Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Rear Suspension Question

OK, I give in.

I've been having issues with my rear suspension. Upon closer examination, I found that the bits of rubber at the top of my rear springs had perished, and large chunks had fallen off :shock:

I explained this to my local garage who took the car away from me and when they bought it back, they hadn't changed these parts but they fixed the suspension problem... :scratch: :lol:

They changed the rear top mounts (both upper and lower). The bits that are in various stages of disentegration are the 'spring cups' or somesuch (apparently these have no real effect on the car :?: )

Could some kind soul please explain this one to me (what are they called and why are they there! - the 'cup' thingymebobs)...

Ta ;)

The bump stops? Sort of spongey collars around the top of the strut? They are supposed to prevent the shock absorber from hitting it's end stop in use.

They affect the ride/handling slightly too, acting as a spring assistor, they should be in perfect condition & full length, the garage should of replaced them

The bump stops look kind of like big orange (probably black now!) blobby dildo things.

The top spring plate is also prone to rusting and if it goes won't do wonders for your suspension as the spring will then be resting directly on the chassis.

Both are worth replacing and are pretty cheap. Bump stops you can get from GSF, spring plates from VAG and are both around £10 each IIRC

The bump stops? Sort of spongey collars around the top of the strut? They are supposed to prevent the shock absorber from hitting it's end stop in use.

Sorry, just re-read that... this rubber thingy is part of the spring, in between the top two 'coils'...

Yeah VW sell those. I don't know what VW call them on EKTA (probably something vague like "rubber lump") but they sit on the spring's upper coil to bridge gap between spring and top plate. You'll see them on the exploded diagram.

Very unusual for those to start breaking up. They compress a bit but I've never seen one start disintegrating.

Have no real effect on the car? Jees, where were your mechanics trained??

I had them changed on my VR and at 93K, they were fine, just went a little soft and out of shape.

I don't know what VW call them on EKTA (probably something vague like "rubber lump")

If I'm reading the diagram correctly, it says #12. Packing - Upper.

Helpful (not) :lol:

New ones from VW or GSF seem to be made out of better stuff these days (I think they are black now) I had to change mine when I bought the car last year at 82k, as there was only a scraggy looking piece left at the top! :?

I have issues with my rear suspension also. I have a VR6 fitted with Eibach springs. It sits a bit low at the back and needs raising about an inch. I didnot have the top mounts replaced when the springs were fitted. Could they have commpressed?

Nah that's just the way the Eibachs cause the car to sit. What dampers have you got? The TA rear konis are height adjustable to compensate.

New OE dampers on the front and the original old dampers on the back. Is changing the dampers to the konis as you say the best option? Dont suppose anyone has an exploded veiew of the rear suspension as this would be a great help.

Here you go:- Ignore the pic of the Golf, they are Corrado parts!

Eibachs are too stiff for the standard dampers, you really ought to fit some tougher ones, such as the Koni TAs. The ride will improve then and you can adjust the rear height.

The bump stops look kind of like big orange (probably black now!) blobby dildo things.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Here you go:- Ignore the pic of the Golf, they are Corrado parts!

Eibachs are too stiff for the standard dampers, you really ought to fit some tougher ones, such as the Koni TAs. The ride will improve then and you can adjust the rear height.

similar problem with Eibachs on my 16v, do the Koni's have an adjustable plate that the spring sits on then? good news, as the gas has gone from one of my rear Boge's (which were too hard anyway).

David.

Indeed they do. The lower spring plate sits on a circlip, which can move to 1 of 5 (IIRC) positions in 10mm steps.

mmm, can't find any references to TA's only 'Sport' and the code numbers 80-2587Sport, 80-2587SPD2, 8041-1108Sport.

After a bit of digging it looks like the 80-2587SPD2 is 5 groove and designed for lower springs.

got the info from:

http://www.koni.com/_cars/_sport/afram.html

David.[/url]

After a bit of digging it looks like the 80-2587SPD2 is 5 groove and designed for lower springs.

That's the fella.....

Most TA Koni yellows (sport) are height adjustable. A very useful addition.

Would it be aceptable to put the koni shocks on the rear for now as I recon I can do this my self and leave the originals on the front until I can get it done. If I do it my self Ill bugger up the camber settings wont I?

Would it be aceptable to put the koni shocks on the rear for now as I recon I can do this my self and leave the originals on the front until I can get it done. If I do it my self Ill bugger up the camber settings wont I?

Whenever I've done just the rears it's never affected the alignment etc... I've got OK front's at the moment so I'm planning on doing just the rears too, same part from Koni for 16v or vr6, how about a group buy of rear Koni's!

David.

Yeah doing the rear first is fine but turn the dampers to minimum until you get the fronts on.

A GB on Konis - now that's an idea :lol:

A GB on KONI's would be tops.... I need new shocks :lol:

I'll ring a few places and see how many items would need ordering for what sort of discount anyone would be prepared to give, I've pretty much decided to get Koni's now so any discount would be a bonus.

I'll get back to the forum when I've got some info.

Fom AMD's website (VW dampers link doesn't work) it looks like audi rears are between 60 and 80 quid plus vat each, so I'd imagine the Corrado ones won't be cheap, we'll see.

TSR do full kits from about 270 plus vat.

David.