Sign in to follow this  
Den_VR6

ECU reset

Disconnect the battery, go make yourself a cup of tea.

Return 20mins later, re-connect the battery, take her for a varied drive.

Only downside is you'll lose your MFA settings and have to reset the clock.

go make yourself a cup of tea

Just a note - Its important that you only use normal tea, If you use herbal stuff, the car will not idle correctly...

go make yourself a cup of tea

Just a note - Its important that you only use normal tea, If you use herbal stuff, the car will not idle correctly...

Yup, the tea stage is very important. I find the PG Optimax with just a dash of milk works best for me.

major problem - I only have coffee experience - am I at risk of completely "Caffeine Overdose" of my ECU then?

if you MUST use coffee then i can only advise you use DECAF

A little more specific here.. Are we talking the traditional cup mongrel-leaved 'builders tea'? Or the more refined and fragrant 'Earl Grey'? And is loose tea being too much of a ponce?

And should I use a pot to brew??! :?

Any advantage in resetting ECU from time to time (annually?) when car seems to be running OK, or do you just do it when you suspect a problem?

Any advantage in resetting ECU from time to time (annually?) when car seems to be running OK, or do you just do it when you suspect a problem?

only it appears if you run out of tea :D :D

Hmm, seem to have gone a little off topic here...is there any good reason why NOT to reset the ECU? Has anyone found that the car runs worse or even won't start at all after ECU reset??

i've never disconnected the battery in motor,however for some work that its had it must have had the battery disconnected for 20mins +.............and i don't recall whoever had it disconnected telling me that they had to do the "ECU reset" procedure :? :?

i've never disconnected the battery in motor,however for some work that its had it must have had the battery disconnected for 20mins +.............and i don't recall whoever had it disconnected telling me that they had to do the "ECU reset" procedure :? :?

There is no 'procedure' involved - 30 seconds without power and the ecu automatically resets itself. There should be no problems caused by resetting it unless you (or a previous owner) has rechipped it previously to take account of another mod but tbh most VW modders have used piggybacks rather than direct remapping.

It's in the knowledge base. Scroll down to the V's and it's there. Never sure if it's really needed in it's entirety. Just as long as you let idle for a bit until the tickover is stable and a few full throttle bursts (WOT) Seems to do it's own thing by itself otherwise. If there is a good reason for the VAG-COM bit let me know! Off for a pint. No, not Tetleys.