Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

wheel nuts...is there a 'trick' ?

just went to put my new wheels on, and i'll be bu&&erd if i can shift the wheel nuts at all! I think when i got the tyres changed they used one of those gun thingys to put them back on. is there a trick or a nack to getting them off other than brute force or going to garage and asking them nicely?

nice big breaker bar and brute force should do the trick,the air guns dont tighten them up that much unless they have the torque setting set to high

the longer the tyre iron the better leverage you would get.

Otherwise put tyre iron on properly just above horizontal step on it putting your hands on the car pillar (so as to support some of your weight) let your weight "crakk it" do same for others.

ive even seen one time where i needed to hop a bit.

helps if you weigh about 14st or more...... ahem i wont tell you my wieght :oops: lets lets just say the name is quite true.

Be carful though make sure the iron is on properly so you dont sheer the nut and not too much weight only enough to xcrack it and dont forget handbrake.

helps if you weigh about 14st or more

damn my sucessful diet! just under 11st! :(

looks like I'm going to have to invest in a breaker bar or a really long tyre iron tomorrow then!

nah try it first just youll need all your weight and to hop/bounce a bit

my mate managed it with his weedy 9st

tbh honest i only use one foot and no even half my weight.

I havent weighed less tha 12 since i was 12 :cry:

:p :lol:

At least the car is at home and your not stuck on a roadside with a puncture trying to get them off... :?

You must have a bit of pipe somewhere or the handle of a trolley jack you can use as a bar...

Had a nightmare getting dinkus' off when we did his top mounts. Broke 2 socket adaptors, and one socket. You can see the results in the how to guide for the top mounts (i think). Invest in a 4ft 1/2 inch breaker bar and a set of 1/2 inch impact sockets if you plan on doing any work on an old car. If you cant shift a bolt (or shear it) with that then you'll need air tools :(

Or do what I do and take the car apart every week which keeps all the bolts free of corrosion :mrgreen:

:lol:

You may also find that once you get the wheel nuts off, the wheel itself has nicely corroded itself to the hub, which will require some 'gentle persuasion' with a lump hammer to come off.

Make sure you put lots of copper slip on the wheel/hub first so it comes off a bit easier next time.

You may also find that once you get the wheel nuts off, the wheel itself has nicely corroded itself to the hub, which will require some 'gentle persuasion' with a lump hammer to come off.

I had this myself, on the rear wheels, and I came up with a nice little trick:

Jack the rear of the car up till the wheel is off the ground, then jam on the hand-brake as hard as you can. As you slowly lower the car back down the tyre will hit the tarmac and a slight twisting motion will be applied to the wheel, (normally you can hear your brakes 'creak' when you do this). If the hand-brake is on hard enough the twisting motion will simply break the corrosion. (Wouldn't work on the front wheels though...)

Then apply some copper grease to stop it hapenning again.