

Personally, I'd also change any of the pipe clips for jubilee clips while you're in there just to make life a little easier for yourself... 8)

The only tools you should need are a 10mm socket+ ratchet, a 10mm spanner, a flat blade screwdriver and something to undo those VAG pipe clamps (I used to use mole grips before I changed 'em all to Jubilee clips! ;) )

Good luck! :)

Yep, mines leaking from the same place, cheers for the list Henny as I need to order the same, just havn't got round to it yet :roll:

Are the plastic flanges from GSF ok or better to buy VAG??

BTW - the Febi stuff from GSF is G12 spec according to my local place, thats why they also sell VW's G12+ :wink:

I've used Euro ones for my last couple of changes (different engines! ;) ) and they've been fine... and about half the price too! 8)

just replace the flange, sensors, and orings and you will be fine. i actually just fixed my friends 2 days ago. your problems will be solved. its no more than $50 and a half hour to fix it yourself. =]

Right, Just done the repair and came very close to a HEART ATTACK!

What happen was doing up the head flange lower bolt and the bloody thing snapped in half, luckly abit of it was stick out the hole so i managed to remove it also found a almost identical bolt(slightly longer)

But was is the correct torgue setting for this bolts ? Did them up to 10nm and the seem alright so far

Only tested it with engine running for 5mins but NO leaks

dunno about the torque... I just did 'em up in my normal "that's fecking tight and ain't gonna fall out" fashion.... :oops: :lol: Saying that, I tend to use all new stainless bolts when I do jobs like this just to stop the chance of 'em snapping... ;) :mrgreen:

LOL, that's why Supercharged's leaked! They literally need just nipping up to bring the plastic into contact with the head and that's it, 12lb/ft at the most.