Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

VR6 heater dial

I went to adjust the heater the other day to direct the air onto the screen and then it just went all stiff and wouldn't move. The air only comes out on my feet now. Has the cable snapped or something?

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

More likely snagged.

If it had snapped, it wouldn't be stiff.

Think the same dial on mine has kinda snagged as it won't go to setting 4 (the one that is most-clockwise).

This happened to mine too - and then the spindle sheared off! :oops:

My advice would be to grease the cables - they are a pain to get to, but it should fix the problem. Don't whatever you do force the dial - I did this and you know what happened! :mad: The cog that is connected to the cables has a PLASTIC spindle - flimsy as hell and just waiting to go bang!

HTH

Cheers

Mark

If you need a replacement, get it from a breakers. Corrado ones that work are hard to find but a Passat one fits. Should cost you £20.

Have you actually tried to fit any from a Passat? I did and although one of the part numbers on the back matches they work differently with four cables rather than three. The correct part number starts with a '53' so is unique to the Corrado I think you'll find. I'd love to be proved wrong but I think I'm right unfortunately.

Arse. :?

Cheers chaps, I haven't actually pulled the heater control panel off yet to see what delights await me behind, but I must say, what a complete pile of shite the late Corrado interior is. The fag lighter just clips in and is loose and wobbly, the whole dash creaks and rattles, the heater dials are flimsy as hell, don't line up with the inscriptions and the other two are poorly lit at night. No wonder it didn't sell in huge numbers!!

Oh well, all part of the car's 'character' I suppose :?

Kev

Yeah the heater controls are dead flimsy - the earlier style dash with the MK2 Golf heater was much more robust.

I might have a go at trying to make the dial illumination a bit brighter when I get round to it - maybe a brighter bulb or something.

Good luck fixing the heater direction Knob!

Cheers

Mark

Hmmm, took it all to bits this eve and found that the top cable lever of the direction knob is jammed solid. The bottom one is fine.

I have a nasty feeling it's jammed at the flap end. Where are the flaps etc? The cables look like they dissapear off behind the centre console?

The dial illumination is done by one bulb in the middle dial, which is then shared across the other two via optics. Totally crap.

Cheers

Kev

lennylogknob,

Yep, Passat unit definitely works. They have two types, one with 4 and another with 3 cables - something to do with their air con I think. The 3 cable one went in to my C with no problems. VW wanted the best part of a grand to do this with new parts (which would have inc a new plasic consol to replace teh damaged one after some bast@rd nicked the radio).

Passat 1988-92 rhd non-aircon heater controls.

Model number(1st 3 digits) is Passat, but the other digits are identical (so it's the same...)

Visit your friendly local scrappy today. :)

I might have a go at trying to make the dial illumination a bit brighter when I get round to it - maybe a brighter bulb or something.

Mark

Keep forgetting to reply to this --- you can get higher wattage bulbs for the heater dial illumination you know - Halfords (spit!) stock the two wattages - the second one I bought was the higher wattage (sorry can't remember what watt it was!) and it's made the illumination acceptable now as opposed to "hardly noticable" as it was.

My dash board creaks by the drivers side tweeter, it bugs me so much that I start hitting it sometimes. If theres one thing I hate is creaks and noises and squeeky breaks. That is when I wish I bought a brand new car but there is noting out there that matches the look and love that the c offers so I guess I just have to sort them out fast before I take a large tool to my dash. Can anyone help with the creaky dash?

I went to adjust the heater the other day to direct the air onto the screen and then it just went all stiff and wouldn't move. The air only comes out on my feet now. Has the cable snapped or something?

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

I've got this problem too.. how easy it it to take the the dials out? Are the just held in with clips or does something need to be attacked from the rear.

I've got this problem too.. how easy it it to take the the dials out? Are the just held in with clips or does something need to be attacked from the rear.

Pull all 3 dials off (pull firmly towards you and they'll just pop off) - remembering which was which 'cos they're not all the same...

Trim surround pops off when levered from left & right sides gently with a flat blade screwdriver...

... to reveal 4 screws, 1 at each corner. Unscrew these and the control panel flops out......

And, in true Haynes manual style "for re-assembly follow the steps in reverse order"

:D

Erm, almost...the control panel is mounted behind the centre console insert (bit that holds the radio and swtichgear), so that'll have to come out aswell.

Be very careful when you ease it out as the plastic is very brittle and you don't want to snap the plastic where the cable retainer clips sit, as mine did :cry:

I've just disconnected the screen vent cable and manually opened the flap fully. This is the most important vent area imo so happy to lose the control over my feet. The face vents still work. It's a very fragile system and you may find, as I did, that the bottom flap jumped several teeth, which will need resetting.

Kev