Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Rear brakes - update 9/9

Want brand are the Ford calipers? VW use Lucas/Girling on the rear.

I was slightly robbed with the tool but it's better than the cr@p £15 thing Halfords sell, which is nothing like the "proper" one I purchased!

Thing is, the one you bought actually replaces the pads, cleans off the dust, does a 4-wheel alignment and wipes your arse too :lol:

Oh and kev, do the standard Pagid FR Corrado pads fit in the Mk4 calipers? If not then I need to get hold of some more pads pronto...

Yep they do.

Seems to be some confusion surrounding what pads to use in MK4 calipers on a MK2/Corrado.

Stealth say "Normal Corrado ones"

Bloke 1 at C&R says "Use MK4 pads"

Bloke 2 at C&R says "Use 1998 MK3 GTI pads"

Bloke 3 at C&R says "Use a bar of Dove soap"

I was at G&SF yesterday and I had MK2, MK3 and MK4 pads all in a line on the counter. The difference? 1mm thickness across all 3. So MK4 pads are 2mm thicker than MK2/Corrado ones, 4mm extra thickness overall. As the MK4 callies have 5mm wider jaws than MK2, you'd think "Ah, MK4 pads are cool then" . WRONG! MK4s have thinner discs.....doh!

Anyway, the best solution is to use 1998 MK3 pads in MK4 calipers but MK2/Corrado pads are fine, but you won't get as firm a pedal.

Pagid Fast road pad numbers:-

Corrado all - FR-5022

98 - MK3/MK4 - FR-5075

K

Ah well I've got the FR-5022's that are going on. I'll put the Mk3 ones on next time though.

Thanks for clearing that up Kev.

Thinner pads - more piston movement.

only on your very first press... :? and you should pump the brakes for a little while once you've changed the pads anyway to get all the pistons to take up the slack before trying to drive the car anywhere, so from then on there is no clearance difference, otherwise as you pad wore down you'd have to press the brake pedal further and further to get 'em to work... :|

That's the reason you have to screw the pistons back in when you replace the pads, they're not spring loaded/auto return so they keep the pad VERY close to the disk at all times...

There should be absolutely NO difference in brake feel if you're using the same compound brake pads if they were standard, 2mm thicker, or just about to be completely worn out... :roll: