Sign in to follow this  
dog

What to do????

Guys need peoples thoughts,

At the moment Have got a saxo VTR 2001 13k ont he clock car,

Am very much getting a Corrado but the thing that is sticking in my mind is changing from a car that has done 13k to a car that has done 100k???

Am i Mad or stupid or just doing the right thing and swapping while I can afford it and while the Saxo is still worth some money???

Cheers

Dog

I have a Frod Racing Puma with 13k on the clock, my Rado G60 has 95k on the clock - I take the Rado every time I've got the choice - high mileage and age isn't a concern its a lot more to do with the way its been maintained and cared for.

JUST DO IT - you'll never regret it, I know I haven't

ditch the saxo while it is still worth something

in a couple of years it will be worth a packet of love hearts and half a curly wurly.

look at the cars objectively, rather than on "age" or mileage.

you are DEFINATELY doing the right thing though bro.

beside which, a saxo with 30k feels like a corrado with 200k (only with more squeaks . . . )

vtrs arent known for their longevity. at the moment its probably still nice and tightish (if the seats havent started wobbling yet)

A friend of mine had a Bora with 46k on the clock, immaculate. He took a ride in my C, and just from the sound of that VR6 engine in second gear and he was sold, two days later he owned his own C VR6 and is very, very happy with it. Bora sold. Corrado's aren't cheap to run and something always needs replacing on a 100k car, but the satisfaction you get from it and its rarity makes it 100% worth it!!!! I almost considered getting a low mile boring a-b car, so glad I didn't...

in a couple of years it will be worth a packet of love hearts and half a curly wurly.

Are Curly Wurlys still about?

I'd say losing the Saxo to get a Corrado is a good move. Saxos are alright for what they are but I wouldn't want to have an accident in one.

Just bear in mind that the Corrado is not by any means a cheap car to run, especially when compared to the peanuts that a Saxo costs.

The Corrado is a far nicer car to drive and generally have, but you have to prepare yourself for what owning an older car entails. Things will break on it and will cost you a fair amount to repair. But all you have to do is go out for a drive when everything is working and you'll be grinning ear to ear.

Have a peruse round on here and take a look at the buying-guide to see what kinds of things to look out for and likely repair costs. It's also hightly recommended to shop around. There are a lot of tired Corrados out there that have been abused and will cost you a lot to put right. As long as you know that, then it's fine, but don't just buy one because it's cheap...there will always be a reason. The last thing you want to do is buy one and end up having to sell it a few months later because it's cost you too much.

Having said all of this, if you get a good one you'll love it forever and become attached at the buttock(s). :D :lol:

Do it! Make the switch while you can get a good price for the Saxo, and buy a car that has stopped depreciating (as I keep trying to tell my insurance company :mad: ).

Cheers,

Tom

it will be worth a packet of love hearts and half a curly wurly.

Someobdy watches Bottom... (TV program, not the... ah you get the idea) :D

Hi dog..

Well I guess if anyone on here can talk about Saxo -> Corrado ownership, its me - I went from a 1994 Corrado 2.0 16v to a 2001 Saxo VTR and then back up to a 1992 Corrado G60.

Going up to the Corrado is an entirely different kettle of fish, really it is. Running costs going up by quite a considerable amount.. for starters to insure my Saxo was £570 - my Corrado is around £1300. Petrol used to be £27 a tank on the VTR - its a shade under £50 on the Corrado. And obviously the Saxo was far more economical. The Corrado is an old car so budget for repairs and things breaking on a reasonably regular basis.

BUT...

Saxo's are depreciating quite a lot - I lost around £2000 in one year on mine so I reasoned getting another Corrado was perfectly acceptable as, unless I picked up a timebomb, it was unlikely i'd have to spend that much on repairs and would be able to recoup nearly what I paid for it again whenever it is I come to sell it. Corrado's are fast, fun, and I kinda like that 'people who know cars' like Corrado's whereas the Saxo is unfortunately tarred with the Nova's reputation.

If you have some seriously disposable income then go for it. If you are on a bit of a budget and your Saxo is just about right for you financially, then avoid at all costs.