Sign in to follow this  
boab

what brakes will fit a 16v

could someone tell me which brakes i could get to fit on a 16v, the front are needing replaced and i wanna fit performance ones, i dont really wanna spend anymore than 350-400 for this and would also like the rear ones in they price to, any suggestions?? will g60 brakes fit or any other kind,, or bigger ones

Brembos for the front are around the £400 mark but they will only fit behind certain wheel designs without spacers. They should be OK with your 17s. Henny has got them on his G60 and is the best person to speak to about those I think.

At the rear there is a way of fitting 280mm front discs and calipers but it's a bit involved and not strictly necessary and significantly increases unsprung weight.

Uprated alloy calipers are totally different to the original iron ones so the spec you order is purely configured for the hub layout than the original caliper design. However, there are differences in master cylinder piston size which will have a bearing on pedal feel. G60 is 22mm, VR6 is 23.1 mmm, not sure what the 16v MC size is. The bigger the MC, the more fluid it pushes and thus greater pressure exerted on the calipers, but the compromise being initial bite at slow speeds. Bigger MCs tend to feel woolly at slow speeds but come into their own during high speed braking.

The way I see it you've got 3 options within your budget

1. Just fit standard 280mm g60 brakes to your car. This won't improve one off stopping power that much as the pad area is the same as the 256mm setup on your valver. However, because the disc has a larger diameter it shouldn't heat up as quickly so repeated braking during 'spirited driving' should be better.

2. Audi S2 twin piston setup. These calipers and carriers bolt onto your exising hubs and can be used with g60 280mm discs. I am in the process of fitting them to my golf at the moment. The advantage over the g60 setup is the much larger pad area, which should give much better stopping power.

3. Ibiza cupra r brembo 305mm. These are the ones kevhaywire was talking about. You should be able to get the kit within your budget and they would give the best stopping power (and they look good too) Your master cylinder should be a 22mm one which should be well up to the job as well. The only possible problem for most people would be the need for a big wheel but your 17s should clear them ok.

EDIT: And there shouldn't be any need to touch the rears, they don't do that much anyway. Althought the brake bias valve will need adjusting if you put bigger brakes on the front. Just go for good pads at the rear and change the brake fluid.

you could do with checking your wheels over a set of Brembos before spending the money first though! It's all to do with the shape of the INNER FACE of the wheel rather than the diameter as to if they'll clear the brembos or not! My 16" wheels will clear with a 10mm spacer, so they will fit inside them happily, it's just that if the spokes curve inwards at the edges of the wheel you may have clearance problems... :|

Check 'em before spending your hard earned! ;)