Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

what worn rear mountings look like

Thought you might like to see the difference between 135,000 mile rear spring packing and top mounts.

One part is the lower top mounting (bit the car sits on) the other is the rubber that the top of the rear spring sits in under the spring top plate.

The parts are the original VAG ones next to new Genuine VAG ones of exactly the same part numbers (the spring packing has been superceeded by a slightly modified part as you can just see in the pic)

Not surprisingly these bits have got well squashed over time.

What you can't see is the constituency of the rubber has also really deteriorated too, not sure how much difference changing these has made, apart from increasing the rear ride height slightly, but they were only a few quid when I was changing the dampers anyway.

David.

Call me slightly sceptical but I'll bet the majority of the deformation takes place during the first 20k miles. I mean, it's worth replacing them if you've got the thing in bits cos the rubber *does* degrade over time, but the physical dimension of the part is less important I'd think.

Just replaced my rear shocks and bumpstops, couldnt believe the state of my top plate, hoping its gonna give me a better ride now that ive replaced it all Bumpstops, shockers, and top plates!

So have you checked your rear beam bushes? if you think these are grim, i'm sure you will find the beam bushes even worse ! All worthwhile being done if you are seeking to regain the acclaimed handling wqualities of the Corrado as new.

So have you checked your rear beam bushes? if you think these are grim, i'm sure you will find the beam bushes even worse ! All worthwhile being done if you are seeking to regain the acclaimed handling wqualities of the Corrado as new.

I've got rear axle axle bushes, front drop links, drop link to wishbone bushes, front and rear wishbone bushes, bottom ball joints and front ARB bushes to go on, just got to make the time to do them now!

David.

So how does one fix the 100k miles+ play that develops in the steering UJs?

don't say "buy new ones" they're £200+ notes...

So how does one fix the 100k miles+ play that develops in the steering UJs?

don't say "buy new ones" they're £200+ notes...

i have the same problem!

any answers to this?

I've never seen rear bushes *that* compressed before. Some seriously high milages on those, or cars that have had their boots put to good use in the past!

Mine looked barely worn at 93K.....but I replaced them anyway as it's silly putting old parts back on again.

UJs.... unless you can get a very low mileage one from a broken Golf VR, eBay or new are you only options.

When i lowered my suspension( Vipertech from Venom) i did the powerflex thing with the wishbones and sub frame at the front and that tightened up the steering considerably. I suspect the wishbone bushes had most effect on this! :lol: