Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Just fitted KR cam into 9A - holy moly! What next??

After all you guys recommended doing this mod, it does make quite a big difference! Revs cleanly to the rev limiter now and all hell breaks loose at about 4500rpm.

What next?

Everything else standard apart from Green Cotton Air filter!

yep get a four branch and get shut of your cat as well, pulls better generally - not before MOT time of course :D As flusted said if your timings out it will run hotter - did you stick new tappets in?

yer changed the tappets, and the chain. And it does go quite a bit better. Would recommend the mod to anyone with a 9A engine.

Four branch manifold seems to be the next choice then. Any Recommendations?

I removed the cat from mine, I actually prefur it with it!. It seems to lose mid range power without it.

How many miles has yours done? I changed the injectors at around 140K and that made a noticable improvement. Got mine from Euro car parts, not sure of the exact price, but Euro and GSF were cheapest.

mines a TSR job which is a s/s tubular style, an alternative is 16vG60 off here - i think he ports and polishes the existing manifold and then puts larger diameter downpipes in thus keeping it standard looking with associated better flow to boot, send him a pm or someone who's had it done could advise

i think he ports and polishes the existing manifold and then puts larger diameter downpipes in thus keeping it standard looking with associated better flow to boot, send him a pm or someone who's had it done could advise

That's exactly it, just check his milltek thread for prices and stuff. I highly recommend this, particularly the custom down pipe, when compared to the original it is blatantly obvious how bad the standard one really is.

Given that I haven't touched the engine itself, just the flow out and air flow in, the results are a complete transformation. Mr. engine appears to be perfectly happy and in top shape so I'm loathed to go down the cam/piston route just yet...

...famous last words? :lol:

no matter how much of a improvement the flowing of the cast item makes.....it wil never be as good as a tubular item. The reason for this is that although stictly speaking the exahust is a 4-2-1, the inital 4 primaries are very short, only a few inches. on the TSR and Magnex 4-1 the primaries are a couple of feet long, and on the supersprint 4-2-1 the primaries are around 1 foot, with the 2 to 1 part another 10 inches or so.

What's the difference between a 4-2-1 manifold and 4-1 performance wise. I also have a very rattly centre box (baffles are knackered) Would I be wise to replace this with a straight through pipe? I guess it would change the performance of the engine, but to what effect? I have a supersprint de-cat pipe ready to go on, as well.

4-2-1 gives good mid range, 4-1 would give you better top end. I have seen this myself on a KM1 Golf. Taking off the $-1 and returning to a std setup killed the top end and prevented it from revving out.

Gavin

A while back when blown was deciding on his manifold, i typed this from i book I have.......http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7305&start=7

Cool, that thread is very useful. Might be going for a 4-1 manifold then, but I think I'm going to get that book.....its only £12.59 on Amazon

Thanks

Stu

If you buy 1 you might want to heat wrap it.The hottor the manifold,the quicker it draws the gases out,and also the manifolds in stainless make a tinny noise on acceleration.

I didnt bother with mine tho

are the supersprint manifolds stainless? the reason I asked was cos I had a supersprint manifold on my MK1 Golf, and was under the impression when I bought it that it was stainless steel, but later found out that it was in fact chrome plated mild steel????

From the TSR website - http://www.tsr-performance.com/

£300 for the 4-2-1 and £220 for an exhaust manifold.

Supersprint - Italian made with superb internal design which from our experience during rolling road testing gives more power than other systems.

Systems have stainless steel pipework and mild steel cases to silencer boxes to reduce harmonic resonance. Quiet & powerful systems with 3 years warranty and a selection of tailpipe types including DTM.

My Question is......

I have a cracked exhaust manifold so is it worth upgrading this and the cams at the same time?? And then later on going for the UBR[??] (GVK special, that stealth do with the inlet manifold) mod and a SS exhaust??

Mrbiege, SuperSprint headers have always been stainless, unless yours was a really old one or not SS at all. I used to have a SS purpose-made 16V conversion header in my MK1 16V. It was fantastic and providing the engine mounts are upgraded, there is no danger of fracturing them through metal fatigue.

Dav, yeah? How much for a VR6 one? :lol:

Brando, do each mod in turn, otherwise you won't know which has given the improvements if you do them all in one hit. Another thing to consider is a vernier cam wheel on the 16v. Stealth have seen 10 ft/lb across the range on an Audi 16v just from that alone, so it's gotta be worth a try on a C valver.

I will find out about the Manifolds/exhaust, should have a price for you tomorrow.

I know for sure the manifolds are SS and the exhaust systems are aluminised mild steel. They last for ages and do give good results.

I had a SS manifold on my MK1 16V it was a work of art.

Thanks mate, appreciate that. I just need a price on the stainless 6 branch please. Can you also find out if it's definitely tuned? I.e. equal length from exhaust valves to collectors? I'm pretty sure it is, but I need to know for sure if poss.

Supersprint rear boxes are now full stainless and the other two are as you say, hybrid stainless / mild steel.

I drove a VR6 yesterday with a SuperSprint exhaust and it was superb. Very refined. Slightly deeper idle tone and silence as soon as you step on the gas and doesn't get louder.

I was thinking of changing my exhaust system, but when I had a look under my motor the other day when it was getting its MOT (passed first time) the original one look mint, are they SS or mild?

I have seen a VR SuperSprint manifold and it looks like a piece of modern art, would love one of the just for the under hood “bling” factor.