Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

crazy paving brake disks

i was meant to pick up a drivers door from sheffield on saturday at 6pm but almost forgot about it as i was round at a friends house working on his alfa 155 :pukeright:

i looked at my watch and it was 4.15 pm :shock: , well i still managed to get to the other side of sheffield from wrexham by 6pm :evil: but on the way back the brakes didnt feel quite right

they felt a bit soft and juddery, and on sunday they felt even worse the pedal was actually pushing back at me when i was braking :(

this morning i took all four wheels off to take them to the tyre place to get the tyres swapped on to my new bbs rm's and the front disks are all crazed with a couple of large cracks running from the middle to the outside edge :shock:

i think the new ebc greenstuff pads might have been too much for them :roll:

i will try and get some pics up later to show the crazing

any suggestions on new disks?

i dont really want to spend a fortune and i really dont want grooved disks as i bought the greenstuff pads to reduce the amount of dust that was collecting on the wheels and grooved disks would create more dust wouldnt they ?

i also wanted to avoid the grooved disks as i have heard they need to be declared on the insurance =£££££

which is pretty anoying as it actually makes the car safer.

how much did they set you back??

£200 all together from demon tweeks

erm.... i think i might just get standard ones and just drive slower :lol:

as i cant really afford to spend that much on disks at the mo as i have just ordered new wishbones, bushes, ball joints, thermostat+housing and will need a new backbox very soon :(

any cheaper suggestions :oops:

i got zimmerman discs from GSF for £35+vat each. they are crossdrilled which is nice.

whole lot cost me £214 thats 4 x discs and 4 sets of pads (did the rears too)

The standard VAG steel is pretty good stuff, but it's not a cheap option... I went for VAG disks and Pagid FR pads all round and I think the total came to £250ish for the lot.

And coolrado, how much did the wishbones, bushes and ball joints set you back? I'm thinking of replacing them on my C...

And coolrado, how much did the wishbones, bushes and ball joints set you back? I'm thinking of replacing them on my C...

WISHBONE x2 £ 43.76

BALL JOINT x2 £ 13.56

from http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

the wishbones come with the bushes allready fitted as it saves a lot of hastle

WISHBONE x2 £ 43.76

BALL JOINT x2 £ 13.56

from http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

the wishbones come with the bushes allready fitted as it saves a lot of hastle

Ah cheers, could be a worthwhile investment.

i got zimmerman discs from GSF for £35+vat each. they are crossdrilled which is nice.

sounds reasonable any one else got these ??

Depends on the quality of the disc, amount of holes and how hard they're used I guess. I've had some cheapy Zimmermans crack on me before.

You won't see a modern Porsche drilled disc crack :wink:

oh yeah?

I read recently the porsche cabon ceramic discs were cracking regularly, replacements every 5000 miles.

They are cross-drilled, but just not in the right places, as you mentioned. Too many holes, in the wrong places...

deag.

oh yeah?

I read recently the porsche cabon ceramic discs were cracking regularly, replacements every 5000 miles.

They are cross-drilled, but just not in the right places, as you mentioned. Too many holes, in the wrong places...

deag.

i read the problem with the ceramic discs being that owners were thinking that they had an infinite lifetime(due to the massive cost of them as options)and just subjecting them to abuse and wondering why after 5k miles they were Fubar'd...........nothing to do with the amount or location of the holes......and IIRC they aren't drilled as such but are "cast" with the holes in position :wink:

Hmm: given that it's a Porsche, surely owners can give the standard disks just the same amount of abuse and they aren't known for cracking/falling apart every 5k miles..?

Surely you'd have to spend all day sitting on the brake pedal whilst rolling down a hill to trash disks AND pads in 5k miles...

Unless you drive a Cayenne, in which case stopping once from top speed should do it.

and IIRC they aren't drilled as such but are "cast" with the holes in position :wink:

Yeah thought they were. That's the difference between decent drilled discs and cheap ones.

As for discs wearing out in 5K..... I feel that is a slight exaggeration but who cares from from a Porsche owner's POV? If they can afford a 996 turbo AND spec it up with the X50 pack and Ceramic/carbon brakes then surely they can afford the astronomical servicing that goes with it?