Sign in to follow this  
godskitchen

Points of view please guys..........

Ok i am going to be getting some new alloys soon, the age old question is................ which ones?

I really like the R32 alloys my questions are:

1:they are 18", will my ride go to pot?

2:will i have any sillyness like not being able to get full lock?

3:how will the car handel?

4:My car is not lowered, how low will i be able to go with 18"s

Thanks in advance, also feel free to chip in with any alloys you think will be a good overall package!

18" are too big for a 'rado, IMHO. the ride will deteriorate as well due to the low profile you will need to run on. I'd say 17" is maximum.

The Audi A8 alloys look nice and they do them in 17s. Does anyone know if they are as light as the standard Corrado speedlines? or has anyone driven a Corrado with both?

Thanks in advance, also feel free to chip in with any alloys you think will be a good overall package!

17" are perfect - they look big without the hard ride of the 18".

What you really need is a set of polished 17" TT alloys taken from another VR6 ...

Click here for more

Somebody posted some pics of there corrado on R32 alloys a while back and they did look a bit too big for the car.

I would go for 17s if you want bigger alloys

I like cans.

Sorry, should that be Kahns or something.

Anyway, I have always thought they looked great on the cars Ive seen in magazines.

I like cans.

Sorry, should that be Kahns or something.

Anyway, I have always thought they looked great on the cars Ive seen in magazines.

My vr had Kahn's on it when i bought it,

tbh if i were you...........i would get the suspension lowered(nothing too drastic 30mm should be fine) first before buying bigger alloys.......as your suspension will more than likely be A) needing replaced if its original and B)give a Land Rover vertigo :shock: :shock: ............which in turn will make bigger alloys look sillier :wink:

Always liked the VR6 on Kahns... Rams's VR6 looked superb and it looks like your car looked equally good on em Gareth :)

Always liked the VR6 on Kahns... Rams's VR6 looked superb and it looks like your car looked equally good on em Gareth :)

Yea they never looked bad on them, but they were in such a bad state when i got the car, they needed refurbishin at best, The bbs came along at a nice price so they were confined to the loft. The bbs i think make it look more original and a bit more grown up.

I think most five spokes look good on Corrado's though

Crazymarcel, could the Khans be for sale ??????? theyw old look the nutz on mine im jus imagining it lol

Crazymarcel, could the Khans be for sale ??????? theyw old look the nutz on mine im jus imagining it lol

They could be, but they are 5 stud, and they have no tyres and need a refurb, dint think noone would want them how they are so was just holding on to them until i could afford a refurb and maybe a colour change on them/.

I cant believe anyone likes the drive off 17" wheels on a corrado, I brought my raddo with 17" OZ alloys on them and I really am going to trade them in as soon as possible.

1.) The tram lineing is an absolute nightmare on Britains shite roads.

2.) As I found out to my boxer shorts worst nightmare, I hit some heavy water on the motorway at 110+ on the way down to Exeter at the weekend and I have never shit myself so much, the car was more like torvil and dean (on a good day) luckily enough a clear head and foot off the pedal kept me away from harm.

3.) It affects the speedo reading on my raddo (possibly not so much on others)

4.) The overall drive is so so so different to 15" or even 16"

The above is ofcourse my personal opinion but I thought I would put it across.

I cant believe anyone likes the drive off 17" wheels on a corrado, I brought my raddo with 17" OZ alloys on them and I really am going to trade them in as soon as possible.

1.) The tram lineing is an absolute nightmare on Britains shite roads.

2.) As I found out to my boxer shorts worst nightmare, I hit some heavy water on the motorway at 110+ on the way down to Exeter at the weekend and I have never s*** myself so much, the car was more like torvil and dean (on a good day) luckily enough a clear head and foot off the pedal kept me away from harm.

3.) It affects the speedo reading on my raddo (possibly not so much on others)

4.) The overall drive is so so so different to 15" or even 16"

The above is ofcourse my personal opinion but I thought I would put it across.

The ride from 17s is hard to get right and it's largely down to 3 important things:-

1) Suspension - has to be top notch

2) Tyre choice

3) Wheel weight

Get those things right and the ride is barely any different to stock. Over the last couple of months, I've used the original 15s, 16s and now 17s. I can honestly say the ride is better than 16s and comparable to the 15s.

As for your points:-

1) Depends what model of C. VR6s had 205 section as standard, so going to 17s won't affect tramlining, but go too shallow on the offset and it might, but not drastically so.

2) Don't drive at 110 in the wet! Even the best rain tyres struggle to disperse standing water at those speeds, you'll just skate along the top of it.

3) 215x40x17 gives the same reading as 205x50x15, as confirmed on GPS, not sure what 205x40x17 gives. 205x45x16 is spot on too.

4) I do know what you mean but as said earlier, that is largely down to wheel weight and tyre choice.

If you drove mine on it's 8x17, I guarantee you'll change your opinion.

Well I'm back on the 15's but am thinking about 16's so I can atleast get some good breaks.

The roads my way are proper country blasting roads and were horrid on the 17's so they got sold!

The shock you had on the motorway is probably more from naff tyres though?

17's for looks, 15's for handling/excelleration and 16's for the compromise

I don't know what it is about the RH ZW1s and 215x40x17 F1s but the combination works beautifully. The RHs are exceptionally light, which helps, and the F1s (GSD3s) are soft. Every bump I drove over after I fitted them was met with a cringe, expecting the worst.....but the suspension just absorbs the bumps with no crashiness, jerking of the wheel or anything.

The ride is certainly more compliant than my 16s, but the 16s feel more planted in the dry and the steering more accurate, but I put that down to the Bridgestones which are a much firmer tyre than the F1.

I put some brand new Michelin 205/40/17s on 1 mth ago Kev as I had heard they were awesome for the wet weather, I will give you full details of my tyres when I come back into work tom.

One I give you full details ( Ill pm you) Would appreciate ya feedback on getting my 17's running smooth as they do look sweet.