Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Toyo T1-S's REALLY don't do wet weather...

I don't know if I was just spoiled by my Eagle F1 GSD-3's, but these Toyo's are actually quite terrifying in the wet. I was humiliating a guy in a BMW 325i Sport on the way home tonight, but when I went to give it some go in 3rd gear the car broke traction from about 3,000RPM And then again in 4th slightly?!

I mean my car is torque'y but, I didnt really think it would lose grip in the wet quite so easily. I locked up in the wet in my Saxo with Toyo's on and now this.. I gotta admit I am starting to see why these are a relatively budget tyre :(

Well I got a great deal on them from Darren so they were worth it. And I had heard lots of people saying they were a great wet tyre.

I dunno - no real point to this thread but I just thought it was time for another tyre discussion :)

Get some *cough* RE-720's ;)

Are they the shredded one's :lol: :lol:

:lol: yeah they're rather soft...

How many miles have you done on them?

Sounds like they are still quite green and could do with some more miles on them before you see the proper grip.

Only use my Toyos (on the Mk2 Storm Rocco) in the dry, so can't comment on the performance in the wet :oops: But I do love them in the dry.

Tempest

Dave's comment totally seconded.

Chassis aside, the only thing stopping you sliding off the road is the tyres. Was it an E30 BMW 325is? If it was, oh dear, 170bhp mate :( It must have been non-standard as I used to have one and they're not that quick at all, but they do have an LSD on the rear axle though.....which helps in sh1t weather. If it was and E36 325i, then 190 bhp, so not to embarrassing. Used to have one of those too 8) Good cars.

Speaking of humiliation. I used to have T1-Ss on my MK1 16V. Picture the scene - steep ramp up to an upper level in an outdoor carpark in winter, covered in ice. F reg XR3i gets up no problem......ah good, so I follow him up.....half way up the icey ramp, the feckin car loses grip and slides back down the ramp. The guys in the XR saw my antics and got out once they'd parked up and tried to push my MK1 up the ramp, but to no avail.... it slid down the ramp and I gouged my wings on the concrete wall :?

Feckin Toyo sh1t..... I've never used them since and never will again. Bridgestone only for me from now on.....humph!

Should be run in by then i would think, especially as they do appear soft from what i have heard.

Could have just been a bad bit of road especially in this weather.

Must admit though coming from Goodyear F1's you wont really get many tyres that can compete with them in the wet :wink:

I''m going to defend Toyos as a wet weather tyre. I've never had any trouble with them in the wet, even at the two trackdays I've done where it's rained.

This view is also reinforced by a whole stack of magazine tyre tests over the years, which consistently place the T1-S in the top 25% of performers in wet tests.

2p spent... ker-plinck!

Finally someone agrees with me that Toyo Poxeys are sh1t in the wet. Pretty good in the dry but absolutely ar5e in the wet. Scary in fact.

Eagle F1's are "THE" tyre to get for the winter months.

Jay

I''m going to defend Toyos as a wet weather tyre. I've never had any trouble with them in the wet, even at the two trackdays I've done where it's rained.

This view is also reinforced by a whole stack of magazine tyre tests over the years, which consistently place the T1-S in the top 25% of performers in wet tests.

Aye, but 25% is only 1/4... and if you've had F1's on which are undisputedly the best in the wet it's gonna be a shock.

had toyos 1st time round and got the front replaced recently abt 3k ago and honestly i dunno if it was a bad batch but the new ones not as grippy as the older ones i had :roll:

Aye, but 25% is only 1/4... and if you've had F1's on which are undisputedly the best in the wet it's gonna be a shock.

have you tried toyos then dinkus??

Was a new shape (like 2002) 325i Kev - according to Parkers they hover around the 190BHP mark, and the guy was definately going all out but as I say once I gained traction finally, I did catch up with him and he had to get out of the way.

I also did try a quicker corner this evening with the proxes with power - on that same corner I know my Eagles just remained planted no matter what.. and with the camber of the road as it was I can normally throw any car into it without any problem, but I am definately experiencing understeer now with these tyres where there never was any before.

Think I could do with getting the car down to AMD for a full laser alignment though to be fair. Had suspension lowered, raised, new wheels, different tyres, etc in the time i've had the car so its probably not properly set up!

have you tried toyos then dinkus??

Nope, and I don't intend to either. I'll let other people review them for me and base my decision on what they say relative to the tyres I know.

I was just pointing out that the top 25% is a pretty big chunk.

The new shape Bimmers are quite quick mate, a lot of low down torque, so I wouldn't dwell on that too much.

My MK1 was laser aligned just after fitting the T1-S and they where about 6 months old at the time of the ramp incident. They're just rubbish tyres, period. Don't even come close to F1 and Bridgestone levels of grip in the wet and *nothing* has a patch on Bridgestone dry grip. Michelins come close though and the Pilot Sport (if you can afford it) is an awesome tyre....Michelin and Bridgee are the only two tyres good enough for F1, enough said.

I've been in several cars wearing T1S's, always extremly good grip in the dry for the money but they wear twice as quickly as the A539's (I'm just using them as a comparison as they are roughly he same price) and in the wet they are next to useless! - the 539's aren't the best in the wet but when compared to the Toyo's they are in a different class! - I don't think Toyo really manufacture tyres for our weather/climate.

Michelin and Bridgee are the only two tyres good enough for F1, enough said.

Oh don't pull that one out. Michelin and Bridgee have enough money to piss away on F1 and that's about it. It's not like they then go and use much/any of that on their road tyres.

Michelin and Bridgee are the only two tyres good enough for F1, enough said.

Oh don't pull that one out. Michelin and Bridgee have enough money to p*** away on F1 and that's about it. It's not like they then go and use much/any of that on their road tyres.

thats exactly right...they pay bernie loads of money aswell

A539s I like in the wet.....but they're too soft for my liking as a bit of flint wrote off one of A539s a few years ago.

Yep, I've tried em all boys and girls....and the only tyres I will consider using are Continental Sport Contact, Bridgestone RE720, F1 GSD3 and Michelin Pilot Sport. The rest are just imitators, would the real shadey please stand up.