Sign in to follow this  
Jez

Fuel guage problem

My fuel guage has gone nuts.

The other day I noticed it was reading over a full tank, which I knew was not right, so not knowing how much fuel I had went and filled up. Over the next day, it appeared to look like it was working again as the fuel level started dropping normally. However, on the way back home from work today it was reading 1/4 full or nothing at all.

Now either the magic fuel fairies are taking the piss, or more likely I have a problem somewhere. Anyone had a sililar experience or know what to check? I had a look where the fuel pump is in the boot but couldn't make out where the sensor for the fuel level is. Is it a float type?

Your advice please!

If it's the same as the Corrado 16v (and I imagine it is) then the fuel level sender is a float-type device that is part of the 'in-tank' fuel pump assembly. Hence, the pump assembley needs to be removed in order to gain access to it. IIRC it's simply a case of: remove cover from boot floor (three screws I believe), disconnect two fuel pipes, undo fuel pump assembly retaining ring (the big plastic mutha), remove pump assembly.

Quite what you're problem is I'm not sure, but I guess that's as good a place as any to start. Just to clarify, it's ONLY the fuel gauge that's playing up, right? If so then the voltage regulator in the clocks is likely out of the equation as I believe this is common to other gauges too...such as the temp. gauge.

AFAIK the vr6 fuel pump is a "combined" one as opposed to the main and lift fuel pumps on the valver...........dunno if it makes a difference re the sender tho :?