Sign in to follow this  
RACK

Car for the GF

Right, just about to put my Girlfriends Fiat Scecento (god knows how to spell it) Sporting into the trader and she's gonna have about £2k to spend on a car. She wants a corsa but I'm sure there's something else out there?

Anyoe got any ideas?

I thought about a polo

Cheers ppl

RACK

I would say a polo or, heavens forbid, a ford ka. I take it running costs are important otherwise you would have suggested a corrado!?

I'd like her to have a C but think the insurance would be a bit too high for her.

She's already had a Ka, she thought it would be a good idea to modify the front end with the side of a bus, hence insurance being a little prob.

I also tried to get her to think bout a Mk2 but shed like something a bit newer.

The Polo is at the top of my list at the min, and I'm bringing her round to the idea of a Dub.

Seen a really nice Black 1.6GL and white 1.4SE, both round the £2k mark

Anyone know what they're like?

Pug 306 TD. 60 mpg, group 5 insurance, 144 lbft. For cheap runabouts look no further!!

I would be surprised if you can get 60mpg mate .... :wink:

The best ever I have managed in mine is 58mpg and that was driving like an old lady.... :-P - not to mention keeping the revs under 2200rpm when the turbo cuts in...

If you use the turbo then it drops to about 45mpg...

But yep the 306 TD is a great car with lots of torque - £2k will get you a nice one but stay away from the D turbo S models as these tend to get hammered by younger drivers.

FSH is ESSENTIAL!

I'd like her to have a C but think the insurance would be a bit too high for her.

She's already had a Ka, she thought it would be a good idea to modify the front end with the side of a bus, hence insurance being a little prob.

I also tried to get her to think bout a Mk2 but shed like something a bit newer.

The Polo is at the top of my list at the min, and I'm bringing her round to the idea of a Dub.

Seen a really nice Black 1.6GL and white 1.4SE, both round the £2k mark

Anyone know what they're like?

Best stear clear of the 1.6GL, I had a new one after my VR6 (long Story) and talk about a guzzler. 1.4 top all rounder.

@Dinkus and vwdubs :lol: :lol:

I've just got her an insurance quote and there's only £2 worth of difference between the 1.6 and 1.4. But it will save her about a £150 over the fiat.

@ Storm classic I think from the look of it I'll keep an eye out for a 1.4. Is the 1.6 that bad on fuel then?

Personally would get the 1.4 16V if heart set on the Polo... its a cracker of an engine and more refined - the old 1.6 is a bit long in the tooth...

The 16v are well sweet, but go for about £500 more than the normal one's. Granted, personally I would go for a 16v, but I don't think she has the extra £500 for one.

Thanks for all the advice already and I'll let you lot know as soon as I get her one.

I just want to mod it!!! There's some smart Polo's going about!

Not sure if she'd let me bang a G60 or VR6 lump in it though :lol:

Is the 1.6 that bad on fuel then?

no worries on the polo. 1.6 a bit long in the tooth and not very friendly on the old pocket.

Have another polo as a runabout tomorrow (or maybe the next day) or at least when i get rid of my E240evo. Top all rounder! :D

yea a friend of mine has a 1.4 8v, very good for the money. I would just put 16s on it and some light smoked tints, the body kits look a bit budget.

Never thought about an Ibiza. I'll get looking.

At the min, I've spotted a nice metallic grey 1.4SE. Looks spot on and exactly what she's after.

Kust hope her Fiat sells quick.

polo polo polo!!! definately...it has soo much better build qaulity than the ibiza...i just bought one for £2500, black 16v...watch this space! 8)

My last one was a 1.6CL black mk4 too...they're great cars and have unrivalled reliabilty compared to fiats, fords or vauxhalls...in my book anyway.

there was a woman in coventry selling a 1.4CL black with 78k on the clock...last i phoned her was a week ago and she wanted £2k for it...you could get her down to £1800 now if she still has it, its mint and has FSH and black interior.

POLO "R" registered; black; 78,000 miles; s/h; pas; e/w; alarm; tax/MOT 01/05; £2,295 ono

Tel. 07811 956646 LOUISE…

A444-Griffin Pub…Griff House Hotel

Volkswagen Polo

£2,295

Also check: http://www.porka.net

sanj. 8)

The Fiat is gone :shock: :shock: :D

The first person to see it bought it and for a reasonable £2K.

I've managed to talk her into a polo. Hopefully gonna look at a metallic grey 1.4SE tomorrow.

Then I'm gonna deck it and try and get some RH Cups for it, weather she likes it or not :lol:

it has soo much better build qaulity than the ibiza...

I would disagree with that, I had a 1998 Cupra and it was built just as well as the Polo. Every time I got into I thought that it was the used car bargain of the century.

The following is a 1998 low miles with AC and in Doncaster, which unless there has been a catastrophic earthquake is right round the corner from Rotheram. 8)

shortened link!

*mod edit - shortened your link for you - Henny *

Cheers Storm, I'm going to donny this weekend for a night out, so will have a look. And yep it's not far from good ol' Rotherham

Just thought I'd update.

Couldn't find a decent polo, at the right time so I ended up getting her a Corsa Sport 1.4 16v.

And....... It's a top little motor. (I never thought I'd say that about a corsa)

It shifts too, once you get past 3Krevs it just keeps pulling.

I'm gonna try and get her to put some wheels on it, but as for now it's mint.

1997, 3 owners, metallic bue, electric everything good history. £1950 with tax till next june

my gf has a 1998 16V polo. its quite a good car.

poloside.jpg

its black, and has a much better spec than the normal polo's of that year:

tinted glass / rear lights

height adjustable front seats

height adjustable steering column

leccy windows, PAS, slide n tilt roof. all good

oh and 100 bhp. it goes "ok" i guess. the gears are a little short. (compared to my CVR6)

Last year I got my Girlf a Polo 1.4SE from the auctions.

Bargain and a half and an absolutely stonking motor. Met Green, Alloys, Cheap insurance and running costs and has been so far (touch wood) a superb car with not a spot of bother.

Polo would be my first choice!