Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

Broken speedo gear on top of the tranny - help!

how do it get that bad boy off? i finally traced it down to that being the problem. help me figure out how to get this thing off as soon as possible. driving where i live with no speedo is not a good thing. help me!

"Is this 'gear on the tranny" thread in any way related to the "I can't find my nipple' thread"? ;) :lol:

Sorry, not very helpful :D

have you got a mechanical milage counter on the dash or 2 LCDs on your speedo cluster?

If you have the first, then you'll have a speedo cable which drives the speedo and may have either snapped internally, or simply come off at the speedo end.... If you have the latter, then it may just be a broken wire or disconnected plug...

In both cases, the speedo drive on the gearbox is right at the back of the gearbox towards the center of the engine bay, on top of the diff housing (the big bit wot sticks out and has the drive shafts either side....) It's the only thing back there with either a BIG thick (around 8mm IIRC) cable on it, or an electrical plug on it... 8)

Hope this helps.... 8)

i have the early model cluster so it has the manual odometer. the speedo cable is good. the guage cluster is good. it is the speedo gear on the tranny that is messed up somehow. i dont know how to remove it so i can replace it. i have found it on the tranny, but i have no idea how that piece comes off of the tranny. someone help me figure this out. i looked in the bible (bentley) and i cannot seem to find anything on that piece.

I'm pretty certain there's just a single 10mm headed bolt just next to the cable to undo... you undo that, then the whole thing just pulls out of the gearbox... be VERY carefull not to disturb the gear on the end of the cable too much else it may fall off into the gearbox, at which point you're in a whole heap of trouble... :|