Sign in to follow this  
AdamB

The windscreen wiper debate

I have read with interest, the general feeling on lack of quality of the Corrado wipers. Shortly after acquiring my C, I drew the same conclusion, but was unwilling to fork out over 50 notes for the Lupo upgrade.

So taking a gamble, I figured all that was needed was more pressure on the blade as it sweeps. So I purchased a Bosch 19s blade from Halfords, in a hope that the incorporated spoiler would help provide the extra downforce. So far, the results have been very good, and at "private road" speeds in heavy rain, I have had no problems with clearing the water from the windscreen.

I know I may be one of the lucky ones that this has proven to be an economical fix for, but at £10 for the Blade, it was certainly a lot cheaper than a full Lupo upgrade!

So for those who haven't gone down the new arms and blade route, I would suggest giving these a try first. You could save some cash!

Body mods for this......i think :wink:

btw prior to the lupo upgrade there was also a "dremel" mod for the wiper arm to create more pressure on to the screen

Body mods for this......i think :wink:

Apologies, still fumbling my way around here! :?

no worries its quite a hard one to pigeon-hole tbh as it is a mod but it aint a tuning one as such :? :? :? :? body mods appeared to be the best place.......i think :? :?

The lupo mod is only £40 and theres no comparison.The prssure the arms apply to the screen is amazing and the blades are spring curved so also apply pressure. If that doesnt convince you then they also look 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tried a bosch spoiler wiper blade myself before upgrading to lupo wipers, but unfortunately the spoiler was just cheap crap plastic, and I managed to break the bloody spoiler off before I'd even fit the wiper. :mad: Also, I do think the lupo wipers look good - I didn't think they would and wasn't too keen, but once fitted I really liked the look (and of course they work)..

yesterday i bent my wiper arms slightly so that they apply more pressure to the blades.

job done, they work fine now.

thats all you need to do.

my wiper blades have no spoilers either.

yesterday i bent my wiper arms slightly so that they apply more pressure to the blades.

job done, they work fine now.

thats all you need to do.

my wiper blades have no spoilers either.

yeah, I tried that but TBH it looks crap compared to the Lupo ones, especially from inside the car, the lupo ones create virtually no obstruction to vision compared to the C ones, especially slightly bent C ones.

Mine are on order now.

David.

I did the dremmel mod, and the bent arm mod, and had Bosch spoiler blades on my car just after I first got it... the lupo wipers still showed the original wipers up for the pile of poo they were! :roll: :lol:

Lupo GTI wipers all the way for me... 8)

i bent my wiper arms slightly so that they apply more pressure to the blades.

LOL - i did this too - but i am a cheapskate :lol:

My tuppence worth -

Had the Bosch, they looked cheap and nasty and althouth slightly better, still didn't clear windscreen that well.

The lupo wipers were and are ACE - they look excellent, they clear the screen better than any other car i have owned at any speed , leave no streaks at all and if you befriend your local dealer he might give you a discount bringing them down to just over £30 (like one i went to)

£30 for all that, what are you waiting for - when parts for your C end up being so expensive sometimes, you can't begrudge a 3 tenners worth!

J 8)

btw prior to the lupo upgrade there was also a "dremel" mod for the wiper arm to create more pressure on to the screen

I did the 'dremel' mod on mine (although I don't have a dremel, so I used a small file, and it took bloody ages). Its not bad, especially alongside some rain-X, and is as good as my old Mk2 golf was, so I'm happy for the meantime.

I've done the dremmel mod, 19s wiper on the drivers side and bent the arms. They work ok but the arms looked ridiculous.

After closer inspection the spindles which the arms attach to were not at 90 degrees to the screen, the problem lies in the mounting of the wiper mechanism. It is quite week, and after some careful tweeking of the pressed steel chassis and re-fitting the spindles are now perpendicular to the screen, which appiles more pressure. They work fine now with nice straight arms and standard blades.

My only complaint really is that they are a little slow, but VW have always been stingy using underpowered/slow wiper motors.

£0 for that if you use your current arms and blades, what are you waiting for :wink:

The lupo mod is only £40 and theres no comparison.The prssure the arms apply to the screen is amazing and the blades are spring curved so also apply pressure. If that doesnt convince you then they also look 8) 8) 8) 8)

I think had I bought a standard VR6, then I would have gone for this mod, but because my Storm is in its original wrapper, I dont want to do any visual mods to the styling.

I agree, they do look really good, far better than the original ones. I just want to keep the original look, and this minor mod of a spoiler is an acceptable upgrade, with some good results.

I went to my local VW garage and they wanted £77 for two lupo blades and 2 arms! Where can you get them for normal money?

Neil g60, read the stickied thread about this, you don't order the arms and blades seperatly, you order 2 of the same set number which incluedes an arm and a blade! - should be no more than £20 each

Firstly, for those of you asking about the Lupo wiper mod Look at the Lupo wiper how-to to see how you do it :roll:

A slightly better variant on that, which gives a slightly better fit, is to use a driver and passenger blade on 2x driver arms. However, the driver's side blade works perfectly on both sides, so I just went for that (cheaper!) option. When it comes to blade replacing time, I'll then probably put a different combo of blades on to give maximum fit. If you're really bothered, you can easily weld a Lupo blade in place instead of your existing arm too.

Bending the standard arms - looks shite and it's a bit of a bodge to say the least. It also doesn't seem to work too well.

Dremel trick - is a bit of a pain, removes the paint from the arm (so it'll rust unless you paint it), and doesn't do that much of a great job.

King of the standard looking mods - use the Lupo arms and fit standard blades (with some slight boring out of the holes). You get a perfectly good wipe and it keeps it looking standard.

Just my 2p :)

Bending the wiper arms and/or the dremmel mod is as Dinkus says a bit of a bodge. Rather than solving problem, you are modifying everything else to skirt around it.

Crazymarcel made a very valid point when I spoke to him the other day at the rolling road shoot out, "They must have worked ok originally otherwise there would have been complaints from journelist etc when Corrados came out".

Over time the pressure of the arms cause the spindles to tip away from there required angle causing lack of pressure, bending the arms kind of solves this and eventually the arms hit the stops which the dremmel can solve.

The wiper mechanism mounting is not strong enough and fatigues, once I realised this, I removed the whole mechanism and twisted it to regain the required angle. I then straightened my bent arms and it works fine.

At the weekend i'll strip it out and take pics etc to show how its done anyone is interested.

In light of the above the only reason to use Lupo wipers, is to update the looks, and they do look cool.

This problem also explains why some people have better results with Lupo wipers that others, due to some peoples spindles being at a worse angle than others. :mrgreen:

Bending the wiper arms and/or the dremmel mod is as Dinkus says a bit of a bodge. Rather than solving problem, you are modifying everything else to skirt around it.

Crazymarcel made a very valid point when I spoke to him the other day at the rolling road shoot out, "They must have worked ok originally otherwise there would have been complaints from journelist etc when Corrados came out".

Over time the pressure of the arms cause the spindles to tip away from there required angle causing lack of pressure, bending the arms kind of solves this and eventually the arms hit the stops which the dremmel can solve.

The wiper mechanism mounting is not strong enough and fatigues, once I realised this, I removed the whole mechanism and twisted it to regain the required angle. I then straightened my bent arms and it works fine.

At the weekend i'll strip it out and take pics etc to show how its done anyone is interested.

In light of the above the only reason to use Lupo wipers, is to update the looks, and they do look cool.

This problem also explains why some people have better results with Lupo wipers that others, due to some peoples spindles being at a worse angle than others. :mrgreen:

Ahhh very cunning. Always good to have new information!