Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Rear brakes - update 9/9

Looks suspiciously like what I've got sitting in my car waiting to go on the C. Hopefully the bodyshop will be able to work it out tho.

Kev, If that was seperate to the bearings kit, I also ordered us a cover that ETKA says you need when replacing the ABS rotors - maybe just a spacer of some kind...

Did you manage to get any Fast Roader's?

Thought it might be something to do with the ABS rotors but it sits perfectly in the rear bearing aperture tho, so thought I'd better check!

Yeah I'm picking the FRs up tomorrow :lol:

I've also hammerited the discs black on the non-abrasive surfaces, otherwise they rust to fcuk over the winter.

The arrowed part falls through the ABS rotor and you can't get the seal into the disc for the rear bearing if that part is on the disc...... I'll know more when I take it all apart tomorrow I guess!

I've also hammerited the discs black on the non-abrasive surfaces

You the man!

Are you doing them after work then or day off? - I finish early tomorrow, got some meeting at Belstead Brook Hotel wherever that is so may pop down afterwards...

What are you doing about pressing the bearings in and more importantly winding back the caliper pistons?? :?

Doing it after work... shouldn't take long.

Bearing shells are already pressed in using appropriately sized sockets :wink:

Winding pistons in..... well, unfortunately post 88 calipers don't have the handy 10mm allen hole for winding them in, so I'll try a couple of tool shops in town. My calipers are new, so they might wind in easily enough by some other method.....I'll see.

Im just back from fitting rear brakes to a mk3 16v about 20 minutes ago and we never seen the part you've arrowed.

I made a wind back tool from a long bolt with a 17mm head, a nut to fit and a load of big washers. Put the head of the bolt on the piston, thread the nut on then the washers after the nut on the caliper.

All you need to do then is hold the nut and turn the bolt, the piston will turn with the bolt once theres a bit of pressure on it.

Here is the order of parts installation starting at the rear axle beam itself:

rotor dust sheild

stub axle

the part you have arrowed presses on to the stub axle and covers the stub axle retaining bolts. larger OD side is outward

rear rotor (with abs ring on rear side, bearing and seal)

outer bearing

washer

castle nut

cotter pin

dust cover

:)

hmmm shiny....are they standard corrado parts or mk4?

There all Corrado parts but I should have ordered Audi discs as they do some with a different metal in them apparetnly that makes them look slightly yellow but resists corrosion...

Both me and Kev have Mk4 Calipers and you also need late mk3 Pads (to fit the mk4 Claipers better than the older ones and also fit over the 10mm MK2 discs)

hmmm shiny....are they standard corrado parts or mk4?

There all Corrado parts but I should have ordered Audi discs as they do some with a different metal in them apparetnly that makes them look slightly yellow but resists corrosion...

Both me and Kev have Mk4 Calipers and you also need late mk3 Pads (to fit the mk4 Claipers better than the older ones and also fit over the 10mm MK2 discs)

Err so are the pads I bought for my C gonna fit into the Mk4 calipers?! I didn't think of that :?

normal Corrado rear pads fit into the MKIV calipers fine dinkus, don't worry... (I'm running 'em in mine, and as Jim will testify, the brakes work well... ;) :lol: )

normal Corrado rear pads fit into the MKIV calipers fine dinkus, don't worry... (I'm running 'em in mine, and as Jim will testify, the brakes work well... ;) :lol: )

Ok good, had a mild soiling of pants moment there. I can put the phone down now, don't need to order different ones.

Jees what a chore! Not wanting to do the rear brakes again.... but I'm going to have to as I only managed one side tonight. Took 2 hours, which included some painting and other maintanence, so not too bad really.

Note the proper tool below. It is a feckin god send.... makes the job a *lot* easier. It's not a cheap tool, so anyone in my region is welcome to borrow it.

Even with the MK4 calipers, the rear brakes weren't working. Check the state of the old disc! Basically the old pads had to be hammered off, never a good sign. It was just one big rusty mess which had welded itself together!

Luckily the carrier bolts didn't round out but a quick tip there. Douse them in plus-gas, remove the bottom one first, then hammer the carrier up and down round the disc to 'crack off' the rust and loosen the bolt.

The pads now slide easily and it's all clean and new...... nice :lol:

They were working a bit, but not as efficiently as they could have been. As mentioned, they weren't working fully because the pads were jammed solid onto the carrier and weren't sliding freely as they're supposed to.

The net result being the calipers were struggling to move the pads :?

I made damn sure everything was free moving when putting it back together. You can tell by the unworn portion of the disc on the outer edge that the pads were barely moving.

They *will* work now.

Tool was £67. Could have got it cheaper online but I needed it today and the toolshop had one in stock....

K

Just MK4 calipers and pads. Everything else is Corrado. MK4 calipers have wider jaws for the 2mm thicker pads and they're alloy, not cast iron. The handbrake mechanism is revised on MK4 calipers too, so won't sieze up like they always used to on MK2s/Corrados.

It's just a cr@p system anyway. VW are cheap skates. Normally you'd have a drum brake inside the disc for the handbrake but VW thought they'd be clever and share the same caliper with the foot and handbrake. It's total cr@p.

VWs have the most ineffective rear brakes of any car I've ever driven.....

It's just a cr@p system anyway.

I've just stripped a pair of 140,000 mile ford rear calipers that use exactly the same system and they are in perfect condition, the handbrake mechanism slides beautifully, and the pistons themselves look brand new.

£67 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You was robbed :oops: :mrgreen:#

VWs have the most ineffective rear brakes of any car I've ever driven.....

To be fair, fwd cars only use about 10% rear braking. Which would explain why it isn't that much of a problem when they seize

Want brand are the Ford calipers? VW use Lucas/Girling on the rear.

I was slightly robbed with the tool but it's better than the cr@p £15 thing Halfords sell, which is nothing like the "proper" one I purchased!