Sign in to follow this  
Ka`

Alarms, what to go for?

I am sure this is an age old question, and I don't want to start a war :)

I have the factory fitted alarm + immobiliser in the C. If I understand correctly, this has

now definitely been rated as Thatcham cat 2. I think it's also causing me problems and would

like to upgrade.

I've spoken to a couple of other Dub people and most have recommended Clifford... Would

you agree? I can't really afford more than £350 fitted, and it must have full closure, at least.

Anything else? The reason why I've stuck with the current set up is that my car lives on a

quiet street, has not so far been broken into, and has never had a false alarm! I don't think

my neighbours would love me dearly if my alarm starts going off at 3am, just for the hell of

it. At least, those are the horror stories I've heard from some.

Any help/opinions appreciated!

Cheers,

Rica

Ah, cheers Dinkus...

Flooding the board again with questions answered :D

I have a headcold, I blame that

Cheers,

Rica

clifford are good alarms, but 1 of my mates is in the car alarm business, hes company dont do clifford due 2 a number of them allways playing up, the best alarm he says 2 go 4 is the sigma m20, cat 1 and about £300 fitted, :D

ive got a toad cat 2 waiting to upgrade to a toad ai606. Most people will go for a clifford, butthey are far too common, and thus most thieves will know how to deactivate them with ease. Toad have a lways been a good brand to go for, i would defintely recommend em.

I've been told by alot of alarm installers that recently newer cliffords have had faults come up that they are struggling to fix... its why I went for a TOAD Ai606 CAT 1... otherwise I would have got a Clifford...

You do know the CAT 2 has to be ripped out if you upgrade to a CAT 1?

Heard many stories with regard to cliffords playing up...... although I've no first hand experience of this myself.

Have had 4 toads now (last 3 being ai606, and the last 2 being self fitted)

Last 6 years, I've not had any false alarms I couldn't put down to something silly like the interior sensor sensitivity.

Couldn't reccommend them enough.

Oh, and toads have the best fobs by far!

Cheers guys,

I think I am going to go for a Sigma M30, although I am not currently too happy about the

installation price I am being quoted.

How important is VSIB accreditation? I suppose I have to call my insurance company to

see.

Cheers,

Rica

I don't think any alarm can claim to be 100% reliable, but Sigmas are probably the best at the moment, despite my mate's having a fit at the McDonald's drive thru window! Very embarrasing!

I don't think any alarm can claim to be 100% reliable, but Sigmas are probably the best at the moment, despite my mate's having a fit at the McDonald's drive thru window! Very embarrasing!

Yeah I can imagine.. I mean actually being seen at a McDonalds, let alone attracting attention to it... :lol:

despite my mate's having a fit at the McDonald's drive thru window! Very embarrasing!

Well I think it's probably not a bad thing that some sort of alarm goes off when ordering a McDees. :lol:

LOL... he was given his order and then the windows rolled up by themselves, the engine switched off and the alarm started screaming. We couldn't deactivate it for love nor money.....so we were stuck there at the window, siren wailing and car immobilised. We had to flip the bonnet and disconnect the battery, and then it reset itself. All to the amusement of the hungry chavs forming a long queue behind us :?

Oh boy - top 10 embarassing moments when owning a car - that'd have to rate pretty highly! :)

Indeed.....it was an Impreza with a silly rear spoiler too, so the embarrasment factor was quadrupled........ funny thing was I happened to have a couple of spanners in my coat pocket (you need them if you own a Corrado) otherwise we would have been stuffed. No toolkit supplied with his Subaru :roll:

Funny that you had spanners on you Kev - its like you are so used to the Corrado doing something wrong that even when you are not in the car you just carry them with you out of habit :)

Reminds me of a story someone posted on the CCGB a while back - someone had his Corrado in for service at local stealers (gulp) - one of the guys was working under the bonnet, car had auto immobilised but he needed to start the engine. So window was open, mechanic reaches into car, turns on ignition and goes to press the button to disable the immobiliser.. except the key hasn't turned in the ignition properly and the car locks, arms alarm and rolls up the window - mechanic whips his arm out of the fastly closing window. Hm.. what now!! :)

Quick phone call to the owner to get his missus to drop him off with the spare keys & fob :)

LOL, what a berk!

I don't actually carry any tools in the car as it's so far (touches wood) been totally reliable, but I was doing some fiddling in the engine bay and just stuck the spanners in my pocket when my mate called round.....good job really!